WSU vs GWU GAME DISCUSSION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LandStander View Post
    We are going to see a lot of zone this year. Hopefully it makes is a better, smarter team.
    Every Valley team is going to start practicing a 1-3-1 zone, beginning tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
      Tweets plus bench when we needed presence inside plus how he reacted on he bench.
      Didn't notice. Bad body language or something? What happened?
      I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
      If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

• Well, hopefully Shaq gets upset, mad, even downright angry enough to play angry and earn some playing time.

Comment

• [QUOTE=forevershockerfan;527211]GW is a opportunist solid team that was hot from the 3 point line. Their 1-3-1 zone kept us from getting the ball inside to our bigs to establish our inside game. Once we establish our inside game, we will win such games as tonight. We only have 2 losses through the non-con games but we sure thought we would leave Hawaii with the championship.

Just wanted to add my two cents after the loss...this year's inside game is a real come down from the previous two years. Two years ago WSU had two big bruisers in the paint, a very quick, courageous power forward in Carl Hall, and a 6'8'' future NBA prospect. What is it this year...three 6'7'' role players, one of them a freshman, a 6'11'' project, and a 6'10'' freshman. No wonder WSU fades against a team like GW. You can't expect consistent great games from the guards to compensate for a comparatively weak front line. Hope the inside game jells but I wouldn't count on it. If it does, the guard play will improve along with it. Good luck the rest of the way from a Phog net visitor.

Comment

• Originally posted by mattdalt View Post
            The guys looked gassed. I think a lot of the issues are just from the guys wearing down. Having to press late in the game because you have dug a hole, then having to do it again, and again, and again. Fatigue is cumulative, and I think Fred and Ron are just worn down. It appears Fred and Ron have called to be subbed out more these first 12 games, than all of last year.

When we say the freshman are making strides, I think all we see is the scoring. Not the turnovers, the blown defensive assignment, nor the missed block out. Would be interesting to see what HCGM thought about Brown's play that got him basically ZERO minutes in the 2nd half. Must be some reason.
            We had a long break coming into this tournament, so I don't think you can blame just fatigue. They should have been pretty rested. Honestly Cotton is the only player with an obvious physical reason for his play, and he probably would be playing less if we could help it.

Comment

• Originally posted by mattdalt View Post
              Would be interesting to see what HCGM thought about Brown's play that got him basically ZERO minutes in the 2nd half. Must be some reason.
              That was curious. I thought his defense was no worse than Cotton's in the first half. His offense was better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                Bush and Tevin? Nah.
                no cle and carter (and hall?) I mean

Comment

• Thought the guys looked tired but also looked like not much of a crowd there to feed off of energy-wise either. Hopefully this will become a learning experience in how to deal better with zones. May be a good loss too in that it takes pressure off of them. I think the high ranking and all the pre-season talk and nominations put a lot of pressure on them and it can wear on one. Cle seemed to always look like he was having fun and that seemed to rub off on the others - this year's squad doesn't look like they're having that type of fun. Hopefully someone will step up and get them to relax some during games.

Comment

• I wonder is 3G is being too soft on our guys. Our vets may have earned some things, but we have a team full of newbies with very little toughness. We gotta get that back and if Ron, Fred, Tekele and Darius have to go back through the ringer, then so be it. 3G had mentioned that he didn't get on them after the Utah loss. It's a little concerning to me.

Comment

• We miss Jans........a lot. We got outcoached tonight. Ron is playing himself out of the first round (I guess that's not all bad). .........Fred and Ron got some pre-season AA run. I do not see them getting any post-season AA run......... Brown was 2-2 from beyond the arc, I think we shoulda got him a 3rd shot. That doesn't seem that hard..... At a time when we needed to score we had Bush shooting 12-footers...... I don't think Shaq will finish the year........ We need Cotton back. The difference in the game was probably those 2 lazy passes up top by our Seniors. Ron has to shoot when they give him the shot............ We need a shotblocker. the stuff our guys get away with in practice (guessing) is getting swatted back at them in games. We will fall to the low 20's which is probably a more accurate rating of our team.

Comment

• Yup. All the upperclassmen trying to live up to the hype and make up for the loss of Cle. Just relax and play angry and let the newbies do what they are capable of...it will be OK.

Comment

• Who knows. Chadrack Lufile made a big jump from his junior to his senior year. He barely played as a junior. I just don't see that coming from Wamukota or Glass. We can always hope though. They just seem completely outclassed when they are on the court. Hopefully the light will suddenly come on. I'm not holding my breath. What's scary is that there really is no help on the way. The new guys coming in next year are not post players and we lose Carter. If Shaq isn't here either we are going to have even less inside game next year. We better hope Nurger puts on 30 pounds and becomes a much bigger post presence. Watching him, I do see that as a possibility. Right now he just isn't strong enough. He does have good skills though. With more strength he could be a force inside.
                          Last edited by Zubcut; December 25, 2014, 11:17 PM.

Comment

• I really think our post men could all do some damage - if they would just post low enough to begin with. They all have decent moves around the basket; we need to get it down there, draw some fouls, and open it up outside for the guards. Inside out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
                              So is it safe to say that Shaq is done as a shocker after his tweet today and his zero minutes? HCGM Has been disappointed in him for some time and it feels like he has reached the point of no return.
                              I'm gonna go head and say YES he is done as a Shocker. We have over recruited next year for a reason. Young man is just obviously not fitting in.

I still cannot believe a couple 3 or 4 star big's didn't sign on with the Shockers to play with Fred, Ron and Cotton for a couple years. All that publicity and national "run"....how did we NOT get at least one???? Just weird that we were unable to CAPITALIZE on recruiting and sign a couple BIG'S after our Final Four run.

Yes we ARE small this year and to be honest....I am officially saying to myself and conceiting the fact that we are in a "rebuilding" year. No bigs but Carter (playing slightly out of position) and nothing but ALL FRESHMEN. Oh sure....we should still be able to finish 1 or 2 in the Valley and go dancing in March.....but I can't and won't expect much success in the tourney this year. To me....this is a rebuilding year fer sure. REBUILDING YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Future....Maybe Ron stays one more year and Hamilton will come in strong next season and mesh with Kelly. I'm assuming that's all the post play we will have next year as I'm also assuming Markis McDuffie will be placed at Sunrise.
                              FINAL FOURS:
                              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                              Number of Times Ranked: 157
                              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                              #3 - Dec. 2017
                              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                              #2 ~ March 2014
                              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Big teams are going to be a big problem for the Shocks this season and next. Alabama would probably have got us at home if their Center hadn't fouled out with five minutes left. That allowed us to finally get to the rim at the end of that game to pull it out. We just can't score inside against length. It's going to continue to be a huge problem. Unfortunately, there is no help on the way. Unless Shaq..........
                                We all better hope that this Shaq business is nothing big. He has the possibility of developing into a legit post player. He has the athleticism and bulk, if not ideal height. If he's right he could alleviate a lot of problems we are having inside.
                                Last edited by Zubcut; December 25, 2014, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X