Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you support the return of football at WSU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not quite sure why people are taking sides at this point in time. President Bardo simply said they were going to perform a study, nothing more. I read in the paper that a football player from the 60's, living in Florida, is absolutely against its return. Why wouldn't we want to hear the results of the study before taking such a stance?
    Last edited by wusphlash; December 23, 2015, 07:30 PM.
    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
      :None of this sounds likely, so I'm wondering how much of Bardo's "looking into football" is just lip service to those wanting football or to show our willingness for football to other FBS conferences. We would certainly need their help in making the arrangements to get to the FBS level and I don't think that's going to happen.

Anyone have any other scenarios?
      Unless it's the big money donors that are putting pressure on Bardo to examine bringing back football (which I doubt is the case), then I find it hard to believe that Bardo would have any desire to bring this up to pay "lip service." What does he gain by opening this can of worms if he already knows the outcome? Prior to Bardo's announcement, the bring back football crowd has been very quiet, almost non-existent.

If you have not already done so, I urge everyone to read the cover story of the latest issue of the Shocker magazine from the WSU alumni association. I think you will see that Bardo has outlined 3 clear objectives for his administration that are all impacted considerably by the presence or absence of football.

1. Increase enrollment - despite the emergence of the innovations campus, WSU's enrollment remains stagnant. Could Bardo be hearing that a major factor in not attracting more traditional students to campus is the absence of football? I would venture to say this is most likely the case. If football is not feasible, is there another sports program such as soccer that would help to attract students?

2. Increase quality of life on campus - again nothing screams more than a traditional college experience than having football on campus in the fall. #1 and #2 obviously are closely tied together.

3. Academics - as an emerging research university does WSU belong in the MVC? No, WSU has outgrown its current conference affiliation. Academically, you are known by the company you keep. There's a lot more prestige to be affilliated with the likes of SMU, Tulsa, Houston, Cinncinatti than Northern Iowa, Evansville, and Indiana State. This is especially important in attracting large national or global corporations for research partnerships with the University. Can WSU change conference affiliation without football? I think that it's highly unlikely.

Bardo is an ambitious man with a big vision and a lot yet to accomplish. I find it highly unlikely that he would take something like this on just to pay it lip service.

We know that WSU has been looking for at least the past couple of years for a new conference affiliation. This has been documented in the media.

I think that it is unlikely that WSU goes to the MWC as there are now discussions that UTEP and Rice will be added to the MWC.
      Last edited by Shocker-maniac; December 23, 2015, 09:13 PM.
      ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• If everything converged together in a perfect way, football would be a possibility at Wichita State.
        If you look at Boise State as a model, in 1996, they played Division 1A football . They began Division ! football in 1997. They had a blue football field and no one knew about them. They played in the Big Sky football conference and Boise came up with a Bowl played on the ice and in the Cold, on their Blue football field in Boise.

Boise State University is an urban, research university in Idaho. They have 22,000 students. They are the largest university in Idaho. Football is the most important sport in Boise, but it is now supported by the community and university. Basketball is now becoming a more viable sport too at BSU.

WSU has a little growing to do and Dr. Bardo's vision has a little work to do to become 22,000 students but if his Innovation Campus took off and traditional students became what his vision enlists, we would have the student body and the urban support to help make this happen.

Recruiting is done predominantly in California (not Idaho). Recruiting for WSU would have to come from Texas, and not from Kansas, Colorado, etc. For this to happen, money is the other factor that WSU would need to support a football program. Just as the community of Boise came together to start the Humanitarian Bowl, WSU would need for the community and big money donors to come together to endorse big time football. Boise State would be the model for Big Time football, but we would need student support and for the traditional student to become a big part of the university, and for the community to support it monetarily with an endowment or some other big time support for this to happen. Talent can be recruited (from Texas) if student support, community support, and facilities occur. Money is the key for all of this to happen.

Comment

• Chip Kelley now available.
          Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Photo was tweeted out by Dr. Bardo.
            ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
              https://twitter.com/ShockerFootball/...36261962760192

Photo was tweeted out by Dr. Bardo.
              It's absolutely hilarious that he tweeted it with no other explanation than "this arrived"

Comment

• DAMMIT BARDO

Comment

• He's trolling ALL of Shocker Nation with that tweet.
                  "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• you can delete my post @_kai_:

Comment

• I saw that. Bardo has a sense of humor!

So, I assume that's the marching band equipment trailer in the background? Pride of the Prairie . . . I like it!

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                        I saw that. Bardo has a sense of humor!

So, I assume that's the marching band equipment trailer in the background? Pride of the Prairie . . . I like it!
                        I just noticed that too. You can definitely make out the words "marching band" underneath Pride of the Prarie

Comment

• I still don't actually think that restarting football will happen (but will be pleasantly surprised and happy if it does).

This is just odd though. I mean, a tweet like this is something that a hooligan on ShockerNet would do as a joke and tease. University presidents are usually the types to want to squash rumors, not throw a gallon of gasoline on the fire. Maybe it is as simple as someone got excited and sent a prototype of a helmet to the University. The president doesn't show a picture of it though.

This is just really, really odd. That's all I can say.
                          78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                            https://twitter.com/ShockerFootball/...36261962760192

Photo was tweeted out by Dr. Bardo.
                            Go Shocks: Bring it Back!

Comment

• Why is purple on our new helmets? Hope they have time to change the order.
                              In the fast lane

Comment

• I am not excited about football at WSU.

But I do love matte black helmets. So, maybe they can win me over if they stay in that direction.

Comment

Working...
                                X