No announcement yet.

WSU VERSUS MISSOURI STATE PREDICTIONS AND PREGAME DISCUSSIONS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The difference between last years sell outs and this years return to poor attendance is that they don't have a lot of hope anymore. All of their shitty fans came out last year and were let down, so why bother.

Comment

Lots of television advertising for tomorrow's game going on in Springfield. They want to capitalize on Shocker success.

Comment

What the heck do you do with a trailer compound like that if a tornado is coming, or there's an earthquake? Good heavens.
        Last edited by WSUwatcher; January 20, 2015, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
          What the heck do you do with a trailer compound like that if a tornado is coming, or there's an earthquake? Good heavens.
          Gather at their fancy carp pond with a jug of moonshine and ponder the meaning of life.

Comment

At 57.5 ppg, this is the 3rd stingiest defense in Shocker history (in terms of opponents' ppg). The second lowest is 57.0 (1949-50) and we may very well eclipse that by year end.

Truly a remarkable feat given that the prior records were established before a shot clock and three point line.

Comment

How about shirts that say "1999"

The last year SWMOST went to the NCAA Tournament?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                (small personal rant engaged, apologies in advance)

This is just one of many reasons that I can't stand the phrase "take care of business" (no offense @WSUwatcher:). I'm completely sick of hearing it. As if our talent and coaching just allows us to show up and do work and win. As if there's no passion in athletics. Missouri State has no say in the outcome. Anyone that thinks that their team hasn't been chewing on last year's loss for 12 months is fooling themselves. Hell, they've had a countdown clock for months. Their season will be made with a win tomorrow. Don't pay any attention to Marcus Marshall being gone or them not even putting up a fight at UNI Sunday. THIS is THEIR Super Bowl, and YES, they will have a say in the outcome. It's sports, and passion matters. EVERY flipping time.

I know what you (and everyone other fan of every other team from KU to UNI to Newman) are saying and trying to connote, I'm just tired of the phrase. :)

Rant over, carry on.
                Fair enough, Doc -- all that stuff matters; I agree. But when you're the better team and you're playing a game that on talent you should win, you need to be able to go in with mental toughness, feed on the energy of the opponent and its fans, and overcome the passion of their players and fans, to show them who's boss, quiet things down, and walk away with the win you ought to get (and, in many cases, this one included, really need to get to maintain your spot in the standings).

If you manage to "do your job" (to put it another way), and leave with the victory in hand, you can feel pride and satisfaction in your performance; as a competitor, you'll probably also enjoy the feeling of having won the other team's Super Bowl. But if you somehow come up short, you'll probably instead feel the regret of knowing that later on this is likely to be one you'll wish you had captured the way you should have. Plus, you'll have to move on and keep the loss from affecting you next time out.

Sorry if that sounds too clinical -- and believe me, I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't have fun winning a game like this one, or that the other guys aren't going to be ready to make it as hard as they can for you to do so (in this case, I commented previously that in some ways the Mighty Marcus's absence may actually make this game harder for WSU) -- but from the standpoint of the favorite, there really is a "business" end to such games, and taking care of it makes it much easier to finish as champions. So I think the phrase is a pretty good description of the task at hand. Maybe I've seen too many of Nick Saban's postgame comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                  At 57.5 ppg, this is the 3rd stingiest defense in Shocker history (in terms of opponents' ppg). The second lowest is 57.0 (1949-50) and we may very well eclipse that by year end.

Truly a remarkable feat given that the prior records were established before a shot clock and three point line.
                  This is in large part due to the pace we're playing at, though, which is the slowest tempo we've had under Marshall, and the slowest since at least pre-2002.

We have an excellent defense this year, but we're playing much more similar to UNI in terms of pace and possessions allowed this season.
                  Originally posted by BleacherReport
                  Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                    To be fair, it's partly due to the pace we're playing at, which is the slowest tempo we've had under Marshall, and the slowest since at least pre-2002.
                    Oh, no doubt. But I think a team whose aim was to slow the tempo down pre-1985 could have done it much, much more dramatically than we're able to accomplish these days.

You are completely right that tempo is definitely the primary driver this year since we are weaker on D on a per possession basis than the last two seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                      Gather at their fancy carp pond with a jug of moonshine and ponder the meaning of life.
                      They be strokin'...

They stroke it to the east and stroke it to the west
                      and stroke it to the carp they love best, huh
                      they be strokin'...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                        This is in large part due to the pace we're playing at, though, which is the slowest tempo we've had under Marshall, and the slowest since at least pre-2002.

We have an excellent defense this year, but we're playing much more similar to UNI in terms of pace and possessions allowed this season.
                        That is certainly the case. Perhaps some of the slower tempo is that the opponents feel like they have to slow the game to have a legitimate chance for victory. While the KenPom adjusted tempo is down, the Adjusted Defense is improving also.

AdjTemp AdjD
                        2008 62.5 101.8
                        2009 63.3 100.1
                        2010 65.5 97.3
                        2011 65.6 94.9
                        2012 66.8 93.7
                        2013 65.1 91.8
                        2014 65.0 93.3
                        2015 62.2 92.0
                        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                        ---------------------------------------
                        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                          They be strokin'...

They stroke it to the east and stroke it to the west
                          and stroke it to the carp they love best, huh
                          they be strokin'...

Ahhhh, the ole reach-around method. Useful when it get a little slippery I suppose. Pretty common round them parts of Missoura I'd expect.

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                            That is certainly the case. Perhaps some of the slower tempo is that the opponents feel like they have to slow the game to have a legitimate chance for victory. While the KenPom adjusted tempo is down, the Adjusted Defense is improving also.

AdjTemp AdjD
                            2008 62.5 101.8
                            2009 63.3 100.1
                            2010 65.5 97.3
                            2011 65.6 94.9
                            2012 66.8 93.7
                            2013 65.1 91.8
                            2014 65.0 93.3
                            2015 62.2 92.0
                            One thing that really stood out to me is that this year's per possession D is actually stronger than last year's. I had (completely incorrectly) assumed in my prior post that last year's was stronger since I just remembered the rank (Our adjusted D last year was 12th, this year's is 34th despite being significantly improved).

Interesting stuff.

Comment

Shockers open -13.5.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                                One thing that really stood out to me is that this year's per possession D is actually stronger than last year's. I had (completely incorrectly) assumed in my prior post that last year's was stronger since I just remembered the rank (Our adjusted D last year was 12th, this year's is 34th despite being significantly improved).

Interesting stuff.
                                I actually made the exact same mistake. Last time I was on KenPom, I compared our offensive ratings but the defensive rankings and assumed we were worse across the board. Definitely a better D this year overall. Crazy how much of a ranking difference there is between the two seasons.
                                Originally posted by BleacherReport
                                Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Working...
                                X