No announcement yet.

Pro evaluation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks as if McDuff and Shaq are keeping their names in for the time being. Zach Brown withdrew his name and will play with Athletes in Action in late may for 6 games in the Czech Republic and Poland. Cool opportunity for ZB!

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
      http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...146733139.html

Looks as if McDuff and Shaq are keeping their names in for the time being. Zach Brown withdrew his name and will play with Athletes in Action in late may for 6 games in the Czech Republic and Poland. Cool opportunity for ZB!
      Pretty damn cool that ZB gets this opportunity. He wouldn't have gotten this opportunity without these new NCAA rules. It's unreal that the NCAA is actually helping athletes out by getting the heck out of the way.

Comment

Which new rules do you refer to? Darius played for AIA his junior year too.

Comment

I think it's a good thing that Shaq is getting his name out into NBA circles. Marshall said some scouts were starting to ask about him, so there is some interest.

I also think Shaq is going to go on a butt-busting summer and work like he's never worked before. I think he's reached that level of maturity and understanding. He's got challenges in a new league and motivation to get stronger (yes, it is possible) and better. He's preparing for his Sr year, and that hits a lot of players pretty hard.

Shaq, with a summer of rigorous conditioning and lots of attention to skill drills, could be getting more NBA looks next year. If he improves in areas he will learn about by declaring, that will only help his chances.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Both Markis and Zach will need to improve with their ball handling skills and finishing at the basket to make it at the next level. Both play good defense and Markis has become pretty consistent from the 3 which opens up his drives, but he has to get stronger(legs). They will and should be back along with Shaq. Top 10 team with final four possibilities.

Comment

I think McDuffie is a 4-year player. I think he's going to have to project as an NBA SG or 2/3 combo even after 4 years. Both of those are going to require a couple years of handling skill drills.

Shamet...I'd be thrilled to get 4 years from him, but I'm not optimistic that's going to happen.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                I think McDuffie is a 4-year player. I think he's going to have to project as an NBA SG or 2/3 combo even after 4 years. Both of those are going to require a couple years of handling skill drills.
                Agreed -- if Perry Ellis was a four-year player, Duff is a four-year player, especially given his age.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                  Agreed -- if Perry Ellis was a four-year player, Duff is a four-year player, especially given his age.
                  What? Let's compare Yao Ming to Isaiah Thomas why we're at it. Perry and McDuffie are not of similar skill sets nor similar in attributes. From an NBA perspective, Perry was a very solid college player who was who he was going to be early in his collegiate career. His professional ceiling was/is/always will be limited. He screams D league. McDuffie is still finding himself, still evolving as a player. His ceiling is about 10 stories higher than Perry's. MM may be here 4 years, but it's not because he projects similarly to PE.

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaShocker View Post
                    What? Let's compare Yao Ming to Isaiah Thomas why we're at it. Perry and McDuffie are not of similar skill sets nor similar in attributes. From an NBA perspective, Perry was a very solid college player who was who he was going to be early in his collegiate career. His professional ceiling was/is/always will be limited. He screams D league. McDuffie is still finding himself, still evolving as a player. His ceiling is about 10 stories higher than Perry's. MM may be here 4 years, but it's not because he projects similarly to PE.
                    Interesting analysis, IN.

And I'd agree that McDuffie is not nearly as far along as Ellis was at a comparable stage. The other question, though, is just how high McDuffie's ceiling is. His age and frame suggest that he's not nearly there yet, wherever it is. But, as others have pointed out, his ball handling has a LONG way to go for him to be a new (for example) Danny Green. I love McDuffie, and I've made fun of Aargh's skepticism before, but I also expect Duff to be a four-year Shocker and not a ready-made NBA player when he finishes.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                      Interesting analysis, IN.

And I'd agree that McDuffie is not nearly as far along as Ellis was at a comparable stage. The other question, though, is just how high McDuffie's ceiling is. His age and frame suggest that he's not nearly there yet, wherever it is. But, as others have pointed out, his ball handling has a LONG way to go for him to be a new (for example) Danny Green. I love McDuffie, and I've made fun of Aargh's skepticism before, but I also expect Duff to be a four-year Shocker and not a ready-made NBA player when he finishes.
                      I think I'll say it until I'm blue in the face, but this board consistently underrates McDuffie. Here is a comparison of sophomore McDuffie to sophomore Ellis. So yes, Ellis was a better shooter overall, but he also played as a true 4 entirely, creating better chances closer to the rim(his 47% from 3 was on a mere 8-17). But McDuffie's defense blows his out of the water, in fact it blows most peoples out of the water. Zach is considered the best defender on this team, while that's probably true, it's very very close. At the college level McDuffie can guard 1-4 and will definitely be able to handle 1-3 at an NBA level.

O-Rating D-Rating Usage FG% 3 FG% FT% Rbd Rate Ast Rate Stl Rate Blk Rate TO Rate
                      Perry Ellis 127.8 101.5 21.9 54.9 47.1 76.3 14.1 7.4 1.7 2.2 9.3
                      Markis Mcduffie 121.8 89.1 22.4 45.8 35.5 81.9 12.2 12.2 2.6 1.4 12.3

Comment

Maybe this belongs on the MM thread but I'll comment here. I
                        think MM has a very good all around game but not outstanding
                        in any one aspect. He is above average at just about everything
                        except maybe ball handling and attacking the basket. Two of the
                        things I like best about him are his court vision and unselfishness.
                        For him to be a pro I think he has to be outstanding at a couple
                        things - especially shooting and rebounding. If people remember
                        the X man improved his game immensely his junior and senior
                        years. If MM can make make half the improvement XM did his
                        last two years he will have a good shot.

Comment

MSU's Alize Johnson declared for the draft but will not hire an agent.

I would be good with him transferring to WSU.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post
                            I think I'll say it until I'm blue in the face, but this board consistently underrates McDuffie. Here is a comparison of sophomore McDuffie to sophomore Ellis. So yes, Ellis was a better shooter overall, but he also played as a true 4 entirely, creating better chances closer to the rim(his 47% from 3 was on a mere 8-17). But McDuffie's defense blows his out of the water, in fact it blows most peoples out of the water. Zach is considered the best defender on this team, while that's probably true, it's very very close. At the college level McDuffie can guard 1-4 and will definitely be able to handle 1-3 at an NBA level.

O-Rating D-Rating Usage FG% 3 FG% FT% Rbd Rate Ast Rate Stl Rate Blk Rate TO Rate
                            Perry Ellis 127.8 101.5 21.9 54.9 47.1 76.3 14.1 7.4 1.7 2.2 9.3
                            Markis Mcduffie 121.8 89.1 22.4 45.8 35.5 81.9 12.2 12.2 2.6 1.4 12.3
                            Yes completely underrated. He is so consistent game in and game out. There is a reason he gets the minutes he does. The coaches know what a difference it is when he is on the court. We have such a talented team and when someone has an outstanding game we forget about the basics. His defense is already NBA worthy. He shut down many top players this past season. He will makw the NBA. He will figure out the boards once he is more comfortable with his size he put on 30 pounds last summer break. Im am sure he is working ball handling like mad right now. Expect another good boost this off season.

Also i dont believe he is 6'8' look at pics next to the other guys more like 6' 10'. He will still only be 19 at start of next season could be another inch or two to go.

Oh and he will be leadinh scorer and rebounder again next year.

Comment

Originally posted by lmor1971 View Post
                              Yes completely underrated. He is so consistent game in and game out. There is a reason he gets the minutes he does. The coaches know what a difference it is when he is on the court. We have such a talented team and when someone has an outstanding game we forget about the basics. His defense is already NBA worthy. He shut down many top players this past season. He will makw the NBA. He will figure out the boards once he is more comfortable with his size he put on 30 pounds last summer break. Im am sure he is working ball handling like mad right now. Expect another good boost this off season.

Also i dont believe he is 6'8' look at pics next to the other guys more like 6' 10'. He will still only be 19 at start of next season could be another inch or two to go.

Oh and he will be leadinh scorer and rebounder again next year.
                              I don't think he's 6-10. MAYBE he's 6-9 in shoes and two pairs of socks. He is tall.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                                I don't think he's 6-10. MAYBE he's 6-9 in shoes and two pairs of socks. He is tall.
                                LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X