The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
    Lucky for KU, they don't have an MVC team in their way most years.

I'm still a bit lost as to the reason we are talking about KU at all. I was trying to discuss Gregg Marshall in a Gregg Marshall thread.
    Now you know how we feel.

Comment

• Let's add another reason to the already growing list of reasons why Marshall made a good choice in not going to Mizzou a few years ago.

This post on the Bradley forum provides a few links, but overall story is that Mizzou caved in to "striking" students and protestors. In the wake of that, enrollment is down 25% and and donations dropped 72% the next month and 25% overall. Looks like things are going to get even worse there.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
        Now you know how we feel.
        Hahaha
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Gregg Marshall mention http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ist-candidates
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
            "Did you realize that 40 Power-5 jobs have opened in the past five years, and exactly two of them -- UCLA and Texas -- have been filled by established and successful coaches with decent jobs who weren't running from something. That's it. UCLA hired Steve Alford in 2013. And Texas hired Shaka Smart in 2015. But literally every other job that's opened in the past five years has been filled by one of the following types of coaches:
            • An under-compensated mid-major coach
            • An assistant
            • An unemployed coach
            • A coach-on-the-run for one reason or another
            That's it.

In other words, if you're an AD at a school with an opening inferior to UCLA and Texas, -- i.e, if you don't have what amounts to a top-10 job in the sport to offer -- set your sights lower. Because unless you can buck the trend, you're not going to get what you want."

My favorite part of this article is that in his usage of UCLA and Texas as examples of the only type of jobs that were big enough to lure someone, he failed to mention that Marshall turned UCLA down. Kind of a little contradiction to his entire point there and further proof of how strong of a job WSU is.
            Last edited by Dave Stalwart; May 5, 2016, 04:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
              "Did you realize that 40 Power-5 jobs have opened in the past five years, and exactly two of them -- UCLA and Texas -- have been filled by established and successful coaches with decent jobs who weren't running from something. That's it. UCLA hired Steve Alford in 2013. And Texas hired Shaka Smart in 2015. But literally every other job that's opened in the past five years has been filled by one of the following types of coaches:
              • o
              • An under-compensated mid-major coach
              • An assistant
              • An unemployed coach
              • A coach-on-the-run for one reason or another
              That's it.

In other words, if you're an AD at a school with an opening inferior to UCLA and Texas, -- i.e, if you don't have what amounts to a top-10 job in the sport to offer -- set your sights lower. Because unless you can buck the trend, you're not going to get what you want."

My favorite part of this article is that in his usage of UCLA and Texas as examples of the only type of jobs that were big enough to lure someone, he failed to mention that Marshall turned UCLA down. Kind of a little contradiction to his entire point there and further proof of how strong of a job WSU is.
              My recollection (admittedly I suffer from CRS) is that Gregg was never offered, but when UCLA reached out to his agent, they were told that he wouldn't talk until WSU had completed its season. To say he turned down UCLA is a stretch, IMO
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:

Comment

My recollection (admittedly I suffer from CRS) is that Gregg was never offered, but when UCLA reached out to his agent, they were told that he wouldn't talk until WSU had completed its season. To say he turned down UCLA is a stretch, IMO
                Exactly. I almost noted the exact same thing a couple weeks ago. In addition, my recollection was that Alford's buyout went way up the week before the Final Four so UCLA had an economic incentive to grab the bird in hand.

That being said, I wouldn't have been too worried about Marshall leaving for a program with mediocre facilities, a psychotic entitled fan base that expects Final Fours every year and a Natty every fourth year, that flies commercial. Not with 3 more years of Ron and Fred.

Texas was a different story - here's to Shaka retiring in Austin.

Comment

If what you say in the above post is true (I have no idea if it is) then he absolutely turned down ucla. How you can say otherwise confuses me.

Comment

Gregg Marshall turned down Texas faster than Gegg McDermott bailed on Iowa State for a mid major program.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                      If what you say in the above post is true (I have no idea if it is) then he absolutely turned down ucla. How you can say otherwise confuses me.
                      Well, he was interested in UCLA, but not during the FF run. We asked it they would wait basically. Had we lost a little earlier, who knows if he would have accepted a position or turned them down.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Gregg Marshall turned down Texas faster than Gegg McDermott bailed on Iowa State for a mid major program.
                        Word is that he wasn't offered.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

Explain to me how someone can turn down something that was never offered? He did not turn down the UCLA job, he said "wait until my season is over before we talk about it." Comprendee?

Comment

Explain to me how someone can turn down something that was never offered? He did not turn down the UCLA job, he said "wait until my season is over before we talk about it." Comprendee?
                            Given a choice do you think UCLA would have picked Alford over Gregg Marshall?

Given who they hired it seems to me that it was Marshall's job if he really wanted it. There may not have been a formal offer and rejection but everything I've read about the situation (re: Shockernet, so it could be bs) seems to indicate he effectively turned it down. At least that's my take on the situation.
                            Last edited by pie n eye; May 6, 2016, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Given a choice do you think UCLA would have picked Andy Enfield over Gregg Marshall? No disrespect intended towards the former mayor of Dunk City.

We'll never know because UCLA chose to not consider Gregg in the discussion.

Given who they hired it seems to me that it was Marshall's job if he really wanted it. There may not have been a formal offer and rejection but everything I've read about the situation (re: Shockernet, so it could be bs) seems to indicate he effectively turned it down. At least that's my take on the situation.
                              Gregg effectively said "wait until the season is over and I'll listen to what you have to offer." That is not "turning it down," effectively or otherwise. UCLA turned down Gregg by not waiting a week or two. To see it any other way is not recognizing facts.

Comment

Given a choice do you think UCLA would have picked Andy Enfield over Gregg Marshall? No disrespect intended towards the former mayor of Dunk City.

What does Andy Enfield have to do with this? USC hired him. UCLA hired Steve Alford.

And rumor had it that when the team was out in LA for the Sweet 16/Elite 8, Lynn was not impressed with the traffic and was ADAMANT that they weren't ever moving there.
                                78-65

Comment

Working...
                                X