16-17 Games of Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by XManCometh View Post
    I think you're a little drunk off of the excitement stemming from that KU loss to be seeing clearly.

KU at full strength, re: with Josh Jackson (who they didn't have today), is so much better than Gonzaga and it isn't even close. And I've watched FAR too many Gonzaga games this year in the wee hours of the morning.

But anyway, KU probably wouldn't be a 1 seed in any of the previous 4-5 years. They are this year because there isn't anyone else stand-out enough to take it away from them.
    I have watched many KU games this season and their lack of depth presents itself frequently. IMO the Beakers weak and shallow roster offers th Shockers an opportunity greater than just witness against ISUr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
      I have watched many KU games this season and their lack of depth presents itself frequently. IMO the Beakers weak and shallow roster offers th Shockers an opportunity greater than just witness against ISUr.
      Eh, Villanova won the title last year going basically 8 deep. Depth doesn't matter as much in the tournament as many would like to believe.

But Villanova had better quality depth. KU really doesn't have that. So you may be on to something. If they lose Jackson or Mason they're basically screwed.

Also, you watched KU games? Are you a closet KU fan?!?! :O

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyShock View Post
        Anyone else notice that they only ran 8 deep? No way that doesn't bite them in the butt against a team that rolls lines like a hockey team.
        They go 6 deep and play Bragg, Lightfoot and Coleby as little as possible. All starters played 35 or more minutes. I don't care how good they are, somebody is going to heat them up late. It's disgusting they get to play at home, if they get there.

Comment

• I am trying to imagine what sort of horrible crime the next Jailhawk will have to commit in order to get suspended a game.......

Comment

A TCU team that beat Illinois State by 9 and held Paris Lee to 13 points on only 8 shots.

A TCU team that beat Bradley by 30.

TCU would have finished 3rd in our league. Possibly 2nd.

Plus KU was down Josh Jackson, so Mason had to play extra minutes. Even if he was gassed he still scored 29 points with 6 assists.

I know you guys just like to pile on KU when they lose because it's fun, but sometimes it's like some of you haven't watched college basketball outside of WSU all season. TCU is pretty good and they have some very good players and a great coach.
            First Jamie Dixon is a great coach - really?

You seem oblivious to the fact that KU has a very limited roster. Think about three possibilities -

1. If a starter gets hurt - they lose in the tournament;

2. If a starter fouls out - they lose in the tournament; and, most importantly,

3. If they play a deep team like the Shockers - they lose in the tournament.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
              I am trying to imagine what sort of horrible crime the next Jailhawk will have to commit in order to get suspended a game.......
              Well let's see what they've done:

Vandalized a car
              Left the scene of an accident
              Potential rape (allegedly)
              Domestic violence (twice, I believe)

One suspension

Missing anything?

I'd think they'd have to ether steal a police car or rob a bank at this point. Even then they probably wouldn't miss more than the opening round game.

I think Bill Self is a nice guy and all, but he doesn't seem to have control of his players this year.

Comment

First Jamie Dixon is a great coach - really?

You seem oblivious to the fact that KU has a very limited roster. Think about three possibilities -

1. If a starter gets hurt - they lose in the tournament;

2. If a starter fouls out - they lose in the tournament; and, most importantly,

3. If they play a deep team like the Shockers - they lose in the tournament.
                Well, he has a 72% winning percentage and took a team to an Elite 8. I think that's pretty good. Maybe not "great" as I said as I probably over-sold it to make a point, but he's well above average.

I understand who KU has on it's roster. Yes, they are limited, but they have two of the best players in the country on that limited roster.

1) Yes, you're right. But how many teams who lose a key starter wouldn't lose in the tournament? Not everyone runs 15 deep like we do.

2) See #1

3) Possibly. Deep doesn't necessarily mean "good". I don't think I could even name another team that runs as deep, and good, as we do.

But you're right on with all three of those examples. Still doesn't mean I think depth means much in the NCAA tournament, especially with all the off days.
                Last edited by XManCometh; March 9, 2017, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Eh, Villanova won the title last year going basically 8 deep. Depth doesn't matter as much in the tournament as many would like to believe.

But Villanova had better quality depth. KU really doesn't have that. So you may be on to something. If they lose Jackson or Mason they're basically screwed.

Also, you watched KU games? Are you a closet KU fan?!?! :O
                  I watch KU because I am a proud Kansan but, no I am not and never have been a fan of any Beaker team. I could not root for the KU track team with Jim Ryun even though his father and my father were workmates and friends.

Comment

I watch KU because I am a proud Kansas but, no I am not and never have been a fan of any Beaker team. I could not root for the KU track team with Jim Ryun even though his father and my father were workmates and friends.
                    I was just kidding around and turning around what everyone was saying to me. I'm not a fan of theirs either, but apparently if you want to talk hoops and decide to post rational opinions about KU that aren't "LOL KU lost they suck/TCU is the worst/KU is soft" then you're a closeted KU fan.

Comment

Vandalized a car
                      Domestic violence (twice, I believe)

One suspension.
                      Wasn't there a failure to appear in court charge too? Also, didn't Bragg have a weed thing? Maybe I'm misremembering.

Comment

Well, he has a 72% winning percentage and took a team to an Elite 8. I think that's pretty good. Maybe not "great" as I said as I probably over-sold it to make a point, but he's well above average.

I understand who KU has on it's roster. Yes, they are limited, but they have two of the best players in the country on that limited roster.

1) Yes, you're right. But how many teams who lose a key starter wouldn't lose in the tournament? Not everyone runs 15 deep like we do.

2) See #1

3) Possibly. Deep doesn't necessarily mean "good". I don't think I could even name another team that runs as deep as we do.

But you're right on with all three of those examples. Still doesn't mean I think depth means much in the NCAA tournament, especially with all the off days.
                        IMO Dixon might be slightly better than the average D1 coach. He is no where close to the Top Ten coaches; a group in which I include HC3G and Bill Self.

IMO success in March Madness is predicated on excellent guard play and a deep bench (9-10 players)

Comment

I was just kidding around and turning around what everyone was saying to me. I'm not a fan of theirs either, but apparently if you want to talk hoops and decide to post rational opinions about KU that aren't "LOL KU lost they suck/TCU is the worst/KU is soft" then you're a closeted KU fan.
                          Some Shockernet posters can become a "bit unhinged" regards the Beakers; however, IMO some of your earlier posts crossed the line of just offering a counter point argument regards the Beakers.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                            Wasn't there a failure to appear in court charge too? Also, didn't Bragg have a weed thing? Maybe I'm misremembering.
                            Nope, you're exactly right. According to Google, Bragg was suspended for that weed thing, I forgot about that too.

So, here's the tally as of now:

Vandalized a car
                            Domestic violence (two players, I believe)
                            Weed
                            Failure to appear in court

Two suspensions.

That's quite a bit for 12 guys to accomplish in one year. How do they even have time to practice?

Granted, in a lot of that charges weren't even pressed, but still. If there's smoke, there's fire.

Comment

Some Shockernet posters can become a "bit unhinged" regards the Beakers; however, IMO some of your earlier posts crossed the line of just offering a counter point argument regards the Beakers.

Well, when you're trying to have a discussion and get replies like this:

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                              KU seems to be a "soft" spot for you.

Hah, get it?
                              Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                              I guess I just find it odd that there are WSU fans dressed as KU apologists on this site. And who the **** cares if WSU fans pile on KU? This is a WICHITA STATE message board the last time I checked.

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                              KU fan having a meltdown on Shockernet.
                              Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                              You crazy!
                              Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                              Or perhaps some just like to see the smug smiles wiped off of the faces of the entitled Jayhawk fans.

You stop trying to have a rational discussion about college basketball and realize it's just "Trash KU or bust" and just go all in.

I've learned my lesson: Don't do anything where it might seem like you might be even trying to apologize for KU, or else. I've seen this gang mentality happen far too often on here and it's pretty sad. Some people deserve it as they're obviously just here to troll. A majority do not.

Comment

Well, when you're trying to have a discussion and get replies like this:
                                You stop trying to have a rational discussion about college basketball and realize it's just "Trash KU or bust" and just go all in.

I've learned my lesson: Don't do anything where it might seem like you might be even trying to apologize for KU, or else. I've seen this gang mentality happen far too often on here and it's pretty sad.
                                Only three posters flamed you; and regards ShockerFever - his moniker says it all!

Comment

Working...
                                X