2014-15 Games of Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go Syracuse tonight.

Go WV, put Texas out of its misery tonight.
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
      Go Syracuse tonight.

Go WV, put Texas out of its misery tonight.
      There is so much potential tonight. Providence could knock off Villanova. It was a 6 point game last time they met. Maryland could beat Wisconsin, too. Normally, I would expect Maryland to jump us if they pull that off, but THIS week, we could actually hold them off with a win over UNI. This week needs to just be nothing but upsets everywhere...except for us.

Then, tomorrow night, Virginia has to play @ Wake Forest. Last time they met, it was a one point game and a loss to Wake Forest could really hurt Virginia bad. Then, you've got Baylor @ Iowa State. Iowa State will jump us if they win it, but if Baylor wins, we gain a lot of ground. It will be the one time all year that KU and WSU fans are all very much on the same page, even though normally, we should be rooting for Iowa St to steal the Big 12 crown. That's gonna be a tough one for me... Would I rather root for seeding or root for KU to finally stop winning the Big 12? hmmm

and you are definitely right about Syracuse. They could ruin their entire conference over the next week. Their next 3 games are all against top 10's... Notre Dame, then Duke, then Virginia. Syracuse is our best friend this week.
      Last edited by Dave Stalwart; February 24, 2015, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• I'm really interested in UK vs Arkansas Saturday. Arkansas will be the first ranked opponent Kentucky will have faced in literally two months.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
          Doesn't look like Steven Hurt could be confused for POY:

BENCH

MIN FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
          Stephen Hurt, F 13 2-2 0-0 0-0 1 1 2 0 0 0 0 1 4

I think we have at least two forwards that are better than Mr. Hurt, I think Bush is at least as good......#overrated.
          LMAO....ummmmmm....NO
          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
            What if we added both Bush's together?! ;)

Are 2 in the Bush better than 1 in the Hurt?

That just sounds wrong......

Comment

• Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
              Here's a dilemma. If Evansville gets a road win at UNI, their RPI probably cracks the top 100 again. They are about 110ish.

The rankings are already out for the week so the whole 10 vs 11 matchup is locked in. Two losses this week shouldnt drop them further than about #20.

Assuming the Shockers do win out for the next 5 games, isn't it better for Evansville to also go on a little tear of their own so we will have more top 100 wins for seeding time?
              Regardless how you think it might turn out statistically, it's NEVER better if Evansville goes on a tear. NEVER. ALWAYS start with that premise, and then give it 10 seconds of more thought (perhaps use hell freezing over as a criteria). If hell has not frozen over, run with NEVER. That's how I analyze Evansville.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• You know, I always like pointing out how libertarians are contrarians. This is for those contrarians.

games minutes ppg rpg apg spg bpg tpg FG% FT% 3pt %
                KSU
                Stephen Hurt 26 13.2 4.3 3 0.4 0.2 0.2 1 0.456 0.684 0.333
                WSU
                Shaquille Morris 26 12.7 4.8 2.8 0.4 0.2 0.9 0.9 0.547 0.625 0
                Rashard Kelly 28 14.9 3.4 3.3 0.5 0.4 0.3 1.1 0.515 0.55 0.5
                Bush Wamukota 26 5.7 1.2 1.7 0 0.1 0.2 0.2 0.421 0.538 0 2.315789474<-----factor to balance for playing time 2.778947368 pts 3.936842105 rebounds 0.463157895 bpg 0.463157895 apg
                Using the 'factor to balance playing time', which is applied to Wamukota's stats to balance the time actually spent on the court, Bush averages 1.202 (roughly) points less per game, but .93 rebounds per game.2 blocks per game and .2 assists per game MORE. I'd rather have Kelly and Shaq as well.

So which one of you 'geniuses' wants to tell me again how much better Hurt is? If Hurt was that much better, talent-wise, he should be playing circles around Wamukota. He obviously isn't.

Sorry for the re-edit, but shockernet's text editor is not WYSIWYG

Comment

You know, I always like pointing out how libertarians are contrarians. This is for those contrarians.

KSU
                  WSU
                  Bush Wamukota 26 5.7 1.2 1.7 0 0.1 0.2 0.2 0.421 0.538 0 2.315789474<-----factor to balance for playing time 2.778947368 pts 3.936842105 rebounds 0.463157895 bpg 0.463157895 apg
                  Using the 'factor to balance playing time', which is applied to Wamukota's stats to balance the time actually spent on the court, Bush averages 1.202 (roughly) points less per game, but .93 rebounds per game.2 blocks per game and .2 assists per game MORE. I'd rather have Kelly and Shaq as well.

So which one of you 'geniuses' wants to tell me again how much better Hurt is? If Hurt was that much better, talent-wise, he should be playing circles around Wamukota. He obviously isn't.

When you post a significant amount of statistical data, please a chart form. It will facilitate readability.
                  "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                    Soooo. Quality losses don't move us up in seeding?
                    Sure it does...I mean it works for that one team in NE Kansas doesn't it? Lol

Speaking of the chickens...I actually do hope they continue to win the Big 12 every year. To me it makes the Big 12 look like a ho-hum league. Don't get me wrong...it's a good league...but when the same team wins it every year...it makes one wonder just how good it really is. If it was truly one of the best in all of college ball...why do they get bounced in March so often? It's like Gonzaga...they win their league all the time too because that West Coast Conference isn't too hard to win. btw..I like to think out loud from time to time...so when so-and-so chimes in...just let him spew.
                    FINAL FOURS:
                    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                    Number of Times Ranked: 157
                    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                    #3 - Dec. 2017
                    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                    #2 ~ March 2014
                    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

You know, I always like pointing out how libertarians are contrarians. This is for those contrarians.

KSU
                      WSU

Please stop face palming yourself, it's embarrassing. I don't know what cockamamie factor to balance goofiness you are using but there's a simple and well know technique to use: Per 40 stats. Example: Bush's per 40 points per game? 8. Hurt's per 40 PPG? 19. Not. Even. Close. And all of this is already calculated for your face palming pleasure: Go to statsheet.com and enjoy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                        Please stop face palming yourself, it's embarrassing. I don't know what cockamamie factor to balance goofiness you are using but there's a simple and well know technique to use: Per 40 stats. Example: Bush's per 40 points per game? 8. Hurt's per 40 PPG? 19. Not. Even. Close. And all of this is already calculated for your face palming pleasure: Go to statsheet.com and enjoy.
                        Not to rain on your parade here, but per-possession stats are much better than both per 40 stats and per game stats.
                        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                          I first want to go on the record by saying that if Hurt were the 12th guy coming off of our bench instead of Bush, I think we'd be in a better situation than we are now. Thought it was important I say that before being lumped in with someone that is currently receiving the brunt of the anger right now.

With that said, where did you get the 19 stat? I think Hurt's per 40 is 13. Hurt's rebounds per 40 are below Bush's.

I think the numbers are more than "Not. Even. Close." But it's such a ridiculous argument because both of their minutes are meaningless right now. Bush in particular. Basing per 40 minute stats off someone averaging 5 minutes a game is nuts. Also, if you want to say Bush is better than Hurt, go with Plus Minus. Bush's total plus minus is like 50 points higher than Hurt's.

Again, as a reminder... I agree that Hurt is better. I just think it's unfair to call @shocka khan: out for using stats which actually aren't that different.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                            I first want to go on the record by saying that if Hurt were the 12th guy coming off of our bench instead of Bush, I think we'd be in a better situation than we are now. Thought it was important I say that before being lumped in with someone that is currently receiving the brunt of the anger right now.

With that said, where did you get the 19 stat? I think Hurt's per 40 is 13. Hurt's rebounds per 40 are below Bush's.

I think the numbers are more than "Not. Even. Close." But it's such a ridiculous argument because both of their minutes are meaningless right now. Bush in particular. Basing per 40 minute stats off someone averaging 5 minutes a game is nuts. Also, if you want to say Bush is better than Hurt, go with Plus Minus. Bush's total plus minus is like 50 points higher than Hurt's.

Again, as a reminder... I agree that Hurt is better. I just think it's unfair to call @shocka khan: out for using stats which actually aren't that different.
                            Thanks jdshock. I appreciate your polite and respectful tone. It's certainly much better than those who use bogus unchecked statistics in an attempt to show me up.

And you're right, it probably is ridiculous to compare numbers. I'm just saying when we were recruiting Hurt, he was supposed to be the second coming of Carl Hall. If he's lucky, he'll be more like the second coming of Shadrack Lufile, who improved a great deal for us from his junior to senior years and did a very good job for us in the post. I hope he has a great senior season for KSU, but he obviously wasn't the player we thought he was.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                              Not to rain on your parade here, but per-possession stats are much better than both per 40 stats and per game stats.
                              You aren't raining on my parade, you're raining on his. Even per possession is a **** stat in this case because it doesn't take into account the quality of the opponent. Getting crap stats in mop up minutes against teams that have already cashed it in is pretty uncomparable to quality minutes against solid competition no matter what stat system you use. Per 40 is crap but at least is apples to apples, unlike his stat. What's the ppg based on per possession for the two players out of curiosity?

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                                Sure it does...I mean it works for that one team in NE Kansas doesn't it? Lol

Speaking of the chickens...I actually do hope they continue to win the Big 12 every year. To me it makes the Big 12 look like a ho-hum league. Don't get me wrong...it's a good league...but when the same team wins it every year...it makes one wonder just how good it really is. If it was truly one of the best in all of college ball...why do they get bounced in March so often? It's like Gonzaga...they win their league all the time too because that West Coast Conference isn't too hard to win. btw..I like to think out loud from time to time...so when so-and-so chimes in...just let him spew.
                                I read on the interweb that the team splattered by cat fans last night is a lock to move up to #2 next week, based on last night's quality loss. It has to be true....

Comment

Working...
                                X