No announcement yet.

NCAA Tournament - Wichita State vs. Arizona Official Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I read the updated kenpom right, we moved up to 8th. Our defense also continues to improve. There is as big a gap between us (the best defensive team) and the second best defensive team in the tournament (2 and 3 in kenpom aren't in the tournament) as there is between the second best defensive team in the tournament and kenpom's 25th best defense.

Our defense is really incredible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
      1110 central. 1210 Eastern
      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• I'm sure it gets old hearing this from me, but I'm so freaking proud of these guys, these coaches, this program.

It's a joy to watch this TEAM get on and off the bus. How amazing is it to watch them play? How much fun do they have busting ass? Other teams love scoring....these guys love getting shot clock violations.

They've given me more joy than I thought was possible as a fan of a sporting event. Thank you Wichita State.

A few takeaways from the game.

Arizona makes more FTs on the season than their opponents take. That's a big stat for me. Great coaching. WSU 15-19 UA 9-15

Defense without fouling. Minus a few 1st half minutes, check.

5 steals moves Freddy within 1 of the all time record at WSU.

I can't really tell you how good Ron and Fred are, and were last night. If you haven't figured that out by now, I'm certainly not capable of helping you.

But what makes this team special are the contributions they are getting from everyone else. Shaq with 7 and 7 and 2 blocks and was dominant at times against a REALLY BIG AND TALENTED Wildcat interior. Conner was super. 2 blocks from the kid that people say can't play D. Most of those "some people" reside in Lawrence. More on that shortly. 10 points, 2 assists, no turnovers and something sick like +30 plus minus in 14 minutes (when combined with) McDuffie too was scintillating. 10 points, 2 steals, 4 boards and more fantastic D in his 21 minutes.

Nurger again gave the team a lift when they needed it. Big Bush too.

Everyone was great defensively, from Wessel to RKelly, from Big Bush to Grady, Ron to Fred. Just incredible.

Kudos to the coaching staff that set it all up. Nobody is better. And at 3.3 per, Gregg is still the best bargain in the country.

Coach Miller is a classy dude and there seemed to be a lot of mutual admiration between the teams. Always makes the event that much more enjoyable, if that's even possible these days.

One final comment. For almost 2 years I've been reading and hearing ku fans laughing and making jabs at Conner and how he couldn't play at ku and can't play D and how happy they are that he's gone blah blah blah blah.

Well, this WSU fan is very happy he's a Shocker and I'm proud of the work he's done and how he's progressed and the student athlete he's become.

And to those same ku fans, not a prediction but objects in your rearview mirror may be larger than they appear.

Go Shocks. Beat Miami.

Oh, and thanks NCAA. Not that this team needed anymore motivation, but thanks for it anyway. What's next? Telling us we can't fly home?

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Which means, of course, that we're better than Oregon, a #1 seed.

A #1 seed coached by Dana Altman, granted, but still a #1 seed.

Comment

• TEAM is right. They are constantly supporting each other --unlike the two Baylor players who got into an altercation during a timeout.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post
              TEAM is right. They are constantly supporting each other --unlike the two Baylor players who got into an altercation during a timeout.

Speaking of Baylor......I'm no fan, but Taurean Prince absolutely shut down that snarky reporter that asked him about how Yale out-rebounded Baylor. Well done young man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Keyser Soze View Post
                Sometimes people just amaze me...we get a featured standalone times lot on CBS and people are bitching? This is GREAT news for our continued skyrocketing brand.

Maybe our fanbase should learn a thing or two from the players and develop a little mental toughness.
                It is a damn short turnaround. They will use it.

Comment

• It's damn fun to be a Shocker right now.
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Im kinda over the whole "OMG I HOPE WE WIN I KNOW WE'RE GOOD AND I WANT OTHERS TO KNOW TOO"

At no point yesterday was I really sweating any of it. I mean dont get me wrong - the angst of a big game was there. And in no way shape or form am I disrespecting Arizona, they are a fine team with a great program/tradition.

But I was just kinda like "meh another game"

next year might be another story. We lose so much. But until then... We're the best team until proven we're not.

Comment

• My point isn't to personally call anyone out. But for those Wichita media and Shocker fans who doubted Fred and Ron after the MVC Tournament need to take stock in what they said. A reminder of some that was said, "im looking forward to a team without Ron and Fred" and "we just don't deserve to be in the NCAA Tournament this year" and probably worse. A word to the "wise", Never doubt these two Shocker legends and the best coach WSU has ever had.

Comment

• Originally posted by Keyser Soze View Post
                        Sometimes people just amaze me...we get a featured standalone times lot on CBS and people are bitching? This is GREAT news for our continued skyrocketing brand.

Maybe our fanbase should learn a thing or two from the players and develop a little mental toughness.
                        Last I checked our fan base wasn't playing the game and have every right to be concerned about it. Toughness can only take you so far when your legs are shot. Ask Ron about the Iowa game.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                          It's damn fun to be a Shocker right now.

Everyday in March when you wake up and have to Google the next game time is a great day.

Comment

• D bag KU called in to sports daily called into the first 20 minutes of show and said "You realize KU did play yesterday too right?" SMH
                            Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

• Originally posted by newshock1234 View Post
                              D bag KU called in to sports daily called into the first 20 minutes of show and said "You realize KU did play yesterday too right?" SMH
                              I had a similar conversation with my wife yesterday. When I got home from work yesterday, she told me that KU had won...not being snarky about it but just letting me know. She got mad when I gave a "Yeah, whatever" comment. I explained to her that (other than the fact that I hate the Beakers) I reacted that way because KU was a 1 playing a 16. That's not supposed to be surprising. I acted the same way two years ago after the Cal Poly game. I don't recall going on social media to proclaim that my squad was the greatest thing since sliced bread because it beat a 16 seed.
                              78-65

Comment

Working...
                              X