ESPN Gameday on Feb. 28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
    Ha! I have to admit I was an admirer of her. I went to that game and saw her and was jealous to be several rows back. BUT I dont think I ever actually saw this video!! Amazing lol
    Was this on the ESPN telecast or like a webseries? this was my heyday in college so I could have watched in (intoxicated) and forgot =)

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
      Maybe the students should be directed to this video on how a student section should look and sound like during an actual game. And this was when we were trending downward, unlike the Top 15 program we have now.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
        I see that jocoshock has distanced himself from all the "Super Bowl" comments that have been made by other posters. I shouldn't have implied that he was being inconsistent, as this is more of an example of jocoshock disagreeing with other posters than it is of him being inconsistent.

However, what interests me now is if those who were on the "it was UNI's Super Bowl" bandwagon will now stay consistent and argue that Game Day coming to Wichita would be to the Shockers' advantage. It seems like anyone who endlessly argued the first point would have to feel equally strong about the second.
        I actually don't think UNI necessarily played well because it was their super bowl. I think WSU played really bad for a whole week. WSU playing really bad for a week was good for a 2-1 record and a lopsided loss in the game against a well put together, experienced team. In other words I think WSU had more to do with how bad we looked than UNI did. If we'd have beaten Loyola and Bradley with strong showings on either side of the UNI game, my opinion would be different. I don't think their super bowl energy level was that instrumental.

That being said, I do still find it funny how much super bowlness took place from their perspective. That's another story.

I don't think gameday showing up will have very much impact on WSU's performance at all. This is a team that has played well in the Dance for several years. Gameday will not mean super bowl for WSU.

Comment

I agree that WSU playing poorly at UNI was mostly WSU's own fault. However, I think credit must also be given to UNI for playing possibly their best game of the year. The point differential being double digits was a combination of the two factors.

DJ, while I agree that Game Day showing up to Wichita probably wouldn't have much impact on WSU's actual performance, I think it is mostly because you and I don't believe in the "Super Bowl Effect" like many posters on this board do. At least, not nearly to the extent that they do.

Where are all the "WSU got Super Bowled" posters right now? They should all be clamoring about how much Game Day would help WSU's chances on the 28th. It seems to me like all this Super Bowl talk has been less about a legitimate phenomenon and more about coming up with an excuse to fail to give other teams credit when they play well against the Shockers.

Comment

I agree that WSU playing poorly at UNI was mostly WSU's own fault. However, I think credit must also be given to UNI for playing possibly their best game of the year. The point differential being double digits was a combination of the two factors.

DJ, while I agree that Game Day showing up to Wichita probably wouldn't have much impact on WSU's actual performance, I think it is mostly because you and I don't believe in the "Super Bowl Effect" like many posters on this board do. At least, not nearly to the extent that they do.

Where are all the "WSU got Super Bowled" posters right now? They should all be clamoring about how much Game Day would help WSU's chances on the 28th. It seems to me like all this Super Bowl talk has been less about a legitimate phenomenon and more about coming up with an excuse to fail to give other teams credit when they play well against the Shockers.
            I don't know that I'm one of the most staunch supporters of the "Super Bowl" theory, but I 100% believe that teams are capable of getting up for big games. UNI hit a crazy percentage that last game. Creighton's last home game in the MVC, the same thing happened. The players are focused and motivated to compete in a way that is different from an average game.

I also don't know that Game Day would make much of a difference. It seems like it might, but it - hopefully - will be a big game regardless. No matter what the scenario is going into that game, I think WSU will benefit from it being senior night and from motivation to not get swept.

I say all that, but it's also possible I'm completely wrong. WSU lost to Evansville on senior night when it would have clinched a share of the MVC title.

Is your problem the term "Super Bowl"? I guess it's just a collection of anecdotes, but it seems like over the past few years WSU has gotten the absolute best effort from bottom dwellers. The teams struggle to hit 30% on the season, and then they hit 50% against WSU. Their arenas are usually half full at best, and then they sell out against WSU. It's the same reason LSU, A&M, and Ole Miss are competing with a UK team that is much better than they are. Even you concede that UNI played their best game of the year against WSU. What's the difference between someone saying a team got Super Bowled and saying another team got up for a big game?

Comment

I do not doubt that teams (sometimes) play their best when they are amped up for a big game. However, I think the effects in “on the court performance” of being amped up have been exaggerated by many on this board. I especially question those who think that shooting percentage goes up significantly.Just look at FT % against the Shockers. Without the element of a defense being there to contest a shot, free throws should be a perfect indicator of whether or not teams are shooting better, worse, or merely right at their season average vs the Shockers. In reality, there is no statistical improvement by the Shockers opponents this year at the free throw line compared to their season averages. They may hustle a little more, dive after more loose balls, etc, but I don’t think shooting % goes up just because it is an important game and the players are “focused”. Yet I routinely here people say “look how well they are shooting… it must be because they are Super Bowling us”. In that regard, I just disagree about the effect.

With that aside, maybe even more important to me is the idea that if we are going to constantly reference how other teams played above average because they had a game against the Shox highlighted on their calendars, then I think it is only fair to be consistent and be expecting the Shox to play above average when they have a game highlighted on their calendar. The upcoming game on the 28th should give WSU every advantage that posters have been claiming other teams have had up until this point.

Comment

I do not doubt that teams (sometimes) play their best when they are amped up for a big game. However, I think the effects in “on the court performance” of being amped up have been exaggerated by many on this board. I especially question those who think that shooting percentage goes up significantly.Just look at FT % against the Shockers. Without the element of a defense being there to contest a shot, free throws should be a perfect indicator of whether or not teams are shooting better, worse, or merely right at their season average vs the Shockers. In reality, there is no statistical improvement by the Shockers opponents this year at the free throw line compared to their season averages. They may hustle a little more, dive after more loose balls, etc, but I don’t think shooting % goes up just because it is an important game and the players are “focused”. Yet I routinely here people say “look how well they are shooting… it must be because they are Super Bowling us”. In that regard, I just disagree about the effect.

With that aside, maybe even more important to me is the idea that if we are going to constantly reference how other teams played above average because they had a game against the Shox highlighted on their calendars, then I think it is only fair to be consistent and be expecting the Shox to play above average when they have a game highlighted on their calendar. The upcoming game on the 28th should give WSU every advantage that posters have been claiming other teams have had up until this point.
                No. WSU is not at all in the same situation that other teams in the conference are in. Other teams are playing for nothing, there is zero pressure in their game against Wichita State. It is literally the highlight of their season, the biggest game by far, and if they get creamed by 25 it doesn't really matter. It does matter if WSU loses to UNI by 25. Winning or losing could mean a seed line or two in March. Idk if I buy into the "super bowl" theory or not. But the comparison of WSU vs. UNI and WSU vs. BU EU ILS ect. doesn't fly.

Comment

Good point about pressure ShockerExpress. That is definitely another variable.

Shouldn't that mean that UNI couldn't have benefited from the Super Bowl Effect a few weeks ago? Surely they had a lot on the line for that game and couldn't simply say "oh well, if we get smashed, it doesn't matter".

Comment

If it isn't "motivation" or "focus", are you saying the opponents are shooting better from the floor because the Shockers are playing poor defense? Or is it pure luck?
                    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                    ---------------------------------------
                    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Put a senior laden, mature team along with the biggest regular season league game against a Top 10 team and the largest number of tickets sold out for several weeks (unheard of for UNI) and you have the makings of a team focused and prepared.

Comment

COLLEGE GAMEDAY – BRING IT ON!

Last edited by WstateU; February 11, 2015, 09:27 AM.
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                          If it isn't "motivation" or "focus", are you saying the opponents are shooting better from the floor because the Shockers are playing poor defense? Or is it pure luck?
                          Neither. Teams AREN'T shooting better from the floor against the Shockers.

MVC teams at home vs WSU this year:

Bradley shot 36% vs WSU, shoots 39% for the season
                          SWOMO shot 40% vs WSU, shoots 41% for the season
                          Evansville shot 30% vs WSU, shoots 49% for the season
                          Loyola shot 37% vs WSU, shoots 46% for the season
                          Drake shot 33% vs WSU, shoots 45% for the season

UNI shot 60% vs WSU, shoots 48% for the season.

The notion that teams have consistently shot better against the Shox than they normally do is just simply not true.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                            Put a senior laden, mature team along with the biggest regular season league game against a Top 10 team and the largest number of tickets sold out for several weeks (unheard of for UNI) and you have the makings of a team focused and prepared.
                            That is fair, but I think it is only fair to say the Shockers will be equally as focused and prepared on the 28th. I'm just asking for consistency.

Comment

Neither. Teams AREN'T shooting better from the floor against the Shockers.

MVC teams at home vs WSU this year:

Bradley shot 36% vs WSU, shoots 39% for the season
                              SWOMO shot 40% vs WSU, shoots 41% for the season
                              Evansville shot 30% vs WSU, shoots 49% for the season
                              Loyola shot 37% vs WSU, shoots 46% for the season
                              Drake shot 33% vs WSU, shoots 45% for the season

UNI shot 60% vs WSU, shoots 48% for the season.

The notion that teams have consistently shot better against the Shox than they normally do is just simply not true.
                              This is part of why I think we had a lot to do with that game. We played poorly enough to allow a 60% night. On top of that, they shot well enough to earn 60%.

We also shot so bad that we couldn't dig out. That's the part I would give them the most credit for. They played good enough D to get us rattled and then we couldn't hit open shots well enough to keep the game close. We were open enough to shoot a lot better than we did.
                              They are a very good team for sure. I dont really mean to take away from it but I just think we were really struggling in general and playing a good team made it look worse.

Comment

Unfortunately, now that I really look at the prospects of gameday coming to the ICT it doesn't really appear we have much of a chance. Arizona and Utah are ranked higher and from a more high profile conference. Arizonas attention drawing power could possibly be more than Utah, WSU, and UNI's combined. I don't know if you have noticed, but ESPN has basically stopped talking about WSU. The talk slowed down to a crawl when we lost to GW, then when we lost to UNI it came to a complete hault. Even UNI beating us wasn't a big story on their site. I don't remember seeing it featured as one of their highlighted articles.

Comment

Working...
                                X