The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
    Great, another distraction. I know, we're too good of a team to get distracted by reports of Alabama sparing no expense to lure GM. The players, having won an emotional game against Kansas, their ability to be emotionally ready to play Notre Dame will be brought into question. Playing Notre Dame in Cleveland is essentially a game in their own back yard (257 miles separates South Bend from Cleveland).

Just random thoughts that will be raised by 'experts' this week leading up to the game.
    Concern troll is concerned.
    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
    -John Wooden

Comment

Marshall wants a title at WSU. Obviously, he would. His family is happy. Same song, 50th verse.

All of us are going to be proud of him and cheer him on at his next job if he leaves. We aren't going to go all "KU fan on Roy Williams" if he leaves. We will just become secondary fans of a new school and we will go out and hire a great coach for a lot of money here at WSU. Marshall has elevated WSU to the point that his leaving won't break us immediately unless we make a terrible hire.

Comment

Here's the thing to remember. If Marshall goes to Texas, will we WSU fans not be happy to know that the team who will end the decade long title streak for KU will be Marshall's team in his first year on duty? :)

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Not sure the Alabama job would turn Coach Marshall's head or not. He will listen to them. He is smart enough not to burn any bridges and keep all his options open.

However, I believe it will take something very, very special to lure Coach Marshall away at this point in time. I have a feeling that one reason, among many, that Coach Marshall has only had 2 head coaching jobs is that it is extremely tough for him to "walk away" from the young men he has recruited and who have bought in to the Marshall Way in in many respects have become like members of his family. I think this may especially be true when it comes to Fred, Ron and Evan. If those 3 are all coming back next year it would be doubly tough on Coach Marshall to move on.

Granted you can't always control when your "dream job" will become available, assuming you aren't already at your "dream job", so who knows. However, I don't think Alabama is that job, at least not for $3 mil per year.
          If Marshall is recently on record as saying he's not interested in Indiana, or Texas...Alabama isn't even a blip on the radar.

Comment

I am not worried. Listen to HCGM's Sports Center interview and you will hear that Coach recognizing that a successful program is more than throwing money at a person. It is about a supportive institution and administration as well as a community that loves basketball. He even references the fact that not having "football" is a strength and is key to the foundation of his success at Wichita State. To me this means that Alabama or Texas for that matter is not a good fit.

Whatever happens, whenever it happens, if it happens, I wish HCGM and his wonderful family well and pray that AD Sexton brings his A-Game when selecting a replacement.

Go Shocks!
            Last edited by DUShock; March 23, 2015, 02:58 PM. Reason: added football. don't know what i was thinking!
            “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Hey all, Bama fan here. Not here to troll or flame just here to give a little insight into what we are hearing here.

Those reports you guys are reading are coming from a msg board admin as the source, so don't put much stock in them. I have friend that is closer to the situation and he says he hasn't heard any names mentioned although, he does think Bill Battle is shooting for the moon and Marshall is at the top of the list. He seems to think the number for Marshall will be $4m+/yr and total control of basketball operations. Nick Saban is also in on this because he sees the value a top flite basketball program adds to the whole A Dept.

My opinion:

Our AD, Bill Battle, is going about this hire the right way. He is gonna make offers that make anybody but the top 5-7 take a long, hard look. He is out to get his man, like Mal Moore did to get Saban. I don't think we land Marshall although, I hope we do. I love his style. If we can't get Marshall, I am hoping he goes straight Archie Miller.

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                I am not worried. Listen to HCGM's Sports Center interview and you will hear that Coach recognizing that a successful program is more than throwing money at a person. It is about a supportive institution and administration as well as a community that loves basketball. He even references the fact that not having basketball is a strength and is key to the foundation of his success at Wichita State. To me this means that Alabama or Texas for that matter is not a good fit.

Whatever happens, whenever it happens, if it happens, I wish HCGM and his wonderful family well and pray that AD Sexton brings his A-Game when selecting a replacement.

Go Shocks!
                If it ever happens my first words will be THANK YOU Gregg Marshall for all that you have done here.

Then the next two words out of my mouth will be CHRIS JANS.

I'M NOT WORRIED ABOUT THIS.
                ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Gottlieb talked about it on his show and made a good point. Money talks but no one in Alabama cares about bball till January, at Koch it's packed in November. No matter how good you are at bama you will always be second fiddle to the football program. Not the case at WSU.

Comment

99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer.
                    Take one down and pass it around, 98 bottles of beer on the wall.
                    98 bottles of beer on the wall, 98 bottles of beer.
                    Take one down and pass it around, 97 bottles of beer on the wall.
                    97 bottles of beer on the wall, 97 bottles of beer.
                    Take one down and pass it around, 96 bottles of beer on the wall.
                    96 bottles of beer on the wall, 96 bottles of beer.
                    Take one down and pass it around, 95 bottles of beer on the wall.
                    95 bottles of beer on the wall, 95 bottles of beer.
                    Take one down and pass it around, 94 bottles of beer on the wall.
                    94 bottles of beer on the wall, 94 bottles of beer.
                    Take one down and pass it around, 93 bottles of beer on the wall.
                    93 bottles of beer on the wall, 93 bottles of beer.
                    Take one down and pass it around, 92 bottles of beer on the wall.

Comment

Just lol.

Marshall would'nt coach Alabama for $10 mil.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Is Alabama still on our Non-Conf schedule next year? If so, I doubt he would go to a school in which he would have to play WSU in year 1.

Comment

3 mil a year? Three. You don't think that we're going to give him another raise up from 2 mill after this year?

To me, this is just a big "Eff Wichita State, we're Alabama", offering Marshall an extra $500k and a ham sammich to get Saban's dry cleaning in Tuscaloosa. Somebody needs to tell the Alabama AD that Marshall can get perfectly good grits down at Doo-Dah Diner.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                            Is Alabama still on our Non-Conf schedule next year? If so, I doubt he would go to a school in which he would have to play WSU in year 1.
                            No series scheduled but 'Bama is playing in Orlando during Thanksgiving week. They are the new DePaul.
                            78-65

Comment

Originally posted by Alabamafan View Post
                              Hey all, Bama fan here. Not here to troll or flame just here to give a little insight into what we are hearing here.

Those reports you guys are reading are coming from a msg board admin as the source, so don't put much stock in them. I have friend that is closer to the situation and he says he hasn't heard any names mentioned although, he does think Bill Battle is shooting for the moon and Marshall is at the top of the list. He seems to think the number for Marshall will be $4m+/yr and total control of basketball operations. Nick Saban is also in on this because he sees the value a top flite basketball program adds to the whole A Dept.

My opinion:

Our AD, Bill Battle, is going about this hire the right way. He is gonna make offers that make anybody but the top 5-7 take a long, hard look. He is out to get his man, like Mal Moore did to get Saban. I don't think we land Marshall although, I hope we do. I love his style. If we can't get Marshall, I am hoping he goes straight Archie Miller.
                              Thanks for the insight. Godspeed.
                              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Not here to troll or flame, just set facts straight. Have no idea if Coach Marshall would consider Bama. But let's get facts out in open. Outside of Kentucky, Alabama is the SEC's most tradition rich basketball program going back decades. Alabama is second in the SEC in three big categories: All time wins, all time SEC titles, and all time home attendance. At one time Bama was second in sweet 16 appearances but pretty sure not now due recent drought by current coach. Bama's arena at one time was largest in SEC, third now at bit over 15k due to arena improvements at UK and UT. FWIW, so long and good luck to your team in the NCAA, beat ND.

Comment

Working...
                                X