Evansville game thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by proshox View Post
    Higgins tried to get the ball to us before EU could ask for a video review. Unfortunately, our players didn't seem to understand the risk. At the time I couldn't understand why Fred allowed the team to take so much time. He knew it was off of him.
    Hanging that on Fred is beyond weak. He was hammered and didn't get the call.

As much as people think Fred turns it over a lot this year and is forcing it, consider that that play went as a turnover for Fred. He drives to the basket. Gets destroyed on a shot by a 6'10" player, and gets charged with a turnover.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      Also curious..... Perhaps @ShockRef can answer...could you review the end of game play (ku vs OU) when Mason stepped out of bounds to see if he was the first to touch it? Is any part of that play reviewable?
      I pointed out a couple of things to some homer KU fans in regards to this. The officials did not give Hield the 3 feet of clearance needed on all sides, Mason stepped out of bounds, he crossed the plane multiple times and actually made contact with Hield when he was going to throw the ball in. One old official was looking right at it and didn't make any movements. That was a pretty blatant error on their parts.

The KU fans simply said, it was a makeup call for some other prior non call, blah blah.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
        Shaq only played 14 minutes. Seems like that is his ceiling. Oh, and why they didn't whistle him for his 4th on that moving screen at the top of the key is beyond me.
        Speaking of screens, Grady is going to have to be careful with his screens. I noticed him sticking his elbows out on screens (in like a downward flexing motion). Not for sure if its legal or not, but I can sure see a hot headed ref using it as a reason to get some TV time to make a big offensive foul call.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
          Fred's leg must still be hurting him. His best defense is face to face when he can use his hands to get steals, not chasing guys all over the court. He's not fast enough for that when 100% healthy let alone on a gimpy leg.
          I agree with this. He seems to be sagging off a bit and really trying to cheat over to get a steal. He's left multiple people open for 3s or a drive that required someone else to help. He just really didn't seem to be in to the game at times.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
            That was not 50/50 call. That was blatantly obvious, as shown in another thread. It also would have been his 5th, and would have ended the game. Of course, he picked up his 6th on a giant over the back under the basket on the other end like 35 seconds later, but they seemed to miss that one as well.

It wasn't a 50/50 call, but it was a lot closer than people are admitting here. Fred clearly jumps to the side into Giddy. Now, Giddy doesn't go straight up, which he DOES have the right to do, he goes forward at Fred, and should have been called for the foul. BUT, given Fred's desire to draw contact, I know I've been one to complain about offensive players initiating contact...I don't believe it was that bad a call...especially when compared to the foul on ZB the next trip which was bloody atrocious. It's a big boy game, there's going to be contact, but that was off the charts bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by William View Post
              Pretty weak crowd tonite, Ron and Fred at different times looked frustrated trying to wave the crowd off their butts in a close game.
              Perhaps Ron should worry less about the crowd and more about getting locked into the game.

Comment

As much as people think Fred turns it over a lot this year and is forcing it, consider that that play went as a turnover for Fred. He drives to the basket. Gets destroyed on a shot by a 6'10" player, and gets charged with a turnover.
                It's been a common occurrence for him all year. Despite that, he still only had 3 "turnovers" in the game last night, a 3:1 a/t ratio and well over a 2:1 ratio on the year. He also still has a 2.94:1 ratio for his career, which is just incredible for a four year player with 500 assists.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                  It's been a common occurrence for him all year.
                  Exactly why Coach went nuts at Bradley up 20. All of a sudden, this year, Freddie is getting zero calls, and getting manhandled more than ever. It doesn't make sense, and honestly almost seems planned.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    The officiating was good last night for the most part, as it always is when Higgy's in charge.

That being said, here's a problem. Officials managing the game. John passed on Giddy's 5th when Fred went to the cup near the end of the game.

He gave the ball to WSU instead of the foul. Fred jumped into Giddy...which he had the right to do because Giddy jumped into him (I initially thought he went straight up but he didn't and clearly fouled Fred).

Now, John manages the situation....no foul on a borderline 50/50 call, ball to WSU. Ooops...go to the monitor. Over rule the managing....Aces ball. You could tell John wasn't all that happy.

What was bad was the other end of the court on the very next possession. Brown erases DJ and gets the foul...SERIOUSLY? Bert blew that HUGE. Maybe there was a TOUCH of body, but it didn't affect the shot and Brown had all ball, maybe 2 feet out of DJ's hand.

Managing the game doesn't necessarily work in that case, because you can only check who it went out of bounds on in the last...2 minutes is it? I'm not sure. But I think you have to officiate differently now in those last couple of minutes. Don't pass on a call if you think you can make it right with the OOB call.
                    This is exactly what happened!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      Fred's leg must still be hurting him. His best defense is face to face when he can use his hands to get steals, not chasing guys all over the court. He's not fast enough for that when 100% healthy let alone on a gimpy leg.
                      Fred was trying to dunk during early warm up. Not sure how much his leg is hurting.
                      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                        I agree with this. He seems to be sagging off a bit and really trying to cheat over to get a steal. He's left multiple people open for 3s or a drive that required someone else to help. He just really didn't seem to be in to the game at times.
                        Coach in the post game conference said that the scouting report had them tell Fred to play off his man to be prepared to help off ball. And he also said that was a mistake and they will fix it for next time.

So, I'd assume Fred was playing the way he was coached for the game.

Comment

• Fred is taking the ball to the basket too much and too often is ending up in no man's land. Yes, driving is a big part of his game but it has become too much of a focus.

Ron has added shots, the fades etc., to his repertoire based on what he has learned in summer camps. Unfortunately those shots are becoming the norm rather than a go to shot when needed. Late in the game he had a wide open 3, nobody within 10 feet, and he passed it off. Fortunately he got an assist because whoever it was he passed to drained it. AA's passing up wide open 3's at crunch time worries me.

I'm just getting tired of our main guys throwing up prayers, crap shots if you will, making BS passes, instead of doing what brought them to the respect they've earned. Love em to death but something is not right this year. We were fortunate to keep that home streak going last night.
                          Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Fair points, but the situation is very similar to a quarterback getting a quick snap prior to a coaches challenge in football. I would just put this away for future reference in similar situations so that it doesn't happen again.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                              Fred is taking the ball to the basket too much and too often is ending up in no man's land. Yes, driving is a big part of his game but it has become too much of a focus.

Ron has added shots, the fades etc., to his repertoire based on what he has learned in summer camps. Unfortunately those shots are becoming the norm rather than a go to shot when needed. Late in the game he had a wide open 3, nobody within 10 feet, and he passed it off. Fortunately he got an assist because whoever it was he passed to drained it. AA's passing up wide open 3's at crunch time worries me.
                              Ron wasn't hitting shots (hurt? confidence? whatever?). He passed up the open three, drove the lane, collapsed the entire D, dished back to Fred (who was now even more open *and* hitting 3's), who drained the 3. Very smart play.

I don't know about the drives any more with the refs. It looks to me like they are saying to Fred and Ron: "You are the AAs here. Make those shots through the foul or avoid all contact." Which means they need to be able to take a hammer and still score or take a hammer and dish back out.

Comment

• Funny thing, normally I think our crowd could be much better, when I am there. However, having had to watch it at home for one of the rare times, it still translated pretty well.

Even though I will say, Fred got burnt late into the game, which led to an Evan foul, because he was trying to pump the crowd up.

Comment

Working...
                                X