No announcement yet.

2017-18 Media Love Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Adding Wichita State means the AAC must now be counted as a 'Major 7' conference" - CBS Sports

The Shockers put the AAC into college basketball's exclusive club of powerful leagues

by Matt Norlander
    Posted: 11/01/17, 7;00pm, cst

"...College basketball got better and more interesting with Wichita State, a team we project in the top five of all of college basketball, bailing on the Missouri Valley for the American this summer.

...Joining the American should ideally boost Wichita State's seeding situation come Selection Sunday in 2018 and beyond. By nature of playing in a weakened Missouri Valley Conference, the Shockers have been shortsightedly punished by the selection committee in recent seasons. They lacked the opportunity to land big wins in January, February and early March and so they dropped in the bracket. Despite multiple accepted mainstream metrics highly ranking the Shockers, the committee opted to slot Wichita State -- which from 2015-17 had an average of 27 wins by Selection Sunday -- with an average No. 9 seed....

...The American was already sitting at the table (albeit the far end) with the other big basketball conferences, but Wichita State's inclusion seals the deal. ...

...From a public relations and marketing standpoint, the American also gets this blend of a nationally recognizable program that still has a credible claim to play with a chip on its shoulder given how it's been seeded in recent years...

...I mentioned to Marshall that there is -- just as Gonzaga has -- a contingent of counterculture fans that root against the Shockers and Zags.

"What I think you'll find is those are fans of a BCS program that's not very successful," Marshall said. "There's a lot of schools, and I'm not going to name names, that are fortunate their university was placed in a certain conference so many years ago. Otherwise, they would be viewed very differently. A lot of this is just the conference. 'We're a big-time school, we're a big-time program,' when that's not the case. It's just the league you're in."...

...With this injury-catalyzed roster evolution, Marshall expects 10 guys to average double-digit minutes. If that happens, though it's hard to envision now even with such a high preseason position, the Shockers could wind up even better than predicted. That is the dream scenario for Marshall and the American. "

...And yet, for all the good this marriage brings to Wichita State, I'd argue it's even more prosperous for the American....

Comment

• CBS has been giving the AAC some love here lately. I wonder if they're trying to butter up Aresco before TV contract negotiations begin--kind of the opposite of what ESPN is doing right now.
      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
        "Adding Wichita State means the AAC must now be counted as a 'Major 7' conference" - CBS Sports

The Shockers put the AAC into college basketball's exclusive club of powerful leagues

by Matt Norlander
        Posted: 11/01/17, 7;00pm, cst

"...College basketball got better and more interesting with Wichita State, a team we project in the top five of all of college basketball, bailing on the Missouri Valley for the American this summer.

...Joining the American should ideally boost Wichita State's seeding situation come Selection Sunday in 2018 and beyond. By nature of playing in a weakened Missouri Valley Conference, the Shockers have been shortsightedly punished by the selection committee in recent seasons. They lacked the opportunity to land big wins in January, February and early March and so they dropped in the bracket. Despite multiple accepted mainstream metrics highly ranking the Shockers, the committee opted to slot Wichita State -- which from 2015-17 had an average of 27 wins by Selection Sunday -- with an average No. 9 seed....

...The American was already sitting at the table (albeit the far end) with the other big basketball conferences, but Wichita State's inclusion seals the deal. ...

...From a public relations and marketing standpoint, the American also gets this blend of a nationally recognizable program that still has a credible claim to play with a chip on its shoulder given how it's been seeded in recent years...

...I mentioned to Marshall that there is -- just as Gonzaga has -- a contingent of counterculture fans that root against the Shockers and Zags.

"What I think you'll find is those are fans of a BCS program that's not very successful," Marshall said. "There's a lot of schools, and I'm not going to name names, that are fortunate their university was placed in a certain conference so many years ago. Otherwise, they would be viewed very differently. A lot of this is just the conference. 'We're a big-time school, we're a big-time program,' when that's not the case. It's just the league you're in."...

...With this injury-catalyzed roster evolution, Marshall expects 10 guys to average double-digit minutes. If that happens, though it's hard to envision now even with such a high preseason position, the Shockers could wind up even better than predicted. That is the dream scenario for Marshall and the American. "

...And yet, for all the good this marriage brings to Wichita State, I'd argue it's even more prosperous for the American....
        "What I think you'll find is those are fans of a BCS program that's not very successful," Marshall said. "There's a lot of schools, and I'm not going to name names, that are fortunate their university was placed in a certain conference so many years ago. Otherwise, they would be viewed very differently. A lot of this is just the conference. 'We're a big-time school, we're a big-time program,' when that's not the case. It's just the league you're in."... That says alot.
        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post

"What I think you'll find is those are fans of a BCS program that's not very successful," Marshall said. "There's a lot of schools, and I'm not going to name names, that are fortunate their university was placed in a certain conference so many years ago. Otherwise, they would be viewed very differently. A lot of this is just the conference. 'We're a big-time school, we're a big-time program,' when that's not the case. It's just the league you're in."... That says alot.
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Norlander continues to give us love. His latest piece on the top 100 (and 1) college BB players lists two Shockers (Shamet at 21 and McDuffie at 88) along with at least five other AAC players. Oddly enough, no MVC players (although McIntosh shows up at 100).

Comment

• Anybody wanna breakdown what Mark Adams just posted on facebook? Something on twitter about him leaving the Valley, but I can't see it unless I have FB...and I refuse.

Comment

• KraRam
                KraRam commented
                Editing a comment
                Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Here is the link.

"The Valley was my dream job but new horizons bring new challenges and so it is time for me to say, “So long!” I will take on a new assignment this season which will become apparent in the coming days."

• wushock27
                wushock27 commented
                Editing a comment
                He's moving to the American broadcasts...he just announced it on Facebook

• Windiwu
                Windiwu commented
                Editing a comment
                Actually makes sense.. He graduated from the University of Cinncinati. This should really be a fun time.

• "College basketball is back. Here are 16 hotshots and long shots to win the NCAA tournament." - The Washington Post

By Patrick Stevens
              November 3 at 8:00 AM

"Looking at 16 teams with a chance — however slim in some cases — of snipping the nets on the final night of the season. Do not confuse this for a top 16; there’s a few long shots included....

CINCINNATI
              It’s hard to describe any 30-win season as quiet, but the Bearcats methodically took care of their business last year while navigating the American Athletic Conference. They lose two starters, but bring back three double-digit scorers in wing Jacob Evans and forwards Gary Clark and Kyle Washington. It’ll be up to skilled Sacred Heart transfer Cane Broome to keep things settled at both ends of the floor, and if he does, Coach Mick Cronin will be in good shape to guide Cincinnati not just to its seventh consecutive NCAA bid, but perhaps only its second Sweet 16 since 2001, its first Elite Eight since 1996 and maybe even more than that....

WICHITA STATE
              The Shockers have won at least 30 games in four of the past five years and advanced in the NCAA tournament in each of those seasons. They bring back nearly every contributor as they move from the Missouri Valley to the American Athletic Conference. That move might not prove to be the best long-term choice for Wichita State’s athletic department, but it’s going to work out just fine for the Shockers’ basketball team in 2017-18. They’ll probably lose more than one conference game (their average in the Valley over the last four years), but the bump in strength of schedule should be enough to help them escape unnecessarily difficult matchups in the first weekend of the postseason."

Comment

• "Burning Questions Ahead of the 2017-18 NCAA Basketball Season" - Bleacher Report

KERRY MILLER
                NOVEMBER 3, 2017

The start of the 2017-18 college basketball season is at our doorstep, but there are a few burning questions to address before it finally arrives. The biggest elephant in the room heading into the start of the season is the F...

"Aside from Duke, Who Are the Teams to Beat?

First and foremost on that list is Wichita State. The Shockers have consistently been one of the best mid-major teams throughout the 2010s, but they bring back everyone from a strong roster while making the transition from the Missouri Valley to the American Athletic. They do have two of the most noteworthy injuries in the country with both Landry Shamet and Markis McDuffie recovering from offseason foot surgeries. If and when those leading scorers get back up to full speed, though, Wichita State could be a No. 1 seed...."

Comment

• Originally posted by wheathead View Post
                  Anybody wanna breakdown what Mark Adams just posted on facebook? Something on twitter about him leaving the Valley, but I can't see it unless I have FB...and I refuse.
                  He's going to be covering the American. I'm torn on this. While it's nice to have someone that knows WSU so well covering it, he's so over the top he loses credibility at times and I was looking forward to a fully clean separation.

Comment

• this has gotta feel like insult to injury for the Valley. I agree with Stickboy. Mark is so over the top it comes off as trying too hard. I was looking forward to the clean break. On the other side he knows so much about the old Valley which included Cincy, Memphis, and Tulsa that it might bring more “tradition” to a conference that needs tradition (because The American is such a young conference)

Comment

• Mark seems like a real nice guy who absolutely loves him some college hoops. And he's willing to speak out some about the inequities in college basketball. But he's so over the top sometimes (I remember him calling Paris Lee the best PG in the country last year) it's cringeworthy and kills credibility. Hopefully things will be better just by nature of him not having to make an Evansville/SIU game sound exciting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

He's going to be covering the American. I'm torn on this. While it's nice to have someone that knows WSU so well covering it, he's so over the top he loses credibility at times and I was looking forward to a fully clean separation.
                        While I don't disagree with this, I also don't know what the options were (Bruce?); he could be the best choice. Plus, I haven't listened to enough AAC games to know their regular broadcaster's style. Personally, I rarely listen to the TV anyway. Mute and MK on the radio feed is my preferred listening arrangement.

Comment

• He is a bit over the top but I like his love for hoops and how he's willing to call out the BS of the NCAA. Oh, and he's not Joe Buck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walker View Post
                            He is a bit over the top but I like his love for hoops and how he's willing to call out the BS of the NCAA. Oh, and he's not Joe Buck.
                            Is he the one who called Shamet a "sit down and shut up player"?

Comment

• Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post

Is he the one who called Shamet a "sit down and shut up player"?
                              That's the one. I like the enthusiasm, he needs to drop the hyperbole.
                              You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Working...
                              X