2016 Valley All-Conference Teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
    Watch Gregg get screwed with the COY award. Granted, this is just one voter, but the SIU beat writer gave his votes for COY...and not one of them was for 3G...and this guy couldn't vote for SIU guys either, so Barry wasn't even one of his votes.

http://thesouthern.com/sports/colleg...fc0450d24.html
    But Gregg only won the conference by FOUR games .. that's it! You can't reward mediocrity in this league.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
      McDuffie is the only Freshman on the newcomer team. Gotta think he's locked up Freshman of the year.
      It will be nothing less than a joke if he doesn't win FOY.

...which is why I'm worried he won't win.
      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by IdahoShocker View Post
        Something that jumps out is the lack of players from the Redbirds. For the team with the best athletes 1-12, they should have many more players on here. Better do a re-count.
        I laughed.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Watch Gregg get screwed with the COY award. Granted, this is just one voter, but the SIU beat writer gave his votes for COY...and not one of them was for 3G...and this guy couldn't vote for SIU guys either, so Barry wasn't even one of his votes.

Ben Jacobson? I didn't know North Carolina and Iowa State had joined the Valley. Oh, well -- that's what happens when you keep trending down in wins all the way to a mere 16-2, and not only that but also have the temerity to lose one at home.

Comment

I'd like to hear his reasoning for Jacobson as Coach of the Year, weren't they picked to finish 2nd or 3rd in conference too, so they performed worse than expectations. I'd go:

1st: Marshall-best coach in the league, shockers won conference by 4 games
            2nd: Muller-Dealing with the loss of all conference player Lynch as well as off the court tragedy (death of his best friend/associate head coach Torrey Ward) and finished tied for 2nd whereas picked to finish 4th in preseason
            3rd: Hinson-Team Performed much better than everyone thought, picked to finish 9th i believe in the preseason. Has best quotes and animations as well lol

Comment

I guess the 2 beatings we administered the Ugly Dawgs weren't enough to impress him.

Comment

Originally posted by Rollbird5 View Post
                I'd like to hear his reasoning for Jacobson as Coach of the Year, weren't they picked to finish 2nd or 3rd in conference too, so they performed worse than expectations. I'd go:

1st: Marshall-best coach in the league, shockers won conference by 4 games
                2nd: Muller-Dealing with the loss of all conference player Lynch as well as off the court tragedy (death of his best friend/associate head coach Torrey Ward) and finished tied for 2nd whereas picked to finish 4th in preseason
                3rd: Hinson-Team Performed much better than everyone thought, picked to finish 9th i believe in the preseason. Has best quotes and animations as well lol
                Excellent analysis.

Comment

That seems like some sore butthurtness from a "media" member. SIU fans don't even like the guy because he's too much of a homer.

Carbondale, Illinois "media" for ya.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by RussDaBus View Post
                    Bradley's coach was his 3rd pick for coach of the year!!! What the heck??? Dude is crazy!
                    That's not crazy. That's just dumb. Or carrying out an agenda. Perhaps 3.3G snubbed an interview request somewhere along the way or something.
                    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by IdahoShocker View Post
                      Something that jumps out is the lack of players from the Redbirds. For the team with the best athletes 1-12, they should have many more players on here. Better do a re-count.
                      Maybe the act of constantly locking arms and grabbing jerseys and arms is a disqualifier for all but one Valley coach/reporters.
                      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                        First Team
                        Ron Baker, Wichita State, Sr.
                        D.J. Balentine, Evansville, Sr.
                        Anthony Beane, Southern Illinois, Sr.
                        Egidijus Mockevicius, Evansville, Sr.
                        Fred VanVleet, Wichita State, Sr.

Second Team
                        DeVaughn Akoon-Purcell, Illinois State, Sr.
                        Devonte Brown, Indiana State, Sr.
                        Montel James, Loyola, Sr.
                        Brenton Scott, Indiana State, Sophomore
                        Wes Washpun, UNI, Sr.

Honorable-Mention Selections
                        Matt Bohannon, UNI, Sr.
                        Paris Lee, Illinois State, Jr.
                        MiKyle McIntosh, Illinois State, So.
                        Dequon Miller, Missouri State, Jr.
                        Jeremy Morgan, UNI, Jr.
                        Reed Timmer, Drake, So.

All-Newcomer Team
                        Dequon Miller, Missouri State, Jr.
                        Anton Grady, Wichita State, Sr.
                        Mike Rodriguez, Southern Illinois, Jr.
                        Markis McDuffie, Wichita State, Fr.
                        Everett Clemons, Indiana State, Jr.

All-Freshman Team
                        Markis McDuffie, Wichita State
                        Obediah Church, Missouri State
                        Dwayne Lautier-Ogunleye, Bradley
                        Jarred Dixon, Missouri State
                        Luuk van Bree, Bradley

All-Defensive Team
                        Ron Baker, Wichita State, Sr.
                        Egidijus Mockevicius, Evansville, Sr.
                        Jeremy Morgan, UNI, Jr.
                        Fred VanVleet, Wichita State, Sr.
                        Paris Lee, Illinois State, Jr.
                        I'll guess that the specialty lists are in the order of votes received. So I'll pick Miller NOY, McDuffie FOY and Baker DPOY. I'll further guess that they just reversed the order on the 1st team, so I'll take FVV over Mock as MVC POY.

Starting to feel a lot like not Marshall as COY. Which is just great. My hope is that the powers-that-be go ahead and give him his COY contract bonus anyway. If a coach has his program so far past the league that winning it by 4 games no longer wins COY, then it is acceptable to quit voting for him so long as the award is renamed after him. That is the only scenario ever that it is ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                          I'll guess that the specialty lists are in the order of votes received. So I'll pick Miller NOY, McDuffie FOY and Baker DPOY. I'll further guess that they just reversed the order on the 1st team, so I'll take FVV over Mock as MVC POY..
                          They look alphabetical to me, until you get to the All-Frosh and All-D.

Oops - All-Newcomer, too. I dunno.
                          Last edited by gdb620; March 1, 2016, 11:30 AM. Reason: mistake

Comment

Just one issue and one other comment with the teams. I would have thought Shaq would have warranted at least a mention on the All-Valley teams. Outside of "Big Mo" he was the most dominant big man in the league this year. Secondly, I would have had Brown on the all defensive team instead of Fred.

Comment

Brown is good but Fred is a big thorn in all of our opponents. He is so smart and knows how to help others by digging

Comment

Yeah Fred is a stud defender! Totally deserving!!!
                                FINAL FOURS:
                                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                                #3 - Dec. 2017
                                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                                #2 ~ March 2014
                                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
                                X