2017-18 Media Love Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good read on the program and 3G.

"You look at some of the teams we beat," Marshall said. "You're talking about blue bloods. You're talking about Kansas and Indiana. You're talking about Arizona, who we had by 20. Who beats Arizona by 20? Just tell me. We beat Kansas by 13. We beat Gonzaga. We beat Vandy and Pitt when Jamie Dixon was really good. Dayton last year. The only teams we lose to are Kentucky twice."

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
      Good read on the program and 3G.

"You look at some of the teams we beat," Marshall said. "You're talking about blue bloods. You're talking about Kansas and Indiana. You're talking about Arizona, who we had by 20. Who beats Arizona by 20? Just tell me. We beat Kansas by 13. We beat Gonzaga. We beat Vandy and Pitt when Jamie Dixon was really good. Dayton last year. The only teams we lose to are Kentucky twice."

Each time I read one of these kind of articles, I am reminded that 3G is such a badass! I love it!

78-65

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Wichita State Shockers

Breakdown: Oh, without question Wichita State is a title contender. Welcome to a new era, Shockers. Not only are you starting your first season as dues-paying members of the American Athletic Conference, but you're setting records with preseason rankings and expectations. Wichita State has risen to a top-25 national program in the past half-decade under Gregg Marshall. He made a Final Four in 2013. He coached the team to an undefeated regular season and a No. 1 seed in 2014. He made the Sweet 16 in 2015, and last season's Shockers finished No. 8 in KenPom.com and entered the NCAAs with their highest ranking ever in that mainstream metric. But now, thanks to all starters returning, this Shockers team looks to be the strongest -- from a starting five perspective -- that the program has ever had. Landry Shamet is a 6-foot-5 point guard who has a good chance at being drafted. Markis McDuffie will get serious NBA looks as well. Once those two are back from foot injuries, the Shockers are going to be a load with Zach Brown's defense, Shaq Morris' rebounding and Conner Frankamp's shooting. Damn, it's impossible not to like this team's personnel.

Stat to know: The Shockers will try to go for a fifth straight season without more than one two-game losing streak. The last time it happened to WSU was 2012-13.

Comment

Good read on the program and 3G.

This is the article from Medcalf I was waiting for... It was worth the wait.

Comment

This kid is a winner in the mold of you-know-who (EW)! Big time legit.

Comment

• "Who Will Be The Breakout Teams In College Basketball This Season? The 6 Most Likely Candidates" - Chat Sports

By Brian Rauf
                  October 27, 2017

"Not all of these teams will be breakout teams in the traditional way - some are ranked in preseason polls - but I expect all of these programs to hugely exceed expectations. As always, hit me up on Twitter if you want to debate any of these (or if you think I left someone out). Here are the six teams that will have breakout seasons this year:

Alabama Crimson Tide - (Ken Pomeroy #23)
                  Texas Longhorns - (Ken Pomeroy #37)
                  Virginia Cavaliers - (Ken Pomeroy #9)
                  Indiana Hoosiers - (Ken Pomeroy #65)
                  UT-Arlington Mavericks - (Ken Pomeroy #107)

Wichita State Shockers - (Ken Pomeroy #4)
                  Calling Wichita State a breakout team is probably a major stretch. (you think?) They are ranked in the top 10 in the preseason polls and are coming off a second round appearance in the NCAA Tournament. However, I put them on this list because I think they're capable of pulling off the Gonzaga-like season of being a mid-major that is ranked No. 1 in the country throughout much of the year.

The Shockers return all of their top 10 players from last year's team headlined by point guard Landry Shamet, who is arguably the frontrunner for player of the year in the American Athletic Conference. It's the first season Wichita State will play in the AAC, which will only boost their strength of schedule and other metrics in the eyes of pollsters and the selection committee. Even though their schedule will be tougher, Gregg Marshall's squad may very well reel off another 30-win season - that's how talented and experienced they are. Don't be surprised to see this group at the top of the rankings this season...."

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                    "Who Will Be The Breakout Teams In College Basketball This Season? The 6 Most Likely Candidates" - Chat Sports

By Brian Rauf
                    October 27, 2017

"Not all of these teams will be breakout teams in the traditional way - some are ranked in preseason polls - but I expect all of these programs to hugely exceed expectations. As always, hit me up on Twitter if you want to debate any of these (or if you think I left someone out). Here are the six teams that will have breakout seasons this year:

Alabama Crimson Tide - (Ken Pomeroy #23)
                    Texas Longhorns - (Ken Pomeroy #37)
                    Virginia Cavaliers - (Ken Pomeroy #9)
                    Indiana Hoosiers - (Ken Pomeroy #65)
                    UT-Arlington Mavericks - (Ken Pomeroy #107)

Wichita State Shockers - (Ken Pomeroy #4)
                    Calling Wichita State a breakout team is probably a major stretch. (you think?) They are ranked in the top 10 in the preseason polls and are coming off a second round appearance in the NCAA Tournament. However, I put them on this list because I think they're capable of pulling off the Gonzaga-like season of being a mid-major that is ranked No. 1 in the country throughout much of the year.

The Shockers return all of their top 10 players from last year's team headlined by point guard Landry Shamet, who is arguably the frontrunner for player of the year in the American Athletic Conference. It's the first season Wichita State will play in the AAC, which will only boost their strength of schedule and other metrics in the eyes of pollsters and the selection committee. Even though their schedule will be tougher, Gregg Marshall's squad may very well reel off another 30-win season - that's how talented and experienced they are. Don't be surprised to see this group at the top of the rankings this season...."
                    QUIT CALLING US MID MAJOR!

Comment

• Marquette Basketball Preseason Preview: Wichita State

The question becomes if they have been overranked by KenPom because they were able to run up the score against their mid-major opponents or unfairly dismissed because of that same conference. The Shockers finally have the opportunity to answer that question as they ditched the Missouri Valley Conference for the AAC. Now, the AAC is still at the mid-major level in my opinion, but it is a significant step up in competition for the Shockers.

Comment

Marquette Basketball Preseason Preview: Wichita State

The question becomes if they have been overranked by KenPom because they were able to run up the score against their mid-major opponents or unfairly dismissed because of that same conference. The Shockers finally have the opportunity to answer that question as they ditched the Missouri Valley Conference for the AAC. Now, the AAC is still at the mid-major level in my opinion, but it is a significant step up in competition for the Shockers.

May be the only recap that points to "defense" for Conner. "Frankamp is a prototypical three and d type guard. The former Jayhawk can attack in multiple ways but is much more dependent on the three to score. Defensively he is relentless despite his small size. He has the speed to shut down guards on the perimeter and enough hops to challenge jumpshooters."

CF's defense is no longer considered matadorian, but it is hardly a strength. He fits in well, though, with the team defense scheme. He still allows his opponent to drive by him, but recovers with blocks from behind.

"I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                        ---------------------------------------
                        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• proshox
                          proshox commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I think he plays grea defense. Guards his guy well out to the three, very good at emergency defending, and has more blocks than he gets credit for.

Quick hands with high basketball IQ.

• Comment

Marquette Basketball Preseason Preview: Wichita State

Of course a writer for a mid-tier Big East school would consider the AAC a mid-major league. One of the last holdouts. Probably feeling his little kingdom is being threatened a bit.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Comment

• Who will be the best offenses in college basketball this year? Thanks to the addition of Marvin Bagley, Duke leads our projection of the top 50.

Wichita State (No. 9) won’t have Markis McDuffie early in the season while he rehabilitates a foot injury, but Landry Shamet’s scoring and facilitating will make the Shockers tough to guard even without him.

Comment

Working...
                              X