No announcement yet.

The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well stated, TMH. Tubby has some accomplishments, but also a lot of pretty nondescript performances. Maybe -- and Memphis fans can certainly hope for this -- he'll be like Joe Torre was when he managed the Yankees.

Look up Torre's record sometime: he was the quintessential .500 manager, almost literally so. It wasn't clear what the Yankees' brass saw in him, except possibly a calm, don't rock The Boss's boat demeanor -- but with that franchise and its ability to spend the world to acquire talent, he suddenly became a Hall of Fame caliber skipper. So maybe if Tubby can do something similar with all of the talent Memphis is said to have locally or be able to attract, and just keep everyone focused and on the same page. he'll lead them to a level of success worthy of his very considerable salary. As I said, at least they can hope.

Not sure why JH4P thinks Will Wade would have been a disappointment, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
      Don't read anything into that. He just hates alliterative names.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
        Is Tubby a good hire in that he is a solid coach? Yes. But the reference point is not it being a decent hire, but Memphis making him one of the 10 highest paid coaches in America. There is a different standard for that kind of a payday.

Yes, but if Memphis folks TRULY believe (and I think they do) that their coaching position is one of the top 10 or so, then they are probably willing to pay a top 10 salary to get someone. In that regard, Tubby isn't a bad 'get' from those coaches' available. I think, seeing what he accomplished at Minn and TTech, with what Memphis can provide, he'll do very well there.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
          Even when we account for the years in Minnesota and Texas Tech representing tough places to win, are those really the results one of the top 10 coaches in the nation would accumulate over an 11 year span?
          I don't think that is a fair way to look at it. Nobody is going to steal the #15 coach in the country by offering him #15 pay. Fair or not, reality is that the newest contracts always look the nicest. That is of course until another year or two pass and even newer contracts pass those. Inflation is what it is.

Maybe Tubby is only the 25th best coach in the game today. To get the 25th best coach, you aren't going to be able to offer only 25th ranked money. Is paying him top 10 money overpaying? Maybe, but not nearly as much as it might sound at first.

Tubby took 3 different schools to the Sweet 16, including a ton of Sweet 16s and beyond at Kentucky. His last decade has been taking horrible programs and making tem respectable. Memphis will be a shift back to a quality job, I expect he will once again win a bunch of games, and I think Memphis fans will be plenty fine with paying him top 10 money to do it. Although give it 2 years and bet he is no longer top 10 as even newer, and higher, contracts are signed. When he is merely a top 20 contract, and is regularly in the top 25, this whole thing will make sense.
          Last edited by Jamar Howard 4 President; April 14, 2016, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
            I don't think that is a fair way to look at it. Nobody is going to steal the #15 coach in the country by offering him #15 pay. Fair or not, reality is that the newest contracts always look the nicest. That is of course until another year or two pass and even newer contracts pass those. Inflation is what it is.

Maybe Tubby is only the 25th best coach in the game today. To get the 25th best coach, you aren't going to be able to offer only 25th ranked money. Is paying him top 10 money overpaying? Maybe, but not nearly as much as it might sound at first.
            You should probably read the thread. You might more fully understand people's position.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
              Maybe a bad choice. I didn't mean it as anything against Wade. I was merely looking for a couple of names that would be considered blah, and not the type of splash that Memphis wanted. IMO, there is a Will Wade available to be bought for +/- $2 mill just about every year.

Comment

• Good hire. I expect he will do very well there. I doubt he was the first guy they called, but he should turn that program around instantly.

Comment

• Anyone can debate about Tubby if you wish.

However, he is a step down from Gregg Marshall and the main thing that I care about is that Gregg is still our coach.

Comment

• I have been banned by @_kai_: more than anyone other than maybe a rival fan. I used to side with Sub and was a hater and I tried TOB but I came back after a week for three reasons:
                    1. trop
                    2. Doc
                    3. Fever

You can't replace those three. I buried the hatchet with Kai pretty quick.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                      I have been banned by @_kai_: more than anyone other than maybe a rival fan. I used to side with Sub and was a hater and I tried TOB but I came back after a week for three reasons:
                      1. trop
                      2. Doc
                      3. Fever

I'm hurt

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                        I have been banned by @_kai_: more than anyone other than maybe a rival fan. I used to side with Sub and was a hater and I tried TOB but I came back after a week for three reasons:
                        1. trop
                        2. Doc
                        3. Fever

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                        I'm hurt
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Sorry guys. Here is something for you. Don't choke.
                          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                            JH4P. At one point their post above finished with the line "if you ask me". Which we didn't. But he/she has since edited that out.
                            Got it, I was trying to figure out what I did to piss you off😆

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                              I have to disagree here. DTSB has no agenda and does his best, while no longer residing in the 316, to obtain factual, relevant information.

He may not be a big time homer, but that's not an awful thing. And I can vouch for his Shocker support, it's real and deep.

And most, if not all, would be stunned to find out how actually tied in to REALLY good info he is.
                              I know he's down in Louisiana, which is amazing to be that tied into the program as he is or claims to be.

I didn't really have a problem with him. We had our skirmishes here and there.

He's just rubbed me the wrong way, especially recently, where he would talk down on this board and the posters on it.

I just find it strange that people can "handle" some message boards, but can't take it with others and run away. Just weird to me.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                                I know he's down in Louisiana, which is amazing to be that tied into the program as he is or claims to be.

I didn't really have a problem with him. We had our skirmishes here and there.

He's just rubbed me the wrong way, especially recently, where he would talk down on this board and the posters on it.

I just find it strange that people can "handle" some message boards, but can't take it with others and run away. Just weird to me.
                                I don't know the guy, but there are assholes everywhere. Some of them just can't stand to be called out on it.
                                "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Working...
                                X