Shaq Morris--Shocker X-Factor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
    Lots of talk here about Shaq, MM, Landry et al., but I will be shocked if CF isn't the leader in ppg this season.
    I don't think he will be the ppg leader for the season, but I could certainly see him lighting somebody (or maybe a couple of somebodies) up for 30 on a given day. I'd love for one of those somebodies to be FUKU in the NCAA tournament.
    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
      Lots of talk here about Shaq, MM, Landry et al., but I will be shocked if CF isn't the leader in ppg this season.
      I wouldn't be shocked if CF led the team in scoring but I would be somewhat surpised. Cetainly not what I would anticipate. Most of our past opponents seem pretty determined not to let Conner beat them at what he does best. Knock down the long ball. I don't see that changing. However, just the fact that Conner will draw that kind of attention and focus helps the team and is valuable in opening things up for some of his teammates.

I will be a bit shocked if this team doesn't have great scoring balance again this season.

Comment

CF will be blanketed, every coach knows he can light it up if left open. Unless he has figured out how to get his own shot, his best role will be drawing double teams so guys like Rashard and Zach can get open looks.

Comment

Might be off topic here but does anyone know is Shaq graduated already since he has been here for four years?

If so and he decided to stay that deserves some recognition especially in today's college athletics.
          Why walk somebody in baseball when you can hit them?

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxcity View Post
            Might be off topic here but does anyone know is Shaq graduated already since he has been here for four years?

If so and he decided to stay that deserves some recognition especially in today's college athletics.
            He has not graduated.
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

If Shaq looks fit and game ready at Shocker Madness, I predict a terrific season for us. Can the big fella give us another minute or two per half? He averaged 18 last year. Understood that included long stretches of foul trouble and a lot of blowouts.
              Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Summary of minutes per game for various levels of fouls commited:

Fouls Games Minutes Min/game
                0 2 46 23.0
                1 7 121 17.3
                2 8 170 21.3
                3 12 191 15.9
                4 4 73 18.3
                5 1 10 10.0
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                  Summary of minutes per game for various levels of fouls commited:

Fouls Games Minutes Min/game
                  0 2 46 23.0
                  1 7 121 17.3
                  2 8 170 21.3
                  3 12 191 15.9
                  4 4 73 18.3
                  5 1 10 10.0
                  Great post from @im4wsu: as usual! 20 mpg from Shaq should be just fine with Nurger, God Bear and Willis backing him up and MM and RKelly at the 4.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                    Great device from @im4wsu: as usual! 20 mpg from Shaq should be just fine with Nurger, God Bear and Willis backing him up and MM and RKelly at the 4.
                    Yep. Thanks im4wsu. 20-22 would be the goal. He is good when he is in.
                    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

In hopes that Shaq gets in tip-top shape. Even so, he seems to need some rest, even on a night he is peaking and with no foul trouble. Now, we have even more of a reinforcement mix with the new addition of A.M. and look for Nurger to come on strong his Senior Season. Rim Protection? Check. Rebounders? Check. Inside, midrange, and outside scoring potential? Check. Interior Defense? Check. Thus, there are 3 players that can man the 5 IMO.
                      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                        In hopes that Shaq gets in tip-top shape. Even so, he seems to need some rest, even on a night he is peaking and with no foul trouble. Now, we have even more of a reinforcement mix with the new addition of A.M. and look for Nurger to come on strong his Senior Season. Rim Protection? Check. Rebounders? Check. Inside, midrange, and outside scoring potential? Check. Interior Defense? Check. Thus, there are 3 players that can man the 5 IMO.
                        If Rauno/AM can combine for 20-25 minutes a game in March/April I think we'll meet expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                          If Rauno/AM can combine for 20-25 minutes a game in March/April I think we'll meet expectations.
                          With those two players you mention, I think they will put in the hard work to do just that and hopefully it will help them produce to the best of their abilities. Both should have a future after College making some green in this game of basketball which should also result in their diligence in preparing often to be successful.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                            Since RN averaged 14.1 last season, that leaves 6-11 for AM which shouldn't be asking too much. Eric Hamilton played 124 minutes, which over 36 games (he only appeared in 26) is 3.4 minutes. Austin Reaves averaged 10.8 minutes over the 36 games, just to give a flavor of how often we need to see AM on the floor.
                            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                            ---------------------------------------
                            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I expect AM will only be getting minutes for the purpose of some D1 experience.

Even without AM, we have the 3-headed monster at both Center and PF, if Willis is a PF/C combo. That makes one rotation of Morris/Nurger/Willis and another of McDuffie/Kelly/Willis. If AM can earn minutes against that group of post players, I would be (quite pleasantly) surprised.

The front court is so deep, the Shox can easily afford to have McDuffie as a 3/4 combo. When Brown needs a break, swing Mcduffie over there and bring in one of the posts off the bench. There's not much of a drop off in that situation.

The drop off when subbing out in the back court may depend on Reaves' status and situation. Subbing out at C/PF/SF looks like an almost imperceptible drop off, if any at all. I think Nurger has potential to be the best backup post player in the nation this year. Kelly coming off the bench at PF is brutal (for the opponents).
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

The 4 and 5 slots this Season seemed shored up and ready to compete with anybody. Is it possible that Willis could have a Senior Season similar to Carl Hall? I never blink an eye when Kelly is in the game because he is a leader on the floor, plays tough D, and hustles to the max. Nurger is an inside and outside threat and would be a starter at many other D-1 schools. He really needed the redshirt Season but was aware we were short-handed on bigs at the time and jumped in for the Shocks which was a relief at the time and not forgotten. MM will play the 3 and the 4 IMO and help ZB slow down some top players for better quality teams we now will face all Season long. While A.M. indeed could play a limited role this Season, I look for his minutes to increase by 2nd semester. I hear he is as tall as we hoped, can protect our rim, and is better than advertised now that he is here. He has faced plenty of stiff competition in his past and will adapt smoothly.

What does this all mean? We are geared up and ready IMO to be tougher than even last Season inside with all these different looks depending on what 3G sees we need to combat various match-ups. For sure, we are very experienced at the 4 and 5 slots not to mention better overall quality depth when foul trouble presents its brutal self or rest is needed.

Comment

Working...
                                X