Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you support the return of football at WSU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We can't spell St. Lewis or Seaton Hall right, but at least we nailed Prairie.
    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
      Let's be real here. That post by bardo means exactly what I/you/we think it means.

No rational person even comes close to making that statement he just made without there being a really good reason to rile everyone up like that.
      He tweeted he was meeting with consultants about the future of the athletic department. Im pretty sure this was just part of their presentation. If anything its him saying "this is serious"

Comment

• I have always been firm in my believe that the chances of football coming back to WSU were below 50/50.

That just changed.

Comment

• If Marshall wants football then so do I. Whatever it takes to move up in the world.

Comment

• The doctor is going to lose all credibility with this football stuff. Which will hurt funding for the stuff that really matters to WSU. I hope he moves on quickly, because this hasn't been good thus far.

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post
              The doctor is going to lose all credibility with this football stuff. Which will hurt funding for the stuff that really matters to WSU. I hope he moves on quickly, because this hasn't been good thus far.
              Uhhhh...

?

Comment

The doctor is going to lose all credibility with this football stuff. Which will hurt funding for the stuff that really matters to WSU. I hope he moves on quickly, because this hasn't been good thus far.
                I really hope my meter isn't broken.
                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Huh?
                  "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Could be good (unlikely) or bad (likely)

History: We were in the first game to throw a forward pass. We hired the first D1 Black football coach. We have the record for the longest fieldgoal in D1 (which was later tied).

Good: Would allow us to leave the MVC for one of the football conferences, which would be good for athletics. I don't think that's likely, as the geographically close one, the Big 12, would likely have a member to the NE of here throw a hissy fit, if we were invited. The others are unlikely: Pac12 (nearest: Colorado), Big10 (nearest: Nebraska), SEC (nearest: Missouri) to want a new member with a brand new football program. I do think the Big 12, with it's member to the NE, and near parity with WSU football is the most likely.

Bad: Football. I've been to a Shocker football game. (Don't remember it, but I'm told we were up by like 36 and lost by a point.) While we were on of the first teams to throw a forward pass, I think we should leave the program in the past. Barring it being required for change of conference. I'll break down a couple of points (in no particular order):

First: Marshall has said he doesn't want to be at a football school. I think it's part of the reason he's here.

Second: Money, unless the donors want to fund it entirely, it's going to hurt the university. The WSU budget is already under attack from Topeka, and is likely to see reduced funding, thanks to the Legislature's tax screwups. Spending money on a program which doesn't help and will hurt the university's primary focus on academics is a BAD idea. WSU is a pretty good university, minus a few areas. Really great in some areas, such as Aerospace Engineering. Throwing money down into a hole was the reason we closed it, and that was a good thing, for the university at that time.

Third: Parking, We just turned the lot west of Jabara into a dorm. People complain about parking already. Can you imagine 3x the number of people trying to park as go to basketball, now? (I remember when it was used before, and I seem to recall a lot more parking.)

Fourth: Facilities. From what I've heard, Cessna stadium is currently stable, but there were concerns about it in the near term. (Granted, it's along the grape vine) Due to lack of maintenance. (To be fair, it was a few years ago, and they might have dealt with the issues, I do seem to recall a new batch of paint since then.) We'd likely need to renovate the stadium's facilities.

Fifth: People, how many people will support it? I don't think we'll be seeing a lot of people unless it's successful, especially when they play (Fall/Winter) outside in Kansas. Chipping Ice off the baseball seats is bad enough. and the baseball program seems to be seeing a lot less people after it's been down.

Sixth: Conference, if we do football, we will probably need to move to another conference, because if we spend the money on it, we don't want it to be on a non-FBS (or whatever it's called now) conference. The MVC football is not.

I don't like the idea, unless there's a guarantee that ALL funding for the program and facilities are donor supplied. In that case, it might not be a bad idea, depending on conference changes. If we just join the MVC football conference: then that's a no, in my book.

Edit: Holy crap did that mangle formatting. Try 2

Comment

• I'm more confused by the comments from boltforge and proshox than I am the tweets by Bardo. Care to elaborate?

Comment

• Some might not support football, but unless WSU decides to go private again it will more than likely be a necessary evil to any potential conference realignment.

No you could make the argument that KU is in a major conference without a football program and I would have no argument for that!
                        The Assman

Comment

• I think fot the first time I have to disagree with proshox.
                          In the fast lane

Comment

• please,elaborate?
                            Hows my post? send me feedback at 1-800-f$%k-off

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker_for_a_long_time View Post
                              Could be good (unlikely) or bad (likely) History: We were in the first game to throw a forward pass. We hired the first D1 Black football coach. We have the record for the longest fieldgoal in D1 (which was later tied). Good: Would allow us to leave the MVC for one of the football conferences, which would be good for athletics. I don't think that's likely, as the geographically close one, the Big 12, would likely have a member to the NE of here throw a hissy fit, if we were invited. The others are unlikely: Pac12 (nearest: Colorado), Big10 (nearest: Nebraska), SEC (nearest: Missouri) to want a new member with a brand new football program. I do think the Big 12, with it's member to the NE, and near parity with WSU football is the most likely. Bad: Football. I've been to a Shocker football game. (Don't remember it, but I'm told we were up by like 36 and lost by a point.) While we were on of the first teams to throw a forward pass, I think we should leave the program in the past. Barring it being required for change of conference. I'll break down a couple of points: First: Marshall has said he doesn't want to be at a football school. I think it's part of the reason he's here. Second: Money, unless the donors want to fund it entirely, it's going to hurt the university. The WSU budget is already under attack from Topeka, and is likely to see reduced funding, thanks to the Legislature's tax screwups. Spending money on a program which doesn't help and will hurt the university's primary focus on academics is a BAD idea. WSU is a pretty good university, minus a few areas. Really great in some areas, such as Aerospace Engineering. Throwing money down into a hole was the reason we closed it, and that was a good thing, for the university at that time. Third: Parking, We just turned the lot west of Jabara into a dorm. People complain about parking already. Can you imagine 3x the number of people trying to park as go to basketball, now? (I remember when it was used before, and I seem to recall a lot more parking.) Fourth: Facilities. From what I've heard, Cessna stadium is currently stable, but there were concerns about it in the near term. (Granted, it's along the grape vine) Due to lack of maintenance. (To be fair, it was a few years ago, and they might have dealt with the issues, I do seem to recall a new batch of paint since then.) We'd likely need to renovate the stadium's facilities. Fifth: People, how many people will support it? I don't think we'll be seeing a lot of people unless it's successful, especially when they play (Fall/Winter) outside in Kansas. Chipping Ice off the baseball seats is bad enough. and the baseball program seems to be seeing a lot less people after it's been down. Sixth: Conference, if we do football, we will probably need to move to another conference, because if we spend the money on it, we don't want it to be on a non-FBS (or whatever it's called now) conference. The MVC football is not. I don't like the idea, unless there's a guarantee that ALL funding for the program and facilities are donor supplied. In that case, it might not be a bad idea, depending on conference changes. If we just join the MVC football conference: then that's a no, in my book.
                              Uh...someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Athletic Department budget separate from the WSU academic budget? Obviously things like student fees may be added, but that would be added, not taking away anything else.
                              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Would Bill Parcells coach a CFB team? Go big or go home Dr. Bardo!

Comment

Working...
                                X