Coach Marshall Advisory Committee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ol skool View Post
    That 5th year of eligibility only comes into play if you redshirted one of the previous 4 years
    Oh, I know the rule. I just had no idea what the hell he was trying to say!

TC did enough damage to ISUr. He will haunt their dreams forever!
    The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
      Got it. Yes, I was thinking of Gibbs, and wasn't aware Grady took a redshirt year. But I guess it makes sense with his injuries.

Thanks. Its Friday. My brain starts to ramble a bit.
      To your credit, Gibbs was in college for damn near a decade.
      The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
        To your credit, Gibbs was in college for damn near a decade.
        I was beginning to think his retirement would come before his graduation.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
          Everyone gets five years to play four years of basketball. The graduate transfer rule means if you graduate in four years, you are allowed to start your fifth year at a new school without sitting out. No one is allowed to play five years of basketball.
          How much eligibility if you play a year, go to juco for two, and then return? Don't you get two more years, thus totaling 5?

Comment

Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
            How much eligibility if you play a year, go to juco for two, and then return? Don't you get two more years, thus totaling 5?
            Nope.

You would have to redshirt 1 of those years.
            "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
            -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
              Nope.

You would have to redshirt 1 of those years.
              I thought going the JUCO route meant you didn't have to redshirt. Didn't Rian Holland use that approach this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                I thought going the JUCO route meant you didn't have to redshirt. Didn't Rian Holland use that approach this year?
                You don't have to sit out a year to transfer down divisions or to JUCO. It doesn't net you a bonus year, though. If you redshirt year 1 in Division 1, play year 2, transfer to Juco for year 3, and then play D1 for years 4 and 5, you never had to sit out but you still only played four years.

Comment

Going to JUCO doesn't require a sit-out year, but each year played in JUCO is a year of eligibility used. 1 in D1, then 2 in JUCO, then 1 in D1 would be an odd 4 year career, but indeed would max out all eligibility in 4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                    You don't have to sit out a year to transfer down divisions or to JUCO. It doesn't net you a bonus year, though. If you redshirt year 1 in Division 1, play year 2, transfer to Juco for year 3, and then play D1 for years 4 and 5, you never had to sit out but you still only played four years.
                    I misread the original message, I didn't notice the TWO years in JUCO in the scenario.

Comment

• Anyone who didn't know the 5 yrs. to play 4 rule should excuse yourself from the Gregg Marshall advisory committee.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                        Anyone who didn't know the 5 yrs. to play 4 rule should excuse yourself from the Gregg Marshall advisory committee.
                        HEY! Lack of knowledge should NOT cause the inability to give advice! At least, that never mattered before... ;-)

Comment

Anyone who didn't know the 5 yrs. to play 4 rule should excuse yourself from the Gregg Marshall advisory committee.
                          Ok; I guess I'll just confine myself to calling in to the Coach's show... :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                            Ok; I guess I'll just confine myself to calling in to the Coach's show... :-)
                            You can be an honorary member. :)

Comment

But I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, dammit!!
                              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shoxfan11 View Post
                                To be fair, it's easy to understand ShockerPrez's confusion. Nate Funk and Grant Gibbs combined for about 20 years of college basketball, so it was odd to see Tekele leave us so soon.
                                Please don't mention Nate Funk again. His spin move in the paint was a killer for both the Shocker players and my mental well being.

The Shockers had virtually no answer for it.

Gibbs was just a junk player. You know the kind. The old man at the Y, who keeps kicking your sweet @ss with clever, now you see it, now you don't junk moves. And the ball keeps going in the hole.
                                "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Working...
                                X