ESPN Gameday on Feb. 28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
    Unfortunately, now that I really look at the prospects of gameday coming to the ICT it doesn't really appear we have much of a chance. Arizona and Utah are ranked higher and from a more high profile conference. Arizonas attention drawing power could possibly be more than Utah, WSU, and UNI's combined. I don't know if you have noticed, but ESPN has basically stopped talking about WSU. The talk slowed down to a crawl when we lost to GW, then when we lost to UNI it came to a complete hault. Even UNI beating us wasn't a big story on their site. I don't remember seeing it featured as one of their highlighted articles.
    You must be watching another ESPN; I’ve seen plenty of highlights (No, not the recent Bradley and Mo. State games) this year. When the Tekelicopter lands, there’s always highlights. Yes, not much talk, but what can they say about us when we're playing bad Valley teams? Not sure what people expect? We’re not a P5 program and we’re currently not ranked in the top 5 or undefeated. I don’t expect ESPN to ‘fawn’ all over us. We’re not THE STORY and that’s OK with me. If WSU and UNI remain undefeated through February 28th, they’ll begin to hype the game. Probably still a long shot, but I’m sure the crew would rather be in Wichita to experience the Doo Dah Diner (what the hell is so good about that place anyway?) than Salt Lake City. Regardless, I’m not getting my hopes built up too high. If it happens great, if not, we at least had a chance and we should get a good time slot and ESPN2 coverage at the worst.

P.S. I'm one of the people that said it would NEVER happen.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Ok, I'm sold!

Doo-Dah Diner Official Website. Save Money Ordering Directly Here. Healthy Options. Fast Service. Friendly Team. Top Rated.

Doo-Dah Diner Official Website. Save Money Ordering Directly Here. Healthy Options. Fast Service. Friendly Team. Top Rated.
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
        You must be watching another ESPN; I’ve seen plenty of highlights (No, not the recent Bradley and Mo. State games) this year. When the Tekelicopter lands, there’s always highlights. Yes, not much talk, but what can they say about us when we're playing bad Valley teams? Not sure what people expect? We’re not a P5 program and we’re currently not ranked in the top 5 or undefeated. I don’t expect ESPN to ‘fawn’ all over us. We’re not THE STORY and that’s OK with me. If WSU and UNI remain undefeated through February 28th, they’ll begin to hype the game. Probably still a long shot, but I’m sure the crew would rather be in Wichita to experience the Doo Dah Diner (what the hell is so good about that place anyway?) than Salt Lake City. Regardless, I’m not getting my hopes built up too high. If it happens great, if not, we at least had a chance and we should get a good time slot and ESPN2 coverage at the worst.

They definitely showed highliights of the WSU vs MOst game on Espn Sportscenter. They even mentioned FVVs triple double.

Comment

Ok, I'm sold!

http://www.doodahdiner.com/reviews/
          It's kind of pricey, but most of the menu is very, very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
            Good point about pressure ShockerExpress. That is definitely another variable.

Shouldn't that mean that UNI couldn't have benefited from the Super Bowl Effect a few weeks ago? Surely they had a lot on the line for that game and couldn't simply say "oh well, if we get smashed, it doesn't matter".
            To an extent, yes. But still, WSU had won.. I don't even remember how many conference games in a row. I think there is a certain degree of "lets just see what happens" rather than "we need to win this in order to win the MVC" like there will be with the Shox on the 28th. At the very least, it is far from a direct comparison. In fact, I don't think there is a direct comparison, which was kind of my point.

Comment

If Kentucky is still undefeated by then.....my money is on gameday being wherever their game is!
              Don't sweat the petty things .....and.....don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                If Kentucky is still undefeated by then.....my money is on gameday being wherever their game is!
                My only slight disagreement with that is that it wouldn't be Kentucky's last regular season game. They are a week behind us. I get what you are saying though. The next week would be very possible for them.
                78-65

Comment

I mean, they've already narrowed down the possibilities via press statements. KU-Texas and Duke-Syracuse are duds at this point, so it is certain that it's between us and Utah-Arizona.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                    I mean, they've already narrowed down the possibilities via press statements. KU-Texas and Duke-Syracuse are duds at this point, so it is certain that it's between us and Utah-Arizona.
                    ESPN has chosen dud games instead of WSU games before.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                      ESPN has chosen dud games instead of WSU games before.
                      For TV slots I guess, but I can't think of any examples where gameday has passed us over for a clearly inferior matchup 7 days in advance of that game if that's what you're saying.

Syracuse's probation kills that game for practical purposes and Texas' swan dive in the Big XII pretty much eliminates that one as well. No hard feelings if they choose Zona @ Utah though.

Comment

For TV slots I guess, but I can't think of any examples where gameday has passed us over for a clearly inferior matchup 7 days in advance of that game if that's what you're saying.

Syracuse's probation kills that game for practical purposes and Texas' swan dive in the Big XII pretty much eliminates that one as well. No hard feelings if they choose Zona @ Utah though.
                        Definitely not saying we have been in the running for gameday before and been passed over. Just that sometimes they don't go with the 'best matchup' but rather the one they think will draw higher ratings, both for gameday and for regular game flex options. I think Utah and WSU would be the two obvious options here as well.

Comment

I was more referencing ESPN.com over sportscenter. If you are in the top 25 the are going to talk about you on sportscenter. On ESPN.com we were on featured articles and even the main featured article a couple times in the college basketball section. They haven't featured an article about any of our games in some time.

Comment

Uphill battle if Arizona @ Utah is for the PAC-12 title, which looks like the case right now. Unlucky that we have such a big competitor that weekend compared to the utterly pathetic gameday matchup this Saturday (UConn @ #25 SMU).
                            UConn v. SMU for game day. Gawd.
                            "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                              Neither. Teams AREN'T shooting better from the floor against the Shockers.

MVC teams at home vs WSU this year:

Bradley shot 36% vs WSU, shoots 39% for the season
                              SWOMO shot 40% vs WSU, shoots 41% for the season
                              Evansville shot 30% vs WSU, shoots 49% for the season
                              Loyola shot 37% vs WSU, shoots 46% for the season
                              Drake shot 33% vs WSU, shoots 45% for the season

UNI shot 60% vs WSU, shoots 48% for the season.

The notion that teams have consistently shot better against the Shox than they normally do is just simply not true.
                              "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                              John Adams, 1770

"Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are pliable."
                              Mark Twain

“So you have to accept facts as fact.”
                              Ai Yazawa

“If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.”
                              Albert Einstein

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                                This is part of why I think we had a lot to do with that game. We played poorly enough to allow a 60% night. On top of that, they shot well enough to earn 60%.

We also shot so bad that we couldn't dig out. That's the part I would give them the most credit for. They played good enough D to get us rattled and then we couldn't hit open shots well enough to keep the game close. We were open enough to shoot a lot better than we did.
                                They are a very good team for sure. I dont really mean to take away from it but I just think we were really struggling in general and playing a good team made it look worse.
                                Don't forget that the Shocks played just fine for 31 minutes. The other 9 minutes? Not so much.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Working...
                                X