Coach Marshall Advisory Committee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    then who on earth do you have for a PG next year?

Don't even try Frankamp. If he were being groomed to be a PG, he would have had some minutes at the position this year. He was behind JRS in minutes at PG. Moving Baker to PG to rest Fred put a potential AA out of position. If playing Baker out of position instead of using Frankamp at PG (after a year in the program) was the best plan, then Frankamp seems to have shown little ability to play that position in a year of practices.

Shamet is another option, but he hasn't played a minute at that position and has had probably no practice time at PG.

Smith is another option, but he's a JuCo who doesn't know the system. Even the best JuCo PG's have taken half a season or even a year to get up to speed.

If Taylor gets run, then every PG Marshall has signed, since FVV, has been released from the program.
    Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
    Believe me, I REALLY want to see TT be the next PG. I'm just going off a feeling I have.

If he was going to be the next PG, I feel they would be giving him more minutes already. He's come in behind JRS a couple times this season even.
    Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
    It's not hard to figure out why JRS is getting more playing time than TT. TT doesn't know the PG position well enough yet. JRS probably knows the PG position better than anyone on the team except for Fred and Ron.
    Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
    At this point, I'd trust JRS at PG more than TT. And I don't even know if I'd call it close.
    I've been tempted over the last week to start a new thread regarding next year's PG situation/possibilities, but I thought I'd wait until the season ended. I think it would make for an interesting discussion or just good shootin' the sh*t as the position is very wide open at this time. Frankamp, Shamet, Taylor, Simon, Smith, and Reaves (did I miss anybody). Everybody has +s and -s at this time. So, unless someone else just can't wait, I'll save starting a thread for hopefully several weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
      If coach would have started JRS over Ty in Orlando, then who knows the outcome of USC game
      As bad as Ty's shooting was in Orlando (and the high number of shots), in 60 minutes of play, he did have 7 assists, 3 TO, 3 steals, and 5 fouls which was not bad for a raw freshmen against USC, Alabama, and Iowa. JRS did play 18 minutes going 1-4, 2 assists, 1 TO, 2 steals, and 3 fouls.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
        I've been tempted over the last week to start a new thread regarding next year's PG situation/possibilities, but I thought I'd wait until the season ended. I think it would make for an interesting discussion or just good shootin' the sh*t as the position is very wide open at this time. Frankamp, Shamet, Taylor, Simon, Smith, and Reaves (did I miss anybody). Everybody has +s and -s at this time. So, unless someone else just can't wait, I'll save starting a thread for hopefully several weeks.
        Peyton Allen ??
        From the road I listen (Tune In radio) at home I watch ( season Ticks )

Comment

Originally posted by OTR Shockfan View Post
          Peyton Allen ??
          Allen may very well start, but not at the point.

Comment

then who on earth do you have for a PG next year?

Don't even try Frankamp. If he were being groomed to be a PG, he would have had some minutes at the position this year. He was behind JRS in minutes at PG. Moving Baker to PG to rest Fred put a potential AA out of position. If playing Baker out of position instead of using Frankamp at PG (after a year in the program) was the best plan, then Frankamp seems to have shown little ability to play that position in a year of practices.

Shamet is another option, but he hasn't played a minute at that position and has had probably no practice time at PG.

Smith is another option, but he's a JuCo who doesn't know the system. Even the best JuCo PG's have taken half a season or even a year to get up to speed.

If Taylor gets run, then every PG Marshall has signed, since FVV, has been released from the program.
            CF doesn't need to be groomed to play point guard. He could run the team just fine in our next game.

He is being groomed to be a more complete player.

We have evidence that the score goes in the right direction when he initiates the offense.

I also thin Ron gets to play the one for two reasons. 1) he always has 2) HCGM really wants to see him play at the highest level

Comment

I guess I think that if TT was good enough TALENT WISE to start three games in Orlando over JRS, who knew the system better, there is redeemable stuff there.

Comment

Originally posted by proshox View Post
                CF doesn't need to be groomed to play point guard. He could run the team just fine in our next game.

He is being groomed to be a more complete player.

We have evidence that the score goes in the right direction when he initiates the offense.

I also thin Ron gets to play the one for two reasons. 1) he always has 2) HCGM really wants to see him play at the highest level
                Is there objective evidence or is this anecdotal "evidence"?
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

As of right now, I too believe that CF is the odds on favorite to play point next year. He has
                  demonstrated the ball handling skills, unselfishness, shot creation skills for himself and others,
                  and the mental capability. Having said that I think you will see multiple players even ones in
                  the game at the same time, revolving at the point. It will be point by committee now and then
                  unless a newcomer steps in and takes command. If that doesn't happen JRS will see more
                  minutes next year. He is better than most people give him credit for. LS starts at the two guard
                  and PA will be a serious contender for small forward if ZB doesn't improve his outside shooting.
                  MM will play some three and four. Willis will challange RK and MM at the four and probably play
                  some five, as well. Will be excited to see if DS and AR can make an impact next year or if TT can
                  suddenly acquire some PG instincts.

Comment

Ty Taylor and JRS both have more minutes this season at PG than Conner.

Comment

They both know the system.........who is your leading candidate for PG next season and why?

Comment

I still believe a significant factor in CF's transfer is the fact that at KU he wasn't going to develop into a point; he saw that opportunity at WSU. He recognizes his limitations in making it to the next level as a 2; primarily he's too small. So, point is his future. I think he's prob the leading candidate, but not a shoo-in, for starting point next year. He'll never be Korver in the NBA; he has a chance to be a Steve Blake.

Comment

I sure as hell hope the "system" changes next year.
                          The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                            I sure as hell hope the "system" changes next year.
                            This is a tough crowd to please, especially after a loss. This system has won us an average of 28-29 games during the past four years. I think that we should leave these decisions to others like our future HOF coach. He may not be perfect but he's pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                              This is a tough crowd to please, especially after a loss. This system has won us an average of 28-29 games during the past four years. I think that we should leave these decisions to others like our future HOF coach. He may not be perfect but he's pretty good.
                              I don't believe it is the system as much as adapting, whether it is to personnel or how other teams have adapted to what we've been doing. This year we didn't have an Armstead and FVV at PG, we didn't have a Cle, and we didn't have a Tekele. What worked with them on the team may not work for others.

Comment

Here's my take on Taylor. He was a true freshman, expected to get a few back up minutes to FVV, and was thrown into the fire when Fred was injured, at the toughest position to learn on the court. If you look at his stats, other than not knocking down shots, they were pretty good. His defense looked pretty respectable for a freshman. This kid has knocked down shots his whole life. I do believe adjusting to the shooting background of a big arena takes time. Anyone who's ever played in a large arena for the first time will tell you that it is an adjustment, especially in terms of depth perception. His shot will come around, but only with playing time.

As far as shooting a lot, I can't say I've seen him take many bad shots. He is so quick and gets open looks with such ease, his shots are usually open shots. What I suspect bothers Marshall is the fact that a lot of those shots come early in the shot clock. When a coach builds a team around ball movement, and wearing down defenses, sometimes they don't necessarily consider every open shot a good shot. I also have to believe Marshall has some personal vendetta against Taylor. Maybe it is because of the losses with him in there while FVV was injured. How else can you explain his not getting a minutes on team that often struggles to score? It's not like Frankamp and EW are shooting lights out or putting up impressive numbers in other aspects of the game. You won't convince me Taylor couldn't be, overall, more productive than some of the guys getting minutes.

I still believe TT is going to be a star somewhere, maybe not at WSU, but when he gets on the court his athleticism is unmistakable. It's like watching one player on fast forward and everyone else at regular speed. As far as basketball IQ, have you heard the kid speak? I don't think basketball IQ is his problem at all. I just think maybe his style of play isn't a great fit with Marshall's system. I do know this. I would love to see him get playing time with FVV on the floor with him. The two point guard offense has been very effective at KU this season. Also, he's the one guard that hasn't really had the benefit of playing with FVV (a guy who makes others better).

Comment

Working...
                                X