No announcement yet.

Any news on Orukpe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I noticed when EO was in, the Shox ran a different type of screening game. Orukpe sets solid picks. They're BIG, too. Defenders have to pack a lunch to get around them. He was consistently hanging up 2 defenders around the elbow, allowing perimeter players to run layup drills.

When Hall or White was in the post, the Shox were running more of a post up style of play. EO should get a lot of credit for getting the perimeter players about 4 wide open layups.

One time in the first half, EO got the ball low on the block. Setty was guarding him. I could see the look on Setty's face pretty clearly. (I replayed it a couple of times.) It was classic "deer in headlights". EO scares people around the basket.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Defense scheme with EO

A la Boston Celtics with Bill Russell:
      Force ball into funnel toward key. Deny pass to wing/corner. Force ball in corner to baseline.

"I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• OK I admit I haven't given this much thought about centers around the Valley. EO would be a back up at CU, but wouldn't he have a good chance of being the starter this year on any of the other Valley teams? He brings different tools to the floor than Garrett, not as much on offense, but he is very good at other things right now. As @Aargh: pointed out, he helps the offense in other ways beside scoring. He is a flat out intimidator on defense. He will be a major factor for us next year. I don't know if he will start. Hall at center and Early at PF is a real possiblity to start games, but EO will get plenty of time.
        In the fast lane

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
          A la Boston Celtics with Bill Russell:
          Force ball into funnel toward key. Deny pass to wing/corner. Force ball in corner to baseline.

Looks like a very good team to me. Plenty of bench also. In fact Mr. Baker and Hawkins and VanVleet might not agree on who the starting line up will be.
          In the fast lane

Comment

• I would love the attitude of Baker Hawkins and VanVleet of the three of them looking at the "projected starters above" and ask the "X" question....we were just wondering which of you were going to have to sit?

Comment

• The games have become fun for me if for no other reason to watch EO play. There is not another player like him in the conference...the closest being Garrett and he plays for us thankfully. His presence almost completely shuts off the driving layups that the MVC has grown accustomed to running for years.

The only good defense I have seen on EO is his own lack of experience and a solid shove into the small of his back as he's moving toward the goal. I will be renewing my season tickets again at season end but I would do it if EO was the only player on the team.

Comment

• Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                OK I admit I haven't given this much thought about centers around the Valley. EO would be a back up at CU, but wouldn't he have a good chance of being the starter this year on any of the other Valley teams? He brings different tools to the floor than Garrett, not as much on offense, but he is very good at other things right now. As @Aargh: pointed out, he helps the offense in other ways beside scoring. He is a flat out intimidator on defense. He will be a major factor for us next year. I don't know if he will start. Hall at center and Early at PF is a real possiblity to start games, but EO will get plenty of time.
                I think EO starts for half the Valley teams this year. Doesn't start for WSU or Creighton. Probably not over Carmichael an Ill St or Clark at Drake. UNI and Indiana Stare are questionable. EO at Evansville puts that team on the same level as CU and WSU IMO. There are only a handful of teams in the country that EO doesn't cause issues for.

Despite what our expectations might have been prior to seeing EO, all the scouting reports were 100% true! He does run like a gazelle (up and down the court in a hurry), jump like a dear, and has rediculous strength and size/wingspan/presence. He's also raw offensively, intelligent, hard-working, and an exempliary human being. Does all of that equate to Hakeem the Dream? Not at all, but it sure is fun to see someone that big be that athletic.
                Livin the dream

Comment

• Are you kidding? Next year he starts for any team in the Valley....including us. Just watch. The other Valley teams better hope Garrett gets better because every minute EO gets in a game is only going to make him more of a dominator.

Seeing him pump his fists in excitement after scoring a bucket in that last game had to be one of the scariest things any opposing player could see. This kid is turning into a monster right before our eyes. This kid doesn't block shots, he makes the basketball oblong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capitol Shock II View Post
                    Are you kidding? Next year he starts for any team in the Valley....including us. Just watch. The other Valley teams better hope Garrett gets better because every minute EO gets in a game is only going to make him more of a dominator.

Seeing him pump his fists in excitement after scoring a bucket in that last game had to be one of the scariest things any opposing player could see. This kid is turning into a monster right before our eyes. This kid doesn't block shots, he makes the basketball oblong.
                    I agree- he's developing really well. I'm just not quuiiiiite ready to say he starts for us next year. The incoming recruits, particularly Early, as well as Jake White, will have a lot to say about that.

Comment

• Starts for most Valley teams right now, starts for us next year. Zero doubt.

Comment

• I only agree if he can consistently do what he did against SIU. Very exciting none-the-less.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

• He still has to prove that he can play lots of minutes and play that way twice in a row. Up to this point, he has shown up one game and not the next. He'll have to prove to me that he is stepping it up to the next level.

Comment

• If he starts, we win every tip.
                            "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                            -John Wooden

Comment

• I enjoy watching him play. I am still optimistic about his upside over the next 14 months.... He Just needs minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                                He still has to prove that he can play lots of minutes and play that way twice in a row. Up to this point, he has shown up one game and not the next. He'll have to prove to me that he is stepping it up to the next level.
                                Sounds like Garrett Stutz for the last 3 years.

Just saying.....

EO will have the edge to start next year if for no other reason than his time in Marshall's system. It's gonna be tough for newcomer bigs to start out of the gate. Now maybe Hall starts at center, but I think he is better served at the 4 and backing up the 5. White will get plenty of playing time, but what position is to be determined. He would be a waste at the 5. I guess if Hall starts at the 5 then we could have White at the 4. I just think the defense and rebounding EO and Hall would have being on the floor at the same time would be pretty insane. White has a nose for the ball and works hard, but still has quite a bit of work to go on defense. White will be a VERY good 6th man next year IMHO.

The good news is there will be lots of options. I think EO will be a big part of the equation. Exciting times!
                                "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Working...
                                X