The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    Not sure that at this point money is the issue. But you can tell that 3G is frustrated with the Valley becoming more and more a one-bid conference and a conference that makes earning an at-large more and more difficult. If Wichita State is unable to get into a much better conference then the chances of 3G retiring at Wichita State are, IMHO, greatly diminished. So until that happens 3G is not going to make any statements declaring that he is absolutely locked in at Wichita State. Probably won't make any such statement even if Wichita State moves to the AAC, for example, given the ephemeral nature of collete athletics these days although such a move greatly enhances the chance 3G retires as a Shocker.

I can't imagine him walking away from this particular Shocker team with the potential to be a Top 10 team. However, at the end of next year, when he will lose 7 seniors, if Wichita State is still stuck in the Valley of Dearth then things could get interesting on this thread.
    I agree with all of this.

Comment

• WHEN, we get the AAC invite, and join our new conference, Greg's scheduling problems of the past virtually, completely disappear. There are enough good teams in the AAC alone not to have to worry about scheduling. And, I would assume, other P5 schools may be a little more amenable to now playing us as well.

In addition, not that we do not have (had) some really great young men playing for us, the likelihood that it will be somewhat easier to recruit 4 and possibly 5 star recruits, certainly improves.

No one but GM and his family knows if he will stay here until he retires. But even if he does take another job, he has proven that a quality coach can be most successful at WSU. And almost certainly there will be a number of outstanding coaches who will jump at the chance to replace him here. Plus, if we are then an AAC member, so much the better for the new coach from a recruiting and scheduling matter.

Comment

• Oh goodness.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
          Conzo Martin is being rumored on the CBS basketball podcast for the Missouri job.
          They also said that if they can't get him they should look at Muller.

Comment

I can't imagine him walking away from this particular Shocker team with the potential to be a Top 10 team. However, at the end of next year, when he will lose 7 seniors, if Wichita State is still stuck in the Valley of Dearth then things could get interesting on this thread.
            With two future NBA players on his roster still?? No chance!!
            The Assman

Comment

They also said that if they can't get him they should look at Muller.
              Then Webber can come back to the Valley after KSU fires him!

Actually... That smells like an upgrade... Nevermind!
              The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                Then Webber can come back to the Valley after KSU fires him!

Actually... That smells like an upgrade... Nevermind!
                As much as certain KSU fans want him gone, I think Weber gets another year.

He has a relatively young team and a chance to make the tournament, they will likely let the new AD make the call on him next year.
                Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post
                  “When you have opportunities, if you want to listen -- and we do -- then you see how that goes,” Marshall said when asked about the Missouri job

I don't see Mark Few making statements like this. When is enough, enough? More money will buy the "Marshals" nothing they can't already buy with 3.5M per year.
                  Mark may have decided he won't leave for any reason. Marshall has made it clear he's happy here and may retire here, but doesn't want to promise that and have something cone along that he can't pass up.

Look at what happened with Roy Williams up north or even the song and dance with Turgeon here.

Marshall has always been refreshingly honest... But as mentioned above his actions speak louder...10yrs and counting with the Shockers with no shortage of suitors.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                    With two future NBA players on his roster still?? No chance!!
                    Some Shocker fans have suggested that Markis and Landry will not only be NBA players but they will not complete their 4 years at Wichita State. I think most likely they will complete their eligibility at WSU. They may or may not turn out to be NBA players. Plus it's not like Wichita State is the only team with potential NBA players on their roster.

No doubt he would not enjoy leaving players he has recruited and coached behind. But again it is not about that. To me it is all about what the Valley has become. Remember one of the big selling points when Marshall was hired, which included a sales pitch by Doug Elgin, was that the Valley was a multi-bid conference which was not that case with the Big South in which Winthrop resides. That advantage is looking more and more like it no longer exists.

Fortunately, I am sanguine about the prospects of moving on to the AAC which is a game changer.

Whatever Marshall does do career-wise he will retire a wealthy man.

Comment

• First of all, any good business person will listen to all offers. It also helps to know what he's worth when negotiating with WSU. Lastly, I think it's great press for WSU as all these "high profile" jobs open up and Marshall hasn't left. That puts the thought of WSU>"high profile job" out there. It's a win win for him.
                      I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
                      If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
                        As much as certain KSU fans want him gone, I think Weber gets another year.

He has a relatively young team and a chance to make the tournament, they will likely let the new AD make the call on him next year.
                        Might depend on whether KSU makes the NCAA Tournament or not.

Comment

Conzo Martin is being rumored on the CBS basketball podcast for the Missouri job.
                          I support this because it will probably make Mo State fans mad :)

Comment

Not sure that at this point money is the issue. But you can tell that 3G is frustrated with the Valley becoming more and more a one-bid conference and a conference that makes earning an at-large more and more difficult. If Wichita State is unable to get into a much better conference then the chances of 3G retiring at Wichita State are, IMHO, greatly diminished. So until that happens 3G is not going to make any statements declaring that he is absolutely locked in at Wichita State. Probably won't make any such statement even if Wichita State moves to the AAC, for example, given the ephemeral nature of collete athletics these days although such a move greatly enhances the chance 3G retires as a Shocker.

Add to that the fact that Maggie will finish her senior year of high school next year at the same time. Next year is the year we REALLY need to have confirmation about the AAC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                              Is it just me or has 3G seemed different the last few games?... He almost seemed grumpy. It was almost like he wasn't enjoying himself or stressed out. Could be totally off base, but from my view he has seemed... different.
                              Seasonal allergies. I am seeing this from many many friends and coworkers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                                Is it just me or has 3G seemed different the last few games?... He almost seemed grumpy. It was almost like he wasn't enjoying himself or stressed out. Could be totally off base, but from my view he has seemed... different.
                                He is just #CoachingAngry

Comment

Working...
                                X