No announcement yet.

Arch Madness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in 103 in the club section... Where are you at?? I knew I had NO shot at getting decent seats through the school as I live multiple states away...

Comment

If you are a procrastinator and still have not booked your room, Missouri Athletic Club just released 5 standard rooms on Expedia for $109/night (before the unavoidable avalanche of taxes/fees). We are staying elsewhere this year, but I have had good experiences with them in the past.

Nothing fancy but it is clean and reasonably well located. I also really enjoy the old athletic and university clubs- they have a lot of character.

Comment

Yep, the Pear Tree Inn at Union Station also just released some rooms at 170/night + fees. That is a good place as well. I really enjoy the happy hour and snacks they provide. Just depends on how much pain the pocketbook can bear. A few hundred bucks a night to stay in St. Louis, one of the ugliest cities in the U.S., is always hard for me to stomach.

It will be an ocean of Shocker fans, and I'm sure the Panthers will travel decently for the Saturday/Sunday games like they used to back in 2009 and 2010. The rest will be mostly invisible.

Comment

St. Louis is such a hole. We stayed at The Parkway Hotel for the NCAA tourney last year, which happens to be just across the street from the International Tap House. We spent most of our free time there. 3 floors of flat screens and 50 or so beers on tap. Walk over to the Metro and that takes you right to Scottrade. However, the city is dumpy overall.

Comment

I hear that hotel rooms in Ferguson are pretty reasonable.

Population: 320,454Violent crime rate: 1,857 per 100,000 residentsLying directly in the path of major drug-trafficking routes, St. Louis has been plagued by murders and other violent crimes for years. The crime rate fell 4% last year -- and it's down 50% from the crack epidemic days of the early 1990s -- but St. Louis still ranked fourth in the nation for murders.

Comment

We have stayed at the Parkway the last few years and always been pleased.

Agreed that STL isn't exactly glamorous, but neither is Wichita. Some stuff in STL is worth checking out - I'd recommend the zoo and arch at least.

Comment

And City Museum. If you have kids, don't pass it up.....
                Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
                Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by capnkirk View Post
                  That place is even fun for adults.
                  "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                    Yep, the Pear Tree Inn at Union Station also just released some rooms at 170/night + fees. That is a good place as well. I really enjoy the happy hour and snacks they provide. Just depends on how much pain the pocketbook can bear. A few hundred bucks a night to stay in St. Louis, one of the ugliest cities in the U.S., is always hard for me to stomach.

It will be an ocean of Shocker fans, and I'm sure the Panthers will travel decently for the Saturday/Sunday games like they used to back in 2009 and 2010. The rest will be mostly invisible.
                    Have stayed at The PearTree for the last few years and no complaints. Its fairly convenient and has secured/locked parking (very important in STL). The snacks and happy hour there are indeed fun and have a decent breakfast too.
                    Stayed across the street one year @ The Marriott and had car stolen (still think their crack security team was in on it).

This will be 17 years in a row for STL and here are some unsolicited suggestions
                    1) Pappy's BBQ is top shelf. Better get there early when they open or you will be standing in line. It's THAT good!
                    2) Hodak's has some of the best fried chicken ever! Very reasonably priced and quick service. Typically go there in between Fridays afternoon & evening sessions.
                    3) Zia's is some damn fine Italian cuisine. There are plenty of other Italian eateries in The Hill section, but you will pay more and it will not top Momma Zia!
                    4) Ted Drewes custard is worth the trip. If you've had dinner and need a great dessert, do yourself a favor and indulge.

That is all.
                    Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Originally posted by capnkirk View Post
                      YES! If you have kids do not miss this place. It's our annual tradition to spend at least part of a day here. You won't regret it.

Comment

Fitz's Root Beer is a cool place near Forest Park, also. They brew and bottle their own root beer and have lots of good food. Cool place for the kids.

Our routine in STL always includes this place, Hodak's and the City Museum.

Comment

Pear Tree has evening karaoke, yes?

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post
                            YES! If you have kids do not miss this place. It's our annual tradition to spend at least part of a day here. You won't regret it.
                            Would a 15 year-old enjoy it?

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                              Would a 15 year-old enjoy it?
                              Without a doubt. Lots of high school kids there. They are even open late on the weekends. Like 11 or midnight.

Comment

Originally posted by TheYeti
                                Thanks! I'd only add one thing. If you're Catholic, Saturday evening, or Sunday morning, depending on the Shox schedule, mass at the cathedral on Lindell is worth the short drive.
                                Saw the Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis for the 1st time this fall. It is truly a magnificent structure. Worth a visit whether you are Catholic or not.

In 1912, installation of mosaics in the interior began. Completed in 1988, the mosaics collectively contain 41.5 million glass tesserae pieces in more than 7,000 colors. Covering 83,000 square feet, it is the largest mosaic collection in the world.

I believe guided tours are available.
                                Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 16, 2015, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X