No announcement yet.

Shaq Morris--Shocker X-Factor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's what we got as I see it. The tripod foundation of three possible impact difference makers in Shaq, LS, and MM. Next, our 6 Seniors (includes Shaq) which are solid and experienced which partly resulted in prognosticators ranking us sky high. Our 3 Sophs. which includes Shamet should all be improved. If AR redshirts then ZB and CJ could be called on to play some 2 which could move MM to the 3 and maybe allow more minutes for several bigs at the 4. Then we have the newcomers which include A.M. for rim protection. By the way, I have not seen him play but am hearing encouraging things of him from 2 very reliable sources. SJ is a smooth consistent guard that can stroke the rock and is a solid ball handler. I can hear it now. "Brown in for Brown. Brown back in for Brown, and then Brown with the steal to Brown for the breakaway slam with an exclamation point.." That will be music to our ears and not so much for are foes.

What does it all mean? IMO, this team will be really good and better than last Season, even with the tougher schedule. When you face a new and improved schedule, this squad is the one you want to bring to the party. Last but not least, my hopes for Shaq is to meet every bit of potential he can produce on the court this Season and show we fans and the whole wide world just how good he can truly be on a consistent basis.
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Shaq will be a force even if he still fouls a lot. But, he could be so much more this season if he is able to greatly reduce the unnecessary fouls he commits.

Comment

I feel like he got a lot better at not fouling in the 2nd half of the season. My confidence in Shaq this year is very very high.

We typically get the slightly lazy, perhaps unfocused Shaq at the beginning of every year. This year, you can tell he's eyeing the NBA seriously. I think we'll have a 110% focused Shaq throughout the entire season. Get that man a bib, because he's about to feast.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
          I feel like he got a lot better at not fouling in the 2nd half of the season. My confidence in Shaq this year is very very high.

We typically get the slightly lazy, perhaps unfocused Shaq at the beginning of every year. This year, you can tell he's eyeing the NBA seriously. I think we'll have a 110% focused Shaq throughout the entire season. Get that man a bib, because he's about to feast.
          Fouls per 40 minutes:

First 12 OOC games 7.0
          Conf Games 4.0
          5 Post Season 5.5
          Total 5.2
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I feel like ShaQ will get appx. 1.7 less fouls playing ball in the AAC. Elgin's league was all about fair and participation trophies.
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
              I feel like ShaQ will get appx. 1.7 less fouls playing ball in the AAC. Elgin's league was all about fair and participation trophies.
              I also believe there will be a lot more folks in the AAC that fall down when they get within 5 ft of Shaq, and from my observation the AAC actually allows blocked shots.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                I also believe there will be a lot more folks in the AAC that fall down when they get within 5 ft of Shaq, and from my observation the AAC actually allows blocked shots.
                So true. :banghead:

Comment

In terms of any Shockers fouling out last Season, Shaq and Nurger only fouled out only one time apiece. Where Shaq gets pine-stricken is getting his 2nd foul to early in the 1st half and his 3rd foul too early in the 2nd half IMO. If this trend does indeed continue this Season, if the rumblings I am hearing about A.M. being a keeper is true, at least by Conference time we should have him in the rotation as well as our experienced Senior bigs who will continue to improve and be dialed into our rotation and primed and ready.

Our Shocks were not intimidated by a team even as good as Kentucky last Season. LS and Shaq (when not in foul trouble) led an impressive attempt to get a win. At the end, Kentucky made some big shots and 2 big blocks that the refs deemed as both clean and that gave them the close win.

Comment

Shaq has had trouble with fouls?? You have all properly identified his issue from the beginning of his Shocker career. He made a great deal of progress last season so there is hope. Someone mentioned that the Kentucky big man started playing better the second half. That was a direct result of Shaq sitting on the bench with fouls. Willis & Nurger had some issues with his strength/size combination. It might have been the reason he was a first round draft pick in the NBA. I did think Shaq played very well head to head against him.

Comment

Originally posted by homegrownshocker View Post
                      Shaq has had trouble with fouls?? You have all properly identified his issue from the beginning of his Shocker career. He made a great deal of progress last season so there is hope. Someone mentioned that the Kentucky big man started playing better the second half. That was a direct result of Shaq sitting on the bench with fouls. Willis & Nurger had some issues with his strength/size combination. It might have been the reason he was a first round draft pick in the NBA. I did think Shaq played very well head to head against him.
                      My allusion was primarily to Shaq -ahem- whispering in Bam's ear. Shaq was on the court for a couple of those slams in the second. And boards. Just sayin'.

That being said, I thought Shaq played a decent game for an undersized post against several future NBA'ers.

Comment

You were correct in pointing out Bam came on in the 2nd half. That is factual. Yes Shaq wanted to let Bam know he was doing well, but I am so used to seeing this nonsense from players that you have to be way over the top to get me to really notice. It was a good matchup for Shaq because he was strong enough to prevent Bam from pushing him in to deep under the boards. Again, Bam is very talented so he is going to make some plays. Atleast one of the dunks occurred because Shaq went for a block which left him wide open.

I am a huge Willis fan, not trying to place blame on him for doing a poor job, just stating that Bam was too big in my opinion and pushed him around that game (225 to 270 lbs.). Willis is super aggressive and.did his best (same with Nurger).

Just having a good time discussing a painful loss for this shocker fan.

Comment

I think DW can be very good, at times, but we would have beat Kentucky had
                          he blocked out a couple key times and DS hadn't tried to do too much when
                          others were carrying the team

Comment

We have 6 Seniors, so leadership should not be an issue this coming Season. However, we also complete the tripod of Landry S. and MM to the fold with Shaq who are very impressive. You can know when Kelly is on the court that he will exhibit leadership qualities. Next, we may see less "shortening of the bench" with this squad. Thus, even in tough games, mighten we see 11-13 Shocks playing in the mix? Not sure, but the experts sure are ranking us 'sky high' before the Season begins which point to quality experience and off the charts quality depth.

To me, this is what I am hoping happens. I refer back to the tripod of Shaq, LS, and MM as our foundation and possible leadership. Let's just say, these three are hitting on all cylinders, Austin is alive, heathy and well on Planet Earth, 3rd rock from the sun, and our 6 Seniors are have their best Season ever here at WSU? Oh, I did not almost forgot. Here is what I hear from very reliable sources on A.M. whom I have not had the chance to observe playing yet. "He is really tall!!! He can play now and protect our rim!!! There are no regrets bringing him in here. "One publication ranked us 4th in the Nation with one concern. It went something like this: "Will Shaq have help inside?" My opinion which is always for free, goes as follows: "Yes he will, but we need Shaq to 'step up to the pump' and have his best Season ever here and help lead us to the NCAA Promised Land because This is his final shot ." Let's just say if all of these hopes truly floats? Watch out!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                              We have 6 Seniors, so leadership should not be an issue this coming Season. However, we also complete the tripod of Landry S. and MM to the fold with Shaq who are very impressive. You can know when Kelly is on the court that he will exhibit leadership qualities. Next, we may see less "shortening of the bench" with this squad. Thus, even in tough games, mighten we see 11-13 Shocks playing in the mix? Not sure, but the experts sure are ranking us 'sky high' before the Season begins which point to quality experience and off the charts quality depth.

To me, this is what I am hoping happens. I refer back to the tripod of Shaq, LS, and MM as our foundation and possible leadership. Let's just say, these three are hitting on all cylinders, Austin is alive, heathy and well on Planet Earth, 3rd rock from the sun, and our 6 Seniors are have their best Season ever here at WSU? Oh, I did not almost forgot. Here is what I hear from very reliable sources on A.M. whom I have not had the chance to observe playing yet. "He is really tall!!! He can play now and protect our rim!!! There are no regrets bringing him in here. "One publication ranked us 4th in the Nation with one concern. It went something like this: "Will Shaq have help inside?" My opinion which is always for free, goes as follows: "Yes he will, but we need Shaq to 'step up to the pump' and have his best Season ever here and help lead us to the NCAA Promised Land because This is his final shot ." Let's just say if all of these hopes truly floats? Watch out!!!!!!!!!!!
                              i was so impressed with rashard kelly after january last season. i saw enough then to expect him to do very well in the aac.

i hope mitgaard is as good as some seem to indicate. i just can't be fired up, though, until i see something tangible from him whilst wearing a shocker uniform.
                              Last edited by another shocker; July 14, 2017, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Lots of talk here about Shaq, MM, Landry et al., but I will be shocked if CF isn't the leader in ppg this season.

Comment

Working...
                                X