2017-18 Media Love Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    One huge advantage of joining the AAC is now we get our games covered by media in Memphis, Florida, Philly, Houston, Dallas, etc. That reaches a lot more people than Peoria, Normal, Springfield. This isn't so much "media Love", but now we're getting non-con games covered in Houston.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news...o-12401478.php
    I would say this particular article has more to do with us playing Baylor, which is only 2.5 hours from Houston, then our association with the AAC, but I think you are spot on with the point of your post. I think we will continue to see recruiting improve because of this increased coverage in bigger markets.

Comment

• I thought we had 'outgrown' the mid-major label, then I see who wrote the article...

"Daniel Levitt is a sports writer at FiveThirtyEight. He’s an alum of the University of Missouri"
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I thought we had 'outgrown' the mid-major label, then I see who wrote the article...

"Daniel Levitt is a sports writer at FiveThirtyEight. He’s an alum of the University of Missouri"
        Yeah, I thought he still missed the whole point. His premise is "look what they do with what they don't have and WANT to have." I would argue that Marshall would never try to recruit one and dones. It doesn't fit the WSU/Marshall work ethic and team first approach. I would argue that what Marshal is doing is challenging the current status quo thinking of college basketball -- with the right amount of talent and mindset you can MAKE amazing basketball players as opposed to the thought of "get the best player that's already fully developed and just stick him in the line up."

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I thought we had 'outgrown' the mid-major label, then I see who wrote the article...

At least they got some cool quotes from FVV, though.

Comment

• Normally I’m a fan of 538, but this article is generic and underwhelming. Something is better than nothing, but they left a lot of more interesting stories on the floor.

Comment

• The 538 article is one big back-handed compliment, with a strong undercurrent of MU fandom compensation.

Makes him feel better about his own alma mater to call WSU a “mid-major”, while suggesting MU to be a “college destination” for top recruits, when in reality MU is one of the most athletically-irrelevant schools in all of the P5 segment. They’re basically the Rutgers of the central US. Their VB win Saturday will likely be the pinnacle of achievement for their entire athletic department for this academic year.
              Last edited by SHOCKvalue; December 4, 2017, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• The first thing I thought reading this article was this guy hasn't seen WSU play. The second thing I thought was what would it be if Shockernet wrote it.

Comment

• "Bilas Index: A full look at the best 68 teams in college hoops" - ESPN

Jay Bilas, College Basketball analyst
                  Posted: 12/05/17, 8:12am cst

Let's get a few things straight: The Bilas Index looks at the best 68 teams in college basketball. It is never wrong. It loves Duke and Villanova, it predicts who will climb and who will fall, and it explains why, in this sport, every game really matters.

"While college football flails around and morphs into college basketball -- with its silly committee compromising every value and statement that college football has conned us all with over the decades and claimed to hold dear -- the unwashed masses can always look to The Bilas Index for clarity, consistency and exactitude. After all, in college basketball, "every game counts." While that phrase has been trademarked by the college football headbangers, it is total nonsense in that sadistic ground acquisition game. None of UCF's 12 wins against zero losses actually counted. As far as the race for the national championship is concerned, UCF played 12 exhibition games. Conference championships mean absolutely nothing. In college basketball, a conference title means you are in the tournament for the national title. Period. In football, the committee already has proved it will select teams that haven't won a conference title.

Therefore, in college football, it is laughable to suggest that every game counts. They do not. In fact, most of the games played don't count at all. In college basketball, every game does count, and every team is in it to the end. While both multibillion-dollar sports are flawed in the administration of the game, The Bilas Index is flawless and perfect.

The Bilas Index is the apotheosis of basketball judgment and achievement in the known universe. It takes into account every relevant factor in the game, from observation, film study and analysis, and applies every reliable metric, fact and judgment to the product on the floor, sorted out by the most powerful tool of basketball analysis known to man, The Bilastrator's high-functioning gray matter. So, as football fans continue to turn red arguing over the nonsensical standards of that game, you will be treated to absolute certitude from The Bilas Index. You're welcome....

6. Wichita State Shockers
                  The Shockers are not yet healthy because Markis McDuffie is out with an injury. When McDuffie returns, this is a top-five team that can beat anyone in the country. Wichita State has some adjustments to make on both offense and defense, but is capable of reaching the Final Four.

8. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
                  The Irish are older and sound. Mike Brey has two absolute studs in Bonzie Colson, the first player under 6-foot-7 to lead the ACC in rebounding since 1958, and Matt Farrell, the first player to ever start at point guard one year and be the leprechaun the next. Notre Dame got hit with a bag of wrenches at Michigan State, but this team is very good, and better on the defensive end.

18. Cincinnati Bearcats
                  The Bearcats have always been a hard-playing group of defenders and rebounders, but this version of UC can score, too. The loss to Xavier was to a team that can defend. Games against Florida, UCLA and Mississippi State will test the Bearcats.

21. SMU Mustangs
                  The Ponies have dropped a couple of games -- with losses against Northern Iowa and Western Kentucky -- but drilled USC on the road. The Mustangs are third in the nation in points allowed at 56.3 per game.

36. Baylor Bears
                  The Bears' defense is good, but the offense is spotty and inconsistent. Losing Terry Maston to injury does not help. Losses to Wichita State and Xavier were not unexpected. Right now, they are better teams.

41. Oklahoma Sooners
                  Trae Young is ridiculous. Just ridiculous.

48. Marquette Golden Eagles
                  It remains to be seen whether the loss of Haanif Cheatham will hurt Marquette, but this team can really shoot the ball. Andrew Rowsey and Markus Howard are elite shooters. Sam Hauser is an indispensable player who does it all for coach Steve Wojciechowski. When Harry Froling becomes eligible, the inside game will improve.

53. Houston Cougars
                  The Cougars can hit perimeter shots. Leading scorer Rob Gray(21.5 PPG) is hitting on 45 percent of his 3s, up from 38 percent a year ago and 34 percent the year before that.

54. UCF Knights
                  The Knights play great defense again this year, but suffered a really tough loss to St. John's and Missouri before bouncing back for a great road win at Alabama. UCF is struggling with poor shooting and turnovers, but defense is keeping the Knights in games.

67. Oklahoma State Cowboys
                  The Cowboys have had some good moments playing in front of almost nobody at Gallagher-Iba Arena. Tougher games are ahead. A winning record now does not mean a winning record later...."

Comment

• He called Shamet a junior

Comment

• proshox
                      proshox commented
                      Editing a comment
                      From the perspective of caring about the age of a player (Which NBA scouts believe is important, because older players putting up spectacular numbers against 18 year olds has been fools gold for NBA draft scenarios).. he is a junior

• Summarized reports, including a scout on MM. Players are listed by school, with schools being alphanumeric.

Comment

• Originally posted by IndianaShocker View Post
                      Summarized reports, including a scout on MM. Players are listed by school, with schools being alphanumeric.

Very good link, seems like they keep the reports relatively up to date. Some cool, and pretty accurate breakdowns. Nice to see some breakdowns and of fringey players who will probably get summer league looks in Connor, Zack, and Shaq(Shaq has some chance of pushing himself into the second round).

Comment

• "Is This The Year For Wichita State?" - The Georgetown Voice (Student Press)

By: Santul Nerkar
                        Posted: 12/08/2017

http://georgetownvoice.com/2017/12/0...wichita-state/

"The mere utterance of “Wichita State” is enough to strike fear into the hearts of NCAA Blue Bloods, and not just because of their petrifying mascot. The once-cute Shockers have transformed into a perennial March Madness contender, using a stifling defense to fluster even the most organized offenses in college basketball. Wichita State’s high-profile tournament victims since 2013 have included Gonzaga, Ohio State, Arizona, and Kansas, whose status as top dog in the Sunflower State was claimed by the Shockers following their 2015 showdown.

This year, the Shockers are at it again, sporting a top-ten defense to go along with a gutty playmaker in sophomore guard Landry Shamet. Yet, this year’s Shockers have garnered much more publicity than in previous years, earning preseason hype and even a moniker as the “Gonzaga of the Midwest.” There have even been several predictions for a return to the Final Four. Why this shift in narrative? Can the Shockers live up to the challenge?..."

Comment

• "Wichita State’s high-profile tournament victims since 2013 have included Gonzaga, Ohio State, Arizona, and Kansas, whose status as top dog in the Sunflower State was claimed by the Shockers following their 2015 showdown."

Santul Nerkar gets it.
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Shamet AAC PoW

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The American Athletic Conference has announced the winners of the league’s weekly men’s basketball honors for the week of Dec. 4-10.

Comment

Working...
                            X