Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you support the return of football at WSU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by proshox View Post
    It takes a load of $$$ to fund football.

$$$ comes from donors. These same donors are a big part of our current success in a number of academic and athletic arenas.

I assume our donors are intelligent people. I assume intelligent people are likely to see this as big waste of money and a huge liability for WSU.

Now let's pretend you are an intelligent donor and you are asked to meet with WSU leadership. During this meeting you are asked to put up a large sum of $$$ for what you view as a "fool's errand." How do you feel? How likely are you to support the next reasonable project?

Finally, how many major donors do we have? how many of these donors are needed for football? How many can we afford to offend?
    I'm not sold on football, but you're mostly projecting your own feelings into the above. When you write from your own imagination that is usually considered fiction.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
      That's what they pay consultants to do.
      EXACTLY!!!
      "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Men's Sports forum going to see more page views today than the last 18 months combined.

Comment

• Lastly, why invest in a sport that, I believe, will be dead in 40 years?
          The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

I assume intelligent people are likely to see this as big waste of money and a huge liability for WSU.
            This is where your argument breaks down. That's an opinion, not an assumption.
            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
              Men's Sports forum going to see more page views today than the last 18 months combined.
              It's good for the game.
              "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Lastly, why invest in a sport that, I believe, will be dead in 40 years?
                One of the better points I've seen.
                ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Now let's pretend you are an intelligent donor and you are asked to meet with WSU leadership. During this meeting you are asked to put up a large sum of $$$ for what you view as a "fool's errand." How do you feel? How likely are you to support the next reasonable project?
                  A good fundraiser NEVER asks for a donation on the first visit. Ask for advice on the first visit. If there is further interest, you continue cultivating that relationship until it is appropriate to ask for the gift. In some cases, it is like proposing for marriage. You don't ask the question until you know the answer you will get.
                  78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                    In some cases, it is like proposing for marriage. You don't ask the question until you know the answer you will get.
                    So THAT'S what I've been doing wrong...

Comment

Valid point. Certainly the health concerns about football are significant and relevant.

Two counter points:

First, if football is dead in 40 years, then college athletics as we know it will be dead too, so it won't matter.

Also, I once saw a news report that stated that high schools are starting to drop football. The examples cited were small schools with 30 and 40 in a class. One was a small town near STL. Another was in NJ area. Get back to me when schools like Odessa Permian (TX), De La Salle (CA), and Jenks (OK) start having trouble getting kids to play football.
                      78-65

Comment

• Why is anytime something is talked about either being built, moving into or coming over the good hearted souls of Wichita's first response is "But where will we park"

If parking is any part of your concerns just seriously leave the conversation. You wanna know where you will park? In a parking lot. Will you have to walk? Yes get over it. Are you gonna cry about "lack of parking" and proclaim you'll never attend and event there? Well now you're just being a whiny ass cry baby. Shut up

now with that said... IMO Bardo has done some thing which really coincides with trying to grow Wichita State into more of a traditional school as compared to the commuter school it has been in the past (and currently still) Shocker Hall was a huge step forward in that. I'm sure the new dorms (when they ever get built) will be a huge step as well
                        With the basketball program being on the level that it is is only going to help.

Comment

This is my general feeling toward football at any level.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                            This is where your argument breaks down. That's an opinion, not an assumption.
                            I am not intelligent, but I do happen to know intelligent people. These intelligent people tell me it is a bad idea; therefore, I made an assumption.

Comment

I think that's the best argument against bringing back football.

The counter to that is: So for the next 40 years the football conferences will pump football money into their basketball programs. Meanwhile, we'll languish in the MVC while the football schools separate themselves in the sport likely to be football's successor.
                              "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• I'm not happy about this for football. I'm actually down on football as a sport as of late. What I'm happy about is being at the point where we van finally erase the damage done to us by Lew Perkins and the KU-led Board of Regents in the 80's. Even if football as a sport goes away, if we can use it to leverage ourselves into a better conference, so that the MBB program can get the benefits enjoyed by far inferior programs (e.g.: Northwestern), I'm all for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X