No announcement yet.

Any news on Orukpe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I heard that Mr. Orupke stopped taking HHH (Human Height Hormone) and is now only 4'11".

Comment

• Originally posted by jdmee
      I heard that Mr. Orupke stopped taking HHH (Human Height Hormone) and is now only 4'11".
      But is his wingspan still 7 1/2 feet? :)

Comment

• Don't know if this has been posted on here. Maybe somebody could make him some pounded yam and vegetable soup as a welcome gift.

Comment

• Some posters on here have a tendency to overblow recruits, making them appear as the 2nd coming. I watched Orukpe when he was here, and here is my opinion, FWIW:

He is not as raw Offensively as what was advertised, but does need to refine his skills, and develop more moves around the basket, which I saw him working on when I watched him.

Do not blow him up to be super on defense just because he had 2 blocks in the pickup game.

He does have a lot of potential, and I am sure he will develop more by playing at 3 Rivers this fall. How fast? is anyone's guess. He appears to be very intelligent (Engineering major), so that is encouraging.

As compared to Stutz currently - I think EO has better coordination, is used to playing in the trees more than Stutz (Better basketball IQ around the basket), and seems a little faster, to me.

Now, some of you may take exception to what I am going to say, but keep in mind this is just my opinion and take on him:

Potential, but some things bother me. His coordination is not the best (could be his brain catching up to his body). He does not have Blake Griffin or Cole Aldrich type coordination. He needs to be quicker, quite a bit. This bothers me, I don't know why, but it does, he holds his hands like a pansy or Mommy's boy does. (open, flat, and tilted backwards from the wrist). He has some nice Offensive moves, but needs to develop more variety of moves. His Defense needs work.

If EO shows up in 010, perhaps they can both help each other to develop more, at least that is what I am hoping for. Anyway, I am looking for both to play in 010, one relieving the other.

Comment

• Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Aldrich kind of raw his first year?

Actually, I agree with you on not making too much of recruits. It puts way too much pressure on them. I think Stutz played pretty much like I expected him to last year. Would I have been pleased if he had been even better--of course, but I figured with a guy who grew as fast as he did right before coming here, he'd have some adjusting.

However, the equalizing factor to all of this is HCGM's ability to develop players that have the tools. He's done it for his entire coaching career, and both Stutz and EO certainly have tremendous potential. Even more encouraging is both are smart and appear to be very hard working. So, potential+intelligence+hard work+good coaching=success plain and simple. However, it will only happen over time. We aren't getting Blake Griffin-type athletes right now, but I do like the recruits we're getting. They're potentially the first exciting bunch we've had since the freshman year of Matt, Sean, etc. Who knows if these guys are as good as those guys, but the potential seems to be there. That's something for fans to get excited about.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snapshot9
              Some posters on here have a tendency to overblow recruits, making them appear as the 2nd coming. I watched Orukpe when he was here, and here is my opinion, FWIW:

He is not as raw Offensively as what was advertised, but does need to refine his skills, and develop more moves around the basket, which I saw him working on when I watched him.

Do not blow him up to be super on defense just because he had 2 blocks in the pickup game.

He does have a lot of potential, and I am sure he will develop more by playing at 3 Rivers this fall. How fast? is anyone's guess. He appears to be very intelligent (Engineering major), so that is encouraging.

As compared to Stutz currently - I think EO has better coordination, is used to playing in the trees more than Stutz (Better basketball IQ around the basket), and seems a little faster, to me.

Now, some of you may take exception to what I am going to say, but keep in mind this is just my opinion and take on him:

Potential, but some things bother me. His coordination is not the best (could be his brain catching up to his body). He does not have Blake Griffin or Cole Aldrich type coordination. He needs to be quicker, quite a bit. This bothers me, I don't know why, but it does, he holds his hands like a pansy or Mommy's boy does. (open, flat, and tilted backwards from the wrist). He has some nice Offensive moves, but needs to develop more variety of moves. His Defense needs work.

If EO shows up in 010, perhaps they can both help each other to develop more, at least that is what I am hoping for. Anyway, I am looking for both to play in 010, one relieving the other.
              I am not going to get into an I agree or disagree with you conversation, but....We must have been looking at 2 different EO's. The one I watched in PU games flew down the court....There wasn't anything slow about him....He was beating the guards to the other end.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockfan8
                Originally posted by Snapshot9
                Some posters on here have a tendency to overblow recruits, making them appear as the 2nd coming. I watched Orukpe when he was here, and here is my opinion, FWIW:

I am not going to get into an I agree or disagree with you conversation, but....We must have been looking at 2 different EO's. The one I watched in PU games flew down the court....There wasn't anything slow about him....He was beating the guards to the other end.
                Seconded.
                "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                -John Wooden

Comment

• Very few athletes can match Blake Griffin in terms of intensity and work ethic. He is a very rare speciman.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan
                    Very few athletes can match Blake Griffin in terms of intensity and work ethic. He is a very rare speciman.
                    Agreed. I'm not sure that using the guy who will be going #1 in the NBA draft is a particularly useful comparison point.
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                      Originally posted by Dan
                      Very few athletes can match Blake Griffin in terms of intensity and work ethic. He is a very rare speciman.
                      Agreed. I'm not sure that using the guy who will be going #1 in the NBA draft is a particularly useful comparison point.
                      I'd be fine with Dinma Odiakosa athleticism...

Odiakosa +4" = EO
                      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                      -John Wooden

Comment

• Originally posted by wu_shizzle
                        Originally posted by Shockfan8
                        Originally posted by Snapshot9

Seconded.
                        Don't confuse "fast" & "quick".....they're not the same.

Comment

• really, Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Snapshot9
                            This bothers me, I don't know why, but it does, he holds his hands like a pansy or Mommy's boy does. (open, flat, and tilted backwards from the wrist). .
                            This is what I remember when I first saw Sean O. Maybe it's common for anyone with a last name beginning with "O"?
                            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                            ---------------------------------------
                            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by shockar25
                              Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Aldrich kind of raw his first year?
                              No Aldrich just had Darnell Jackson and Darrell Arthur in front of him. He could have been All- Valley and probably Valley POY as a freshmen if he were at WSU
                              The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• 10 picks deep in the draft so far... EO still not taken.
                                -John Wooden

Comment

Working...
                                X