No announcement yet.

The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Per @georichutathletics: got some inside info concerning gregg marshall coming to coach at ut, and its looking as if its all but done in regards to him becoming the coach. Contract will start him off at 4.5 mill including a lengthy contract and other incentives. Announcement expected by Tuesday.

Got that from some guy on the texas board, I couldn't even find that guy on twitter
    Hows my post? send me feedback at 1-800-f$%k-off

Comment

• Crackpot theory ahead:

UK is going to go 40-0. Cal's current strategy is high risk-high reward: any given year he could win it all or lose in the first round of the NIT. If Cal does go 40-0, he will leave so that he can leave on top. His team can't be like the UCLA teams that were a dynasty because his players leave too quickly. He's headed to the NBA to coach the Nets as a redemption story for himself.

HCGM suspects this and is going to wait for the UK job to potentially open up before accepting anything else or announcing his official return to WSU.

//end-crackpot-theory

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxrox89 View Post
        Per @georichutathletics: got some inside info concerning gregg marshall coming to coach at ut, and its looking as if its all but done in regards to him becoming the coach. Contract will start him off at 4.5 mill including a lengthy contract and other incentives. Announcement expected by Tuesday.

Got that from some guy on the texas board, I couldn't even find that guy on twitter
        You could find half a dozen 'sources' quoting the same thing on the various Bama boards a couple of days ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
          I went to Wikipedia and did some research. I think unless you're from Michigan, Ohio, Florida or California, it's going to be difficult, if not impossible, to sustain success at a high level in both football and basketball. Note that those states have a lot more population than Alabama.

For 'big football' schools:
          Texas has three final fours.
          Oklahoma has had four, but one came in 1939, a second one in the early '50's (when the NIT was the hottest ticket in town). They've never won a national championship.
          Alabama has never been in a final four.
          USC has been to 2 final fours.
          Florida State has been to one final four.

Now for the big basketball schools (except for UCLA):
          Indiana - 8
          Kentucky - 16
          Kansas - 14
          North Carolina - 18
          Duke - 15.

All the big basketball schools have never had consistent, winning success in football.

The fact of the matter is that the alums support a consistent, winning tradition in sports and the only schools successful in both football and basketball for sustained periods (and competed for national championships) were in states that have relatively large populations. Running a top-flight program in either football or basketball is an expensive proposition. Running a top-flight program in both is hugely expensive. Usually the successful program drains resources from the 'unsuccessful' program.

Alabama not being a state with a relatively large population would make me conclude that they could be good at either football or basketball and they made that choice a long time ago.
          This is correct. You could add UCLA in the 60's and 70's as having long reaching success. Indiana had teams competing for National Championships from 1973 to about 1995. While Texas has had some short term success, they have not been able to have long term basketball success as people lose interest after a short amount of time and the downturn happens. If Gregg goes, he would be probably be giving it about 5 years of winning and then a retirement before he turns 60.

Comment

• So lets just say that Texas is the one that Marshall chooses, what is WSU's next step? Does Jans come back after one year away? I think that is best case scenario but will he pull a quick turn like that on Bowling Green? A couple years ago I had heard of a personal conversation with HCGM that he mentioned that UT would be one he would jump at. Yes its that type of (heard it from someone who heard it from someone) rumor but its what I heard and it seemed like a logical source. I hope he doesn't go but if he does I hope we do our best to keep what we've had in order. Personally, I don't think that Baker had the type of year that would push him to go pro now and Fred seems like he'd be the guy to finish his degree before he goes. With that said if they lose their head coach it may be enough to make them change, that is why Jans makes so much sense. Should be an interesting week. I personally won't hold whatever HCGM chooses against him, he's been here a long time and said no to others many times. 4.5 mil is a lot of straight cash homie!

Comment

• intresting summary of UT targets...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                http://longhorns.blog.statesman.com/...#__federated=1

intresting summary of UT targets...
                Staggering what passes for journalism these days.

Comment

• Is there a coach's show tomorrow?
                  “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    http://longhorns.blog.statesman.com/...#__federated=1

intresting summary of UT targets...
                    If Marshall bolted for Texas, would Archie Miller leave Dayton for Wichita? I'm kind of doubtful. I'm not sure that there is enough of a step up for him to leave.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                      Is there a coach's show tomorrow?
                      On the Thursday radio broadcast Mike said there would be. They were going to try to get Tekele and Darius on since they couldn't get them postgame. If there is no show or Coach isn't involved, I think we have the answer.

Assuming Coach is there, please God do not accept phone call questions. Last thing we need is a housekeeper fan questioning strategy or free throws or whatever while Coach is still on the fence and that pushes him over. Not that I'd expect something so trivial to matter much, but we need all the help we can get I think.

Comment

• Based on what we've seen and heard from Marshall for years, I'd say he would expect his players to stay and help smooth over the transition for the new guy. They wouldn't all bolt. They would stick around and they would even work on getting the recruits to stay true. The new coach would be getting a dream gig.

Comment

• Barnes Out At Texas

Jeff ******* is reporting that Rick Barnes has been fired from Texas:

The Texas Longhorns have decided to fire coach Rick Barnes after 17 seasons, multiple sources told ESPN.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post
                              We've landed on the moon!
                              What is this round thing people are referring to as a "wheel"?
                              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                              ---------------------------------------
                              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• the miami heat are making a move for lebron james

Comment

Working...
                                X