Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baker and VanVleet Invited to Team USA Tryouts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
    "I would like our strength to be that we can defend in a VARIETY of ways and at the same time attack you on the offensive end with a VARIETY of different looks." - Mark Few

Kind of confirms my thoughts that Fred was left out because he can only play one position.
    Keen observation my friend. That's the most likely reason.
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Hmmm. Hypothetically if you could have three Rons playing at the 1, 2, and 3 vs three Freds at the 1, 2 and 3; for me it still isn't clear who would win. I actually think the Freds might.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
        Hmmm. Hypothetically if you could have three Rons playing at the 1, 2, and 3 vs three Freds at the 1, 2 and 3; for me it still isn't clear who would win. I actually think the Freds might.
        That's an interesting question. I wonder who wins when they play one-on-one.

Comment

• Bummed for Fred, he deserves to be there. Whether it would adversely affect this season I wanted him to have the opportunity, too. So did he really tweet "thankful" (for the opportunity to try out, I assume) after he was cut? Fred takes classy to a new level, I just love rooting for these guys! :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            Hmmm. Hypothetically if you could have three Rons playing at the 1, 2, and 3 vs three Freds at the 1, 2 and 3; for me it still isn't clear who would win. I actually think the Freds might.
            Holy crap...I could watch that game for hours. And, I'm of the opinion that if they played ten times, unless one guy was having a bad day, it would be no worse than 6-4 one way or the other, and 5-5 most days.
            "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Huge for the university, huge for Ron and his family and his hometown. He gets to play for TEAM USA!!! How nuts is that?
              ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                "I would like our strength to be that we can defend in a VARIETY of ways and at the same time attack you on the offensive end with a VARIETY of different looks." - Mark Few
                Artfully stated and most likely the subject of most of the coaches evaluation discussion. However, you can't tell me that the fact that there were two Shockers (no other team could claim that) even though possibly unspoken entered their mind at some point. I'm sure that a fine line (talent wise) existed from player to player. we know that Fred just WINS but it probably takes more than one week to make that a part of the evaluative discussion.

Comment

• Too much (understandable) frustration about FVV not making it, not nearly enough JOY about Ron making it.

Ron's career trajectory has just been incredible. Just a few years ago he was an unheralded walk-on with almost no scholarship offers. Fast forward a few short years and he's the leading scorer on a national championship caliber team, representing the United States of America, heading into an almost guaranteed NBA draft selection.

Now hopefully he's starting.
                  Originally posted by BleacherReport
                  Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• I just went and looked, and as far as I can tell, there were 4 guys 30 or older invited to try out. All 4 of them made the team, along with one 25 year old that plays professionally in Russia. All 5 professionals were selected to play, probably meaning there were actually only 7 spots to be fought for. Huge congratulations to Ron on earning one of those 7 spots, and to Fred for being deserving of one, regardless if he was selected or not.
                    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Originally posted by TheYeti
                      After sleeping on it, it's all good. Still if this serves as extra motivation for Fred, like he really needs extra motivation, so be it. November can't get here fast enough for me! (I still hope Fred and the Shox get a chance to get a piece of Few, Turgeon, Boeheim, and Boyle)
                      As much as I would love for Fred to get the attention he truly deserves, I feel like this really is the best possible scenario for WSU in general. Ron gets the exposure on an international level, while Fred gets to stay home and groom the newcomer for a national title run along with staying rested up. As good as Ron is, If I had to choose one to stay on the floor at all times, it would be Fred. He's our leader.

Fred will get his exposure in March ... and April this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                        I just went and looked, and as far as I can tell, there were 4 guys 30 or older invited to try out. All 4 of them made the team, along with one 25 year old that plays professionally in Russia. All 5 professionals were selected to play, probably meaning there were actually only 7 spots to be fought for. Huge congratulations to Ron on earning one of those 7 spots, and to Fred for being deserving of one, regardless if he was selected or not.
                        Another thing to point out about all 5 professionals is that they have much more experience playing international rules and opponents.
                        ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                          Another thing to point out about all 5 professionals is that they have much more experience playing international rules and opponents.
                          And that's important. Ron will get his minutes. Be tough to leapfrog Langford and Valentine to start though.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                            Artfully stated and most likely the subject of most of the coaches evaluation discussion. However, you can't tell me that the fact that there were two Shockers (no other team could claim that) even though possibly unspoken entered their mind at some point. I'm sure that a fine line (talent wise) existed from player to player. we know that Fred just WINS but it probably takes more than one week to make that a part of the evaluative discussion.
                            I don't think the fact that there were two shockers had ANYTHING to do with it. 2 of the coaches making the choices have many years coaching at WSU. One of the PG chosen over Fred is 30 and has played in the NBA. The other is a McDonald's all American who is also a great guard. Both of them are also bigger than Fred. We are all upset Fred didn't make it, but it's it is not unreasonable why he didn't.

Comment

• If you want to argue Romelo Trimble was helped out making the team because his coach was one of the main assistants, I see that and agree that was a factor. Trimble is a tremendous pg for a team that will be ranked higher than WSU, so it's not like it's complete BS he made it over Fred.

Comment

• Do international rules allow zone defenses? Just thinking that zones minimize Fred's on-ball defensive effectiveness and his lack of height might be perceived as more of a weakness in a zone.
                                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                                ---------------------------------------
                                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                                X