Nevada Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by xazshox View Post
    I guess some of you missed the point about Tyrone Taylor missing last night due to some kind of a minor injury per 3G in his post game radio interview. 3G ahas previously said that Tyrone wants to be great someday. In fact, he also said he has shown more desire to become great than anyone else except for Fred Van Vleet & Ron Baker.

Another point to be made concerns the inconsistent officiating: Fred is quoted in the paper today that WSU played the same normal game last night that they have all season.
    I believe it was mentioned multiple times that he was out with a shoulder injury. He's expecting to play against NMSU

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      Could just be my imagination but I thought Fred was the closest to 100% that we've seen since his injury.

Anton's quick recovery from his spinal concussion has been remarkable and very gratifying. He certainly looks like he is close to fully recovered.

The Shaq/Anton duo at the 5 spot was extremely solid last night. 21 points (8-10 from the field), 11 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 turnover, 1 block and 1 steal in 33 combined minutes is a heckuva line. That will do very nicely going forward if they can keep that going.
      I agree. IIRC, Anton and Shaq were in the game at the same time, which would also be a good thing, because it gives us more bulk and size on the inside. Having two bigs in the game at the same time helps both of them a lot more.

EW hustled his butt off and shot much better. He drove the ball to the basket once and got fouled. I'd like to see him do more of that. If he could do that more, it would make the 'D' collapse inside on him and open up more opportunities for perimeter shots.

The game would have been much closer had we not had all the FT's, so I'm not sure that this game is a trend-setter. We will have to see how well we play on the road in Valley games to get that one figured out. Roles are still in flux, but we looked much better last night.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
        I agree. IIRC, Anton and Shaq were in the game at the same time, which would also be a good thing, because it gives us more bulk and size on the inside. Having two bigs in the game at the same time helps both of them a lot more.

EW hustled his butt off and shot much better. He drove the ball to the basket once and got fouled. I'd like to see him do more of that. If he could do that more, it would make the 'D' collapse inside on him and open up more opportunities for perimeter shots.

The game would have been much closer had we not had all the FT's, so I'm not sure that this game is a trend-setter. We will have to see how well we play on the road in Valley games to get that one figured out. Roles are still in flux, but we looked much better last night.
        While the last statement has truth to it, I'm not sure that the lead wouldn't have been just as big if they just didn't hack us every time we drove. Might have been able to finish shots.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Could just be my imagination but I thought Fred was the closest to 100% that we've seen since his injury.

Anton's quick recovery from his spinal concussion has been remarkable and very gratifying. He certainly looks like he is close to fully recovered.

The Shaq/Anton duo at the 5 spot was extremely solid last night. 21 points (8-10 from the field), 11 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 turnover, 1 block and 1 steal in 33 combined minutes is a heckuva line. That will do very nicely going forward if they can keep that going.
          I was at the game this may not have been seen on TV. Anton was checking into the game and was talking to one of the coach's , he turned to check in and almost went head first into the floor over two of our players.#Pleaselookfirstthengo .

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXJOCK View Post
            I was at the game this may not have been seen on TV. Anton was checking into the game and was talking to one of the coach's , he turned to check in and almost went head first into the floor over two of our players.#Pleaselookfirstthengo .
            I saw that at the game as well. Fortunately, it turned out to be comical and not tragic. The really funny part of that was 3G's reaction. I guess it did show that Anton has his balance back.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXJOCK View Post
              I saw that too. His motor was definitely set at 110% last night.

Comment

• Originally posted by Perezident View Post
                This!!

Next season will be a long one if D. Smith isn't able to step up. Granted, we have been very spoiled of late, not expecting anyone to fill Fred's shoes. That said, I find our lack of PG depth surprising.
                A 1-2 combo of CF and LS will be very good. CF had to guard the point guard spot. Many times this year he is getting matched up with big 2s and 3s.

Comment

• Left the game last night happy, but wondering why HCGM did not try and get Conner some work at the point in the last 10 minutes of that game last night. To me he still appears to have some rust to knock off and could have used the work.

Comment

• Not telling HCGM how to do his job, so leave everyone leave that alone.

With the big lead we had, I was hoping to see CF run the point with our future, minus Taylor/Shamet due to injury. Some combination of Hamilton, Morris (I'd let him take the rest of the night off), Kelly, Brown, McDuffie. Maybe, 1 Hamilton, 2 Kelly, 3 McDuffie, 4 Brown, and 1 Frankamp. Would like to see what CF could do without seniors, but with the most athletic underclassmen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Heiny View Post
                      Left the game last night happy, but wondering why HCGM did not try and get Conner some work at the point in the last 10 minutes of that game last night. To me he still appears to have some rust to knock off and could have used the work.
                      Typing while you were posting. Mentioned this to @_kai_: last night at the game.

Comment

• My thoughts from section 124.

- Grady and Shaq need to be our primary centers getting most of the minutes. Unless the opponent has a lottery pick 7' we should see limited minutes from Nurger and Wamu.
                        - We need to let our centers have more opportunity to work with their back to the basket on isolation plays. Shaq has shown the ability to hit cutters and both can pass effectively out of double teams. We've got enough shooters to really make teams pay on the double. The pick and roll wasn't working against SH and we barely gave the 5 spot very many opportunities. Shaq and Grady work hard to get position and present a big target. We did well last night on this, need to keep it up.
                        - a little concerned that CF isn't getting any minutes at point, but was glad we were getting our primary rotation players out early in the 2nd half.
                        - This game would not have been closer without the foul calls. Nevada was slow to get back on D and Fred was picking them apart. They were scoring with our bench in the game late. And hacking a lot because they were frustrated. But we had their number from that initial run in the 2nd half and it was over from there.
                        - What happened to Kelly? He looks lost out there and searching for his confidence.
                        - We don't have another Fred in the wings but i think enough pieces are there to stay top 25 and make another run at a Valley title.
                        You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                          My thoughts from section 124.

- Grady and Shaq need to be our primary centers getting most of the minutes. Unless the opponent has a lottery pick 7' we should see limited minutes from Nurger and Wamu.
                          - We need to let our centers have more opportunity to work with their back to the basket on isolation plays. Shaq has shown the ability to hit cutters and both can pass effectively out of double teams. We've got enough shooters to really make teams pay on the double. The pick and roll wasn't working against SH and we barely gave the 5 spot very many opportunities. Shaq and Grady work hard to get position and present a big target. We did well last night on this, need to keep it up.
                          - a little concerned that CF isn't getting any minutes at point, but was glad we were getting our primary rotation players out early in the 2nd half.
                          - This game would not have been closer without the foul calls. Nevada was slow to get back on D and Fred was picking them apart. They were scoring with our bench in the game late. And hacking a lot because they were frustrated. But we had their number from that initial run in the 2nd half and it was over from there.
                          - What happened to Kelly? He looks lost out there and searching for his confidence.
                          - We don't have another Fred in the wings but i think enough pieces are there to stay top 25 and make another run at a Valley title.
                          Concerned that FVV needed to play 28 minutes in a 30 point win, his injury aside.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                            Concerned that FVV needed to play 28 minutes in a 30 point win, his injury aside.
                            Agree, but if we can't trust CF at point yet, and Taylor is injured, then that leaves Baker or Fred.
                            You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• Yeah, looked like JR and Ron both got more minutes at the point than CF

Comment

• Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                                My thoughts from section 124.

Totally agree with this. Also think they both ought to be on the court at the same time for stretches. They really are a potent combo together inside.

Comment

Working...
                                X