Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baker and VanVleet Invited to Team USA Tryouts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
    Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    OMG! Mark Turgeon didn't make the cut!
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• It still chaps my ass Fred isn't on the team, but seeing a kid from Scott City, who started his career walking on at WSU, and is now wearing the red, white and blue for his and our country is pretty freaking cool.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        It still chaps my ass Fred isn't on the team, but seeing a kid from Scott City, who started his career walking on at WSU, and is now wearing the red, white and blue for his and our country is pretty freaking cool.
        I agree 100% with this statement. What a great story for him, his family, hometown, university. My unabashed optimism still thinks leading the Shockers to the National Championship could lead to a position for both guys on next years Olympic team (dream big).
        "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          It still chaps my ass Fred isn't on the team, but seeing a kid from Scott City, who started his career walking on at WSU, and is now wearing the red, white and blue for his and our country is pretty freaking cool.
          It sure is!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Ahh... My hometown newspaper... Looking forward to seeing Ramon "El Moncho" in town and watching some of the scrimmages against Louisville

Comment

• was just about to say former Wichita State forward Ramon Clemente, who now plays in Argentina will play for Puerto Rico vs ron baker and team usa

Comment

• Maybe they just couldn't bring themselves into having two Shockers on the team. Anyway great job Ron and as far as Fred, it was an honor just to be invited. Can't wait for the real season to start....

Comment

• Game times and other info here. http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...ches-time-date

Matchup with Ramon on Wednesday!

Comment

• http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...e27955456.html Good article with schedule
                    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
                      If they really wanted to win, they would have had a PG who wins against all odds on their team. FVV has pwned PG's at any level whenever he's faced them.

One big clue about why FVV isn't on the team was in that article. Guarding the 3-point shot is critical in the international game. Getting steals on drives, cutting off drives, etc. isn't significant, and that's where FVV's D is best.

At 6'1", it's tough for FVV to defend a 3 put up by a taller player. Taller wings just shoot over the top of shorter defenders. That was first brought to my attention (as I recall) by Turgeon about Braeuer. Matt just wasn't tall enough or athletic enough to defend jump shots by taller wings, so opponents would run screens to put a taller wing on Brauer and then shoot over any D Braeuer had.

Frankamp is going to deal with the same issue. No matter what position Frankamp is playing on offense, on D, opponents are going to try to isolate a 6'3" or taller perimeter player on Frankamp and shoot over the top of him.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• This article certainly gives more perspective as to the selection process the coaches more than likely used in determining the overall makeup of the team. I still believe FVV is the best point guard in the country at the NCAA level but based on the style of play and type of players they'll be up against, I can understand why Few made the tough decision to leave Fred off the team. And you know it was a tough decision.

Looking forward to watching some ball tonight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                          One big clue about why FVV isn't on the team was in that article. Guarding the 3-point shot is critical in the international game. Getting steals on drives, cutting off drives, etc. isn't significant, and that's where FVV's D is best.
                          Got to love it when a coach's game plan is to sacrifice superior firepower in order to be able to defend against other teams' _potential_ strengths.
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                            Got to love it when a coach's game plan is to sacrifice superior firepower in order to be able to defend against other teams' _potential_ strengths.
                            Fred's game is not easily appreciated in a three-day competition. Fred plays great on-ball defense on the perimeter, but can get beat one-on-one if he doesn't have help behind him. Fred plays very good "team defense" as well, but that is difficult to recognize in the selection process. Offensively, Fred manages a "team" better than anyone, but again, this does not reveal itself in the selection process atmosphere. Against the players selected, Fred is going to have difficulty stopping their shot, because they can, will and do throw the ball up from anywhere. Now, if you take into account whether the ball goes in, or whether they even get the ball for Fred to guard them, that is where Fred's game is appreciated.
                            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                            ---------------------------------------
                            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                            X