Non-Conference Schedule needs more.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShocktheHawks View Post
    I think I died laughin. I am from Wichita. Headed there for the weekend, visit the folks. It's a nice town don't get me wrong, but I got some mean looks for wearing the WSU jersey to Allen after we downed UNI for College Game Day.
    That's the spirit! Glad you got a good laugh...and even "glader" you went to allen dawning the SHOCKERS shirt!!! Keep doing that!!!
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

No disrespect but we don't need KU. We beat them on national TV, so we have nothing to prove. They are the ones with something to prove.

Comment

Originally posted by Zardoz View Post
        No disrespect but we don't need KU. We beat them on national TV, so we have nothing to prove. They are the ones with something to prove.
        I hear ya. That is strictly from a fan perspective. I still think it helps WSU to play them. That is a WSU RPI perspective. I understand though. We did relly get em' good. I found the whole thing on youtube. Is it wrong that I still laugh? I was hoping for more crying 8 yr olds.

Comment

I still think it helps WSU to play them. That is a WSU RPI perspective.
          WSU has had an average RPI of 13.5 the last 4 years, never lower than 18. The KenPom numbers are even better(avg 11.25, low 17). That doesn't exactly scream "needs RPI help."

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
            WSU has had an average RPI of 13.5 the last 4 years, never lower than 18. The KenPom numbers are even better(avg 11.25, low 17). That doesn't exactly scream "needs RPI help."
            I had the same thought, but the SOS could use some help. Although even if we played the entire ACC in out of conference action I'm sure the Valley could still drag it down.
            You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Maybe this is the bizzarro year where our soft games turn out to be great wins and the 'good' teams on the schedule don't end up sucking.
              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Question: What does WSU's RPI have to do with WSU's NCAA chances or seeding?

Answer: Nothing.

The RPI of our opponents, and whether we won or lost, does matter.

I just thought that point needed clarifying in this discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                  You are absolutly right. Another point is that we can't seriously move up in the BBall world until we start playing teams up on our level. That's just a ranking, greatness meter argument. I would love to see us get two ACC teams on the NONCON. But we are still in the building process. I don't know how far away a new conference might be, but if our goal is to become a real "Powerhouse," we will eventually have to see changes in our conference. So noncon is simething we can control while we wait for our conference o rise to the occassion(or leave). I don't think the MVC is cupcakes, but if we wanna climb the ladder anymore, we need to schedule bigger games. Not too many, but a few.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

That is true, and I am not denying it. Should we schedule Temple. I will say Tulsa did wonders for us. Thanks Utah. If we end up playing ND in our tournamnent, that would be good.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

This is an argument made by the media increasingly the past few seasons.

If you follow the math it makes zero sense. Either RPI is indicative of team strength or it isn't. If we can judge the quality of your opponents based on their RPI, we can just as accurately judge the quality of your team based on your RPI.

Comment

You are absolutly right. Another point is that we can't seriously move up in the BBall world until we start playing teams up on our level. That's just a ranking, greatness meter argument. I would love to see us get two ACC teams on the NONCON. But we are still in the building process. I don't know how far away a new conference might be, but if our goal is to become a real "Powerhouse," we will eventually have to see changes in our conference. So noncon is simething we can control while we wait for our conference o rise to the occassion(or leave). I don't think the MVC is cupcakes, but if we wanna climb the ladder anymore, we need to schedule bigger games. Not too many, but a few.
                        No, you don't get it.

For the umpteenth time, scheduling is a two-way street. We aren't gonna be sacrificial lambs that need to be bought either. We aren't in that position anymore. If you wanna complain about scheduling, don't blame it on the WSU end.

I dunno how many games we've scheduled decent named schools only to watch them flop the year we play them (Memphis, Seton Hall, Alabama). All of those were preseason NCAA teams last year. One of them was even ranked for a short while. Now, is that WSU's fault that all of those teams tanked? Nope.

Either you're painfully ignorant to all of this, which I guess is possible, or you're a bored Lawrencian trolling the interwebz.
                        Last edited by ShockerFever; April 22, 2015, 04:37 PM.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                          I dunno how many games we've scheduled decent named schools only to watch them flop the year we play them (Memphis, Seton Hall, Alabama). All of those were preseason NCAA teams last year. One of them was eve ranked for a short while. Now, is that WSU's fault that all of those teams tanked? Nope.
                          Not to mention a St Louis team that was put on the schedule a couple years ago as a top-25 team and a tournament in Hawaii that looked like it might be better than it ended up being.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                            Not to mention a St Louis team that was put on the schedule a couple years ago as a top-25 team and a tournament in Hawaii that looked like it might be better than it ended up being.
                            No doubt.

The effort has been made.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                              No, you don't get it.

For the umpteenth time, scheduling is a two-way street. We aren't gonna be sacrificial lambs that need to be bought either. We aren't in that position anymore. If you wanna complain about scheduling, don't blame it on the WSU end.

I dunno how many games we've scheduled decent named schools only to watch them flop the year we play them (Memphis, Seton Hall, Alabama). All of those were preseason NCAA teams last year. One of them was eve ranked for a short while. Now, is that WSU's fault that all of those teams tanked? Nope.

Either you're painfully ignorant to all of this, which I guess is possible, or you're a bored Lawrencian trolling the interwebz.
                              No you don't understand. Can you not read? Where in the message you quoted did I say it was WSU's fault? I'm just wishful thinking with my fellow fans. You just love to be mad, and still can't figure out that I am a newly educated person on how noncon scheduling works. I know that Alabama killed us a few years back I know these things. You ought ta figure me out. At least read before you qoute.

And about my Lawrence IP. Im going to school there. Get to know me, or atleast look at my posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                                Read more, post less.

Comment

Working...
                                X