No announcement yet.

Official: Ark Tech Post Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I liked about Aaron's game Saturday night is his confidence. Yes, he made some mistakes and looked awkward in the offense at times. But he didn't hesitate to take open shots, which tells me he is at least comfortable in his role.

After three home games, I think going to the Paradise Jam will be very beneficial to Ellis. The atmosphere won't be as phrenetic, giving him a chance to get game experience without the distraction of a large pumped-up crowd. It may help Ramon, as well.

These guys need to get settled down so that when when Ehimen gets here he can feed off of them and get ready for those games against LSU and UAB. Those two games will very likely define who we are to the college basketball world for much of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by earlier SubGod22
      I'd say Ellis is a SF that could play some SG. Like I said in another thread somewhere, he's more likely to play SG than PF.
      Originally posted by SubGod22
      I could have sworn coach said he's a 3 that may have to play some 4 because of depth. But he did say that he will become a very good 3.
      Nice to see you making more sense now... ;-)
      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
      -John Wooden

Comment

I could have sworn coach said he's a 3 that may have to play some 4 because of depth. But he did say that he will become a very good 3.
        Thanks. I may have twisted his comment badly.

Comment

Nice comments about Ellis. The more CGM talks about this kid the better I feel. Like everyone else, he is learning a new system, which from everything that I have read will take time. GM not Ellis will probably bet he first of the SFs to slide down to the 4 – based upon his rebounding numbers alone. If Ellis can provide some quality minutes at the 3 – this will keep PJ at the 2 more, which is a good thing.

I am not worried about the players adjusting to the home atmosphere. They will get used to the people and the noise soon enough. I am more worried about road games – this is largely a new group and they are going to have to prove they can win on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle
            Originally posted by earlier SubGod22
            I'd say Ellis is a SF that could play some SG. Like I said in another thread somewhere, he's more likely to play SG than PF.
            Nice to see you making more sense now... ;-)
            I still stand by what I was saying. With Butler and Durley playing I doubt Ellis plays much, if any, PF. Once Ehimen gets here it's even less likely. Unless we go small (relatively speaking) for a lineup. In which case I still wouldn't consider him a PF but that'd probably be who he'd guard.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Well, I for one hope you are correct. Because that would mean that Durley and Butler are capable of backing up the 4 which has not been determined, yet, although I was encouraged by CGM comments regarding Butler, prior to the injury.

As for Ehimen, I am not comfortable discussing the kid until he actually shows up on campus.

I have another questions regarding Clemente: A friend of mine who went to the game just told me he was really disappointed in RC. He stated that he did not think that RC looked fundamentally sound (say what you will about Ryan Martin – but the kid had solid fundamentals). Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie
                Well, I for one hope you are correct. Because that would mean that Durley and Butler are capable of backing up the 4 which has not been determined, yet, although I was encouraged by CGM comments regarding Butler, prior to the injury.

As for Ehimen, I am not comfortable discussing the kid until he actually shows up on campus.

I have another questions regarding Clemente: A friend of mine who went to the game just told me he was really disappointed in RC. He stated that he did not think that RC looked fundamentally sound (say what you will about Ryan Martin – but the kid had solid fundamentals). Thoughts?
                I'm going to give RC another game or two before I really comment. I was a little dissapointed in him, but from what it sounded like he was the most nervous out of the bunch and was REALLY wound up. I still think he will end up being a very big part of this team.
                "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Ramon looked great at Shocker Madness and was finishing the bunnies. That's against "real" post players, not a 6'4 SF who's found himself in the post.

A few of those layups drop last week and we're not having this discussion. I would guess CGM didn't play Ramon as much because he doesn't have much to prove. His game is ready to go and he's going to start.
                  "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                  -John Wooden

Comment

Yeah, I think we oughta lay off the M&M talk until he shows. Not "when", but "if".

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfan
                      Originally posted by Maggie

I'm going to give RC another game or two before I really comment. I was a little dissapointed in him, but from what it sounded like he was the most nervous out of the bunch and was REALLY wound up. I still think he will end up being a very big part of this team.
                      I agree with you.

I think my friends comments stem from the fact that he had high expectations for Clemente (and so do I). But he knows his basketball and if he says Clemente needs to work on his fundamentals – then I trust his judgment. Clemente did not play H.S. ball so he probably does need some polishing.

Personally, I choose to believe that Clemente will be solid player for WSU this year.

Comment

Whatever you have to say about Ramon, it's evident that there will be no time where he's on the court not working his tail off.

That guy had one speed: hard.
                        The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl
                          Whatever you have to say about Ramon, it's evident that there will be no time where he's on the court not working his tail off.

That guy had one speed: hard.
                          That is my favorite thing about RC.

Comment

There is no question in my mind that RC will be a star for us. He has unlimited competitive drive and barely limited athletic ability. He was ultra-wired for his first game in the "show" and couldn't get himself out of 9th gear. One of his first plays was a soaring putback attempt that would have brought the house down if it would have gone in. He made one of the hardest one-handed sweeping dunk attempts that I have seen in 10 years at a Shocker game. It was pure aggressive offensive rebounding and I loved it. Then after that he was so geeked up that he started making silly fouls. All I see when I look at RC is a 6'6" Jamar Howard and that is a good thing!! He just needs to develop a little control that JH never seemed to be able to obtain. It's only RC's first game and he has plenty of time to master his delivery.

T

...8)

Comment

I know everyone (including Coach Marshall) is talking about PJ playing the 2, but I don't remember him playing the 2 for even a second against Arkansas Tech. I know Durley was hurt and that limited our depth at the 4 and 5 which pushed Mantas and Aaron into playing the four spot, but I still don't see PJ playing more than about 10, maybe 15, minutes of 2 a game, at least not if both Matt and Gal play well . I see each getting about 30 minutes a game and Wendell getting about 10 minutes. That would only leave 10 minutes not accounted for at the 1 and 2. And that does not factor in Graham at all. On an average night I could see the following minutes:
                              Matt - 28 minutes at the 1
                              Gal - 28 minutes at the 1 or 2
                              Wendell - 10 minutes at the 1 or 2
                              PJ - 14 minutes at the 2; 20 minutes at the 3 (no foul trouble please)
                              Hatch - infrequent minutes depending on the point spread
                              (The minutes at the 1 and 2 have to add up to 80.)

The only way I see PJ getting 20 minutes or more at the 2 is if Wendell's minutes go down below 10, or if Matt or Gal get injured or start playing a lot worse than they showed Saturday night.

Am I missing something?

Comment

Yes, you missed PJ playing the 2.

I saw him do it up close and personal. However, I did not count minutes.

Comment

Working...
                                X