The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
    That guy turned into an arrogant *****. Don't know what the deal was with him.
    I have to disagree here. DTSB has no agenda and does his best, while no longer residing in the 316, to obtain factual, relevant information.

He may not be a big time homer, but that's not an awful thing. And I can vouch for his Shocker support, it's real and deep.

And most, if not all, would be stunned to find out how actually tied in to REALLY good info he is.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
      Nobody asked you. That's the point.
      Who's post are you referring to?

Comment

• JH4P, I get what you're doing. However, since you were absent with tireless *logic counterarguments* in response to the Memphis trolls last week, you might just let us have some fun at their expense for hiring a dude with no sweet sixteen appearances in his last 11 seasons who can start his early social security withdrawals in the near future.

If being an at-large bubble candidate 2 out of every 3 years was Memphis' goal once Pastner left, then boy did they ever knock it out of the park here. However, I remember driving through Memphis in February 2015 (after 4 straight NCAA appearances) and seeing a billboard with hashtag #WeDeserveBetter and a picture of Pastner cradling his face in his hands during a moment of exasperation. Something tells me a future 10 seed and Round of 32 appearance every other year wasn't exactly their version of reaching for the stars.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
          Actually, the real life equivalent is an auction sale with two competing parties that care more about image and ego than they do market value.

Things are getting desperate out there.
          Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          Reminds me of an episode of Storage Wars where Darrell drops a **** locker on Dave when they're both trying to run the other one up.
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
            JH4P, I get what you're doing. However, since you were absent with tireless *logic counterarguments* in response to the dozen or so Memphis trolls last week, you might just let us have some fun at their expense for hiring a dude with no sweet sixteen appearances in his last 11 seasons
            Yeah, I didn't log on over the weekend and saw 15 new pages Monday morning. I'm not too sorry that I missed out on that fun.

Go ahead. Have your fun. I just think the trash talk I'm hearing from Shocker fans on this topic is pretty weak. I like good trash talk, and I think many of you could do much better.

To each his own I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
              We still have the Ferrari, so we can stick that in their face, but "ha ha, you got stuck with a Corvette" seems like a bit of a stretch for trash talk.
              I honestly think HCGM is more of a "Corvette" guy... :)

“Corvette guy” JIM ROME (The Jim Rome Show) Drives a Corvette now?

Jim Rome stirred up the Corvette community by trying to drag "Corvette guy" through the mud with his "High end European made vehicle"...So just…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                Who's post are you referring to?
                JH4P. At one point their post above finished with the line "if you ask me". Which we didn't. But he/she has since edited that out.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                  I honestly think HCGM is more of a "Corvette" guy... :)

“Corvette guy” JIM ROME (The Jim Rome Show) Drives a Corvette now?

Jim Rome stirred up the Corvette community by trying to drag "Corvette guy" through the mud with his "High end European made vehicle"...So just…

A convertible Corvette with an automatic transmission fits Jim Rome splendidly. Bonus points if he's joined a "Corvette Club" and never had the thing over 4K RPM.

Comment

Yeah, I didn't log on over the weekend and saw 15 new pages Monday morning. I'm not too sorry that I missed out on that fun.

Go ahead. Have your fun. I just think the trash talk I'm hearing from Shocker fans on this topic is pretty weak. I like good trash talk, and I think many of you could do much better.

To each his own I guess.
                    No one thinks Tubby Smith is a terrible coach. It can be argued that it is not very easy to build and win at TTU and UMinn.

What many people think is terrible (and what is being poked fun at) is his price tag. The guy just snuck into the NCAA's for the first time in several years, and in the past nine years has barely crested .500, on his way to a single win in the tournament, and somehow in all of this he segued that resume into a new program and a 70% raise.

Comment

• DTSB obviously has great inside info and I seek out his posts to see if there's anything that he is able to pass along. But I have found his personal opinions to usually be off base (maybe clouded by personal connections) and arrogant might be a good word to describe how he acts.

Comment

After losing 39 games the last 3 years, and no postseason of any kind the last 2 years, I guess I don't see why a 4-6 year run with Tubby is a bad idea in order to re-establish a strong program. I think Tubby actually was a pretty good hire and will have them back in the NCAA tournament most years.

If Memphis had been stuck with a true disappointment like Andy Kennedy or Will Wade, I would understand the urge to laugh at the dumb Memphis posters who talked so much smack. With Tubby, I guess I feel like he is not that far off from their best case scenario. Is he Marshall? Nope. But I do think Tubby is a better coach than most are giving him credit for. I think Memphis fans have every reason to be excited, and as a Shocker fan, I'd stick to jabbing them about how Marshall is still ours. We still have the Ferrari, so we can stick that in their face, but "ha ha, you got stuck with a Corvette" seems like a bit of a stretch for trash talk. I think Memphis came out pretty well.
                        Is Tubby a good hire in that he is a solid coach? Yes. But the reference point is not it being a decent hire, but Memphis making him one of the 10 highest paid coaches in America. There is a different standard for that kind of a payday.

Let's talk about Memphis having 39 losses the last 3 years. Tubby's teams have racked up 50 losses in the last 3 years. Let's talk about no post-season for Memphis in 2 years. Sure TT made the NCAAs this season, but they were the 7th place team in their conference and .500 in conference play. Not exactly an overpowering resume.

Let's take a longer view. In 2005, Kentucky made a run to the E8 under Tubby. Ever since that year, every single team Tubby has coached has accumulated double digit losses. Here are the conference finishes since 2005 (2 at UK, 6 at Minn., and 3 at TT):

6, 4, 6, t7, 6, 9, t9, t7, 9, 10, 7

Even when we account for the years in Minnesota and Texas Tech representing tough places to win, are those really the results one of the top 10 coaches in the nation would accumulate over an 11 year span? Let me reiterate:

11 years
                        0 conference titles
                        0 top 3 conference finishes
                        1 top 5 conference finish
                        6 NCAA appearances
                        3 NCAA wins (1 post Kentucky)
                        0 Sweet 16s
                        0 seasons with single digit losses

Maybe getting into a bidding war for Tubby was the right call because it was the best option available for Memphis, but it isn't a particularly hard case to argue they are overpaying.
                        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Good for Tubby, he can ride this pay day to nice retirement.
                          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                            Is Tubby a good hire in that he is a solid coach? Yes. But the reference point is not it being a decent hire, but Memphis making him one of the 10 highest paid coaches in America. There is a different standard for that kind of a payday.

Let's talk about Memphis having 39 losses the last 3 years. Tubby's teams have racked up 50 losses in the last 3 years. Let's talk about no post-season for Memphis in 2 years. Sure TT made the NCAAs this season, but they were the 7th place team in their conference and .500 in conference play. Not exactly an overpowering resume.

Let's take a longer view. In 2005, Kentucky made a run to the E8 under Tubby. Ever since that year, every single team Tubby has coached has accumulated double digit losses. Here are the conference finishes since 2005 (2 at UK, 6 at Minn., and 3 at TT):

6, 4, 6, t7, 6, 9, t9, t7, 9, 10, 7

Even when we account for the years in Minnesota and Texas Tech representing tough places to win, are those really the results one of the top 10 coaches in the nation would accumulate over an 11 year span? Let me reiterate:

11 years
                            0 conference titles
                            0 top 3 conference finishes
                            1 top 5 conference finish
                            6 NCAA appearances
                            3 NCAA wins (1 post Kentucky)
                            0 Sweet 16s
                            0 seasons with single digit losses

Maybe getting into a bidding war for Tubby was the right call because it was the best option available for Memphis, but it isn't a particularly hard case to argue they are overpaying.
                            While I think $3MM might be overpaying, I would also like to point out that the Minnesota facilities were a dump. Pitino's son is having a hard time there. When you're recruiting kids with lots of stars and they see the antiquated facilities, it turns them off.

If you have nice facilities to show to those kids coming in, it makes a lot of difference. I'll be the first to say that it has made a difference here.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                              I have to disagree here. DTSB has no agenda and does his best, while no longer residing in the 316, to obtain factual, relevant information.

He may not be a big time homer, but that's not an awful thing. And I can vouch for his Shocker support, it's real and deep.

And most, if not all, would be stunned to find out how actually tied in to REALLY good info he is.
                              I was under the impression DSB was pretty well-connected. I'm not sure what soured him on ShockerNet, but I seem to recall when he did try to share a nugget or two of solid info, his credentials were questioned. He (and maybe SubGod) tried to get a rival board going on CSNbbs (where the big Memphis board is).

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                                JH4P. At one point their post above finished with the line "if you ask me". Which we didn't. But he/she has since edited that out.
                                I'm supposed to wait to post until after you ask me questions, and then, and only then, I am allowed to speak? lol

...and to think some people say I'm argumentative.

Comment

Working...
                                X