X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
    Memphis Athletic Department revenues (less football) - $28,043,632

Wichita State Athletic Department revenues (no football) - $25,322,855

Yet fans from one of those schools is trying to big time the other. Go figure.
    why do you leave out our 8.9 million in donations? (if I read this right)

Comment

Memphis Athletic Department revenues (less football) - $28,043,632

Wichita State Athletic Department revenues (no football) - $25,322,855

Yet fans from one of those schools is trying to big time the other. Go figure.
      Memphis has treated it fund raising efforts as a single pile of money in order to make football appear a more viable. The only sport, however, that generates profit is basketball. Memphis basketball is a cash cow, however.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabretooth View Post
        Its just called reality when a better situation comes along. Memphis is a top 20 job. The fans at UCONN might argue, but its really the best gig in its conference in terms of fan base, facilities and access to talent; and with the right coach, its a program that can consistently be a nationally relevant program. Your coach knows this and its why he let a certain journalist at CBS Sportsline know he'd be interested if the interest were truly reciprocal. Now, it could be just another ploy to help keep himself in the spotlight... and coaches consistently use that tactic... but we'll know in the next week if there is anything to it.
        So you have an inside line to CBS? Gee, we have enough of that sort of guesswork here already without importing it. The Troll Index is starting to shoot up -- as I said, good luck with whoever you get. It'll be nice not to have you here posting.

Comment

Absolutely no way you can draw a correlation between Pastner's recruiting, and Marshall's. That's basically all JP is, a fantastic recruiter, but terrible developer and in-game coach. Marshall is essentially the mirror opposite of that. Not saying Marshall is a bad recruiter, but it is not a secret that he recruits for his system, and not off of stars and HS accolades.
          Go and look at the recruiting sites. Marshall offers to 4 and 5 star guys every year. Most of them just elect to go elsewhere.

Yes, he doesn't put much stock in rating systems. That doesn't mean that many of the recruits he covets aren't rated 4 and 5 stars by those metrics.

Comment

I don't know how the Wall St Journal determined its methodology, but Memphis has always hid its football losses with basketball money. The Tiger Scholarship Fund, which is the primary pool of funds that pays the athletic departments bills, are raised through sale of basketball seat licenses. Memphis basketball generates far more money than Ole Miss' or Auburn's so I'd really question how the data was supplied and applied. I'd expect WSU generates a heck of a lot more money than Ole Miss does, too.
            Yeah, we know about seat licenses; we call it SASO. Basically every school with any sort of a program has such a system. Cheapest seat at Koch is $600 per year, is the last six rows of the arena, and costs several times that right now in mandatory donation if you're trying to buy into the system, with the huge waiting list.

Making lots of money off of your basketball program is not a new thing at WSU either.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
              So you have an inside line to CBS? Gee, we have enough of that sort of guesswork here already without importing it. The Troll Index is starting to shoot up -- as I said, good luck with whoever you get. It'll be nice not to have you here posting.
              I don't have an inside, but Gary Parrish the writer at CBS, is a Memphian and has been on local radio today saying as much. His bud, Jeff *******, has said as much, as well. We'll see.

Comment

• Originally posted by UofMemphis View Post
                why do you leave out our 8.9 million in donations? (if I read this right)
                Originally posted by Sabretooth View Post
                Memphis has treated it fund raising efforts as a single pile of money in order to make football appear a more viable. The only sport, however, that generates profit is basketball. Memphis basketball is a cash cow, however.
                I included the link guys, if you want to go have a look around. It is a site widely used and quoted by media in this country, of all levels and all formats. Financial reporting data compelled by the US Government through Title IX. If you see a website or article outlining college athletics financials, the source is almost certainly that site.

Comment

You can take ou wha you yet it still doesn't change the fact that its easier to recruit high level kids to Memphis than Wichita. We had to face a similar reality when Kentucky came calling on Calipari. Cal had turned down South Carolina. He had turned down Arkansas. He had turned down NC State. We had actually began to believe he loved the community so much, he'd turn down Kentucky, too. We were wrong. Again, I have no idea if Memphis is going to put together the kind of package to go after a guy like Marshall, but it sounds like on the surface, they are aligning the right people to do so. If they do, he'll have a tough decision to make.
                  Marshall is not facing ncaa violations like Cal was. Thats a big motivator to move on. Not saying he would have stayed but the chances were probably higher.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                    Go and look at the recruiting sites. Marshall offers to 4 and 5 star guys every year. Most of them just elect to go elsewhere.

Yes, he doesn't put much stock in rating systems. That doesn't mean that many of the recruits he covets aren't rated 4 and 5 stars by those metrics.
                    Can you show me some links illustrating top 50/5 star recruits that we're going after? No need for links to top 100/4 stars, as we already have those in the program.

Comment

Its just called reality when a better situation comes along. Memphis is a top 20 job. The fans at UCONN might argue, but its really the best gig in its conference in terms of fan base, facilities and access to talent; and with the right coach, its a program that can consistently be a nationally relevant program. Your coach knows this and its why he let a certain journalist at CBS Sportsline know he'd be interested if the interest were truly reciprocal. Now, it could be just another ploy to help keep himself in the spotlight... and coaches consistently use that tactic... but we'll know in the next week if there is anything to it.
                      The UConn fans better argue, because they'd be right: UConn is on a tier above Memphis in terms of name brand, nat'l recognition, and results.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                        The UConn fans better argue, because they'd be right: UConn is on a tier above Memphis in terms of name brand, nat'l recognition, and results.
                        It's ridiculous to argue otherwise.

Comment

I don't have an inside, but Gary Parrish the writer at CBS, is a Memphian and has been on local radio today saying as much. His bud, Jeff *******, has said as much, as well. We'll see.
                          Parish is a Memphis radio personality making stuff up on what he "thinks" it will take to get Marshall. ******* is just running with it. Neither are close to Marshall

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                            Parish is a Memphis radio personality making stuff up on what he "thinks" it will take to get Marshall. ******* is just running with it. Neither are close to Marshall
                            But they wanna be! :)
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              But I didn't say they weren't. I just said Memphis was a better job.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                                Gary is a national basketball writer who also has a local radio show. He's brutally honest with Tiger fans... which is why I believe him.

Comment

Working...
                                X