Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bringing the ball up court

Originally posted by im4wsu
    After about three times, it was obvious that Matt was going to walk for 2 seconds, choose and move to one side of the court and then sprint across mid-court and fire a pass to a wing on that side. If we do this against a MVC team in crunchtime, it will be foiled EVERY time. In fact, the Wonder Boys stopped it twice.
    Yes, I noticed Matt became predictable. One of the stops resulted in a foul on the AT defender.

Comment

Re: Bringing the ball up court

Originally posted by im4wsu
      After about three times, it was obvious that Matt was going to walk for 2 seconds, choose and move to one side of the court and then sprint across mid-court and fire a pass to a wing on that side. If we do this against a MVC team in crunchtime, it will be foiled EVERY time. In fact, the Wonder Boys stopped it twice.
      Don't expect us to run much of an offense until the games count and the competition increases. Coach mentioned something like this on his Monday coaches show.
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Thoughts:

1) I thought Gal had a good game. Showed leadership at points during the game. Shot well from the floor. Behind the back to PJ was a highlight.

2) Matt played well. Shot well, made some nice moves. Solid performance, goes well with Gal.

3) PJ played well, shooting seems more consistent from outside, all that practice paying off. Off and on on the inside though, got boxed out some.

4) Thomasson played okay, was trying hard. He needs to quit the long outside shots though. I will take a 12 point game from him every game.

5) Clemente, thought he would turn in a better performance. Suspicion about him being more of a defensive threat was verified. Stepping up to D-1 isn't like most Jucos think it will be. He will be okay, needs more seasoning, and time to gel.

6) Gris, good on the boards, a little more time needed, has the shot just wasn't falling last night. He will be a solid contributor.

7) Ellis, I was impressed with Aaron. He handled himself well, is pretty fast for 6'9". He will be solid contributor this year, and better in coming years.

8) Hatch, Burley - okay, I think a little nervous. Hatch threw the ball away.

9) Richards - not enough PT to really form an opion.

Obvious that the team needs more work and coordination, read each other better. Veterans PJ, Matt, and Gal, and Thomasson carried the team, which wasn't unexpected. Seniors and Gal need to get the newcomers onboard more with teamwork, what to expect. I did notice some good followup on shots though.

I did notice getting out rebounded sometimes with one of their guys going up over the others under their goal.

Although the post area was okay, and just okay last night, it won't hold up against some teams in the conference. The glaring need for a taller post player was rather obvious at times. Didn't MSU beat this team, 91-67??

My brother ended up right beside Stutz last night at the halftime, and he told him that he sure hoped he would come to play for us. He said Stutz smiled.

Did you notice CGM comments last night on the post game show that he hoped to recruit a post player and develop a couple! I took that as a positive sign that Stutz may commit to us, maybe this coming week.

And finally, I had on my new 'Shocker' colored Nike's last night, so I felt official.... LOL along with my other Shocker gear.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock
          Originally posted by RipEmUpShox
          burley did well i thought. for it being his first game and all..... he def did better than the "veteran" phil thommason. what a joke.
          PT had a nice 1st half with 7 points and a couple charging calls. It wasn't his fault that WSU didn't try and work the ball inside the 2nd half.

2nd I don't know how he can say he did better - make me think your just a "hater".

Phil 4-8 from field, 3 boards, 1 assist, 12 points
          Brett 0-0 from field, 1 board, 0 points
          No kidding. Phil score in double digits while shooting 50% from the floor and gets criticized. In addition, everyone was upset with him last year for leaving his feet and getting in foul trouble. This game he takes two charges and stays out of foul trouble, and still takes grief from someone.
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Forgot to mention this last night, but the moment of silence for Guy was a nice touch.
            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Best play of the game was when Wendell saved that ball from out of bounds to Gal and Gal made the behind the back pass to Couisnard for the score. Worst play was when Gal got his pocket picked under the basket. Gal's still got that great court vision. He had two assists last night that were awesome. One where he passed over two or three defenders to Couisnard for a dunk and one no-look pass to Phil for a layup. I thought Phil played strong inside, but what's he doing taking three point shots? Aaron Ellis was the most impressive newcomer out there. He's going to cause so many matchup problems for opponents its not even funny. He's got a lot of potential. If he stays four years here he could be one of the Shocker greats.

Comment

Thought it was interesting that in the great Matt vs. Gal shockernet poster debate, Coach Marshall seemed to decide that everyone was right and just put them out on the floor together. I like the philosophy of getting your best five players on court whenever possible.
                The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by tgcshock
                  Thought it was interesting that in the great Matt vs. Gal shockernet poster debate, Coach Marshall seemed to decide that everyone was right and just put them out on the floor together. I like the philosophy of getting your best five players on court whenever possible.
                  The more up tempo systems make this more possible. The former system used at WSU would not have allowed for this at all.

Comment

One play I enjoyed last night was bad at the front end, but good on the back end. It was fairly late in the game.

Mantas got a rebound, threw an outlet too quickly. The A-Tech player flashed in and stole MG's pass, and almost immediately went up for a short jumper. MG reacted and got off his feet quickly, blocked the A-Tech player's shot and came down with the ball.

It all happened almost in the blink of an eye.

I think all of our big guys need to be more careful when throwing their outlets. Several times they weren't clean.

I saw Aaron do that a couple of times, like he was just trying to get rid of it too quickly.

Hopefully CGM saw that and will help them make subtle adjustments.

Comment

Originally posted by RipEmUpShox
                      burley did well i thought. for it being his first game and all..... he def did better than the "veteran" phil thommason. what a joke.
                      Please provide your realistic expectations for Phil this year. I thought Phil did great. I probably could have done without the 3 point attempts, but we read in the offseason that he has increased his range some. He probably had the green light in the early exhibition games. Probably won't see much of that later.

Burley looked lost out there, but I'll chalk that up to nerves of a first game on that type of stage. Will still need to see more to form a better opinion.

Comment

Gregg Marshall is a stud...

Mantas is a stud...

Aaron is a stud...

P.J. is a stud...

Gal is a stud...

Ramon is a stud...

----------------------------------

Phillip is good...

Matt is good...

J.T. is good...

Arbry is good...

------------------------------------

Wendell is competent and Ehimen is predicted to be the second coming...

I feel very good about this year!

P.S.

Did anyone see the end of the intro last night and the evil look Gregg flashed the camera.. that was priceless!

P.S.S.

Thanks students for bringing back the, "so what", "who cares", "you suck" chant.

It's a great day to be a Shocker!

T

...8)

Comment

If EO shows up and plays this year - think 2006 Bradley Braves! :goshocks:
                          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Phil played a pretty good game and looked a lot better than at the end of last season. But he is only 6-7 and I worry about how he can do against bigger and taller front lines. We need our 7 footer but still need Phil to have a good year. Last night gave me hope that he will.
                            In the fast lane

Comment

My impression of the game yesterday was one of encouragement. I was encouraged to see PJ's shot with more arch, Gal looking like he knows he can make good things happen and Matt looking for his shot. I saw good effort from Phil and will take 12 points from him every game. I saw good things from Ramon, Mantas and Aaron. I felt they were playing their first D1 game and could not quite get over the offensive 'hump' but I do not have any doubt it will come.
                              I agree with most of the posters on SN that the post will be the main concern. It will be interesting to see how it will play out with Durley and Butler are added to the mix.

Was anyone else impressed with how welll spoken Matt was during the post game show. I can see how he could be a good coach in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by momsboy
                                Was anyone else impressed with how welll spoken Matt was during the post game show. I can see how he could be a good coach in the future.
                                Yes, my wife and I both noticed how well he spoke... don't be surprised to see him making big-time $$$$$ someday... he has the bloodlines and the drive to succeed in the coaching industry. Maybe someday he'll coach his alma mater.
                                ;-)
                                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X