No announcement yet.

2014-15 Games of Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like GW will pull out a double OT victory over Richmond. GW botches the foul with 3 point lead strategy and fouls the kid in the act of shooting. Otherwise it would have ended in regulation. Personally, I'd rather make them make the 3 pointer.
    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadaboutWu View Post
      Memphis up 8 with 7 to go at home over Cincinnati who is #34 in the rpi. Memphis is sneaking back towards the top #100.
      Realtime has Memphis at #92 now.

With a fair amount of luck, we could end up with as many as 9 games against top 50 teams and another 7 games against top 100 teams.

Comment

• #3 Gonzaga 73
        Pepperdine 70

2:20 left on ROOT Sports

Road games are hard.

Comment

• Gonzaga wins it by 2.

They were up 3 and perfectly executed a foul with <2 seconds left.

Comment

• Marymount and New Mexico State also won last to give GOI teams a clean sweep. SOS moved from 48 to 40 as a result (per WarrenNolan). Pretty good night.

For reference, the SOS on the same site was in the low 30s before we played SIU.

Comment

• No GOI for tonight. Below is the list for tomorrow (Saturday, 1/17/15). All times CST.

Tulsa @ South Florida, 10 AM on ESPNU
              SLU @ Dayton, 11:30 AM on NBC Sports
              Memphis vs. UCF, 1 PM on ESPN News
              Detroit vs. Green Bay, 2 PM on ESPN3
              Drake vs. Indiana State, 2 PM
              Alabama vs. #1 Kentucky, 3 PM on ESPN
              Marymount vs. #3 Gonzaga, 3 PM
              GW vs. George Mason, 3:30 PM on NBC Sports
              Illinois State vs. Bradley, 4 PM on ESPN3
              #8 Utah @ #10 Arizona, 6 PM on PAC 12 Network
              New Mexico State @ Seattle, 9:30 PM
              Hawaii @ UC Riverside, 10:30 PM on ESPNU

Some other relevant games for teams ranked near us:

#4 Duke @ #6 Louisville, 11 AM on ESPN
              #12 Notre Dame vs. Miami, 1 PM on ESPN2
              #17 VCU @ Duquesne, 1 PM on CBS Sports
              #14 Maryland vs. Michigan State, 3 PM on CBS
              #16 West Virginia @ #20 Texas, 5:15 PM on ESPN
              #18 Oklahoma vs. #24 Oklahoma State, 6 PM on ESPN2
              #9 Kansas @ #11 Iowa State, 8 PM on ESPN

Comment

• Also, for all the brutal hits our OOC SOS endured back in late November/early December, our opponents have rallied nicely since then. Our OOC SOS is now projected to finish at 16.

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                  Also, for all the brutal hits our OOC SOS endured back in late November/early December, our opponents have rallied nicely since then. Our OOC SOS is now projected to finish at 16.
                  Not bad for a program that doesn't exactly get to choose opponents off the shelf. Props to the staff for the non-con schedule they put together. It was a good schedule, and I enjoyed having some decent/good teams visit Wichita.

Comment

• In order of desires tomorrow, for me:

1. We win
                    2. Alabama wins
                    3. Utah wins

That'd be so rad.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                      Looks like GW will pull out a double OT victory over Richmond. GW botches the foul with 3 point lead strategy and fouls the kid in the act of shooting. Otherwise it would have ended in regulation. Personally, I'd rather make them make the 3 pointer.
                      Depends on the team, but I see what you're saying.

KenPom article on fouling when up 3: http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/web...ling_when_up_3

What the data said surprised me.
                      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                        In order of desires tomorrow, for me:

1. We win
                        2. Alabama wins
                        3. Utah wins

That'd be so rad.
                        KU loses, Creighton loses, Dook loses..........

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                          KU loses, Creighton loses, Dook loses..........
                          Yeah, those would be nice too I suppose. I don't know if your serious use of ellipses was supposed to suggest that those are more important than the three I posted about or not.................

Either way, I'd be willing to ride an elephant butt naked into Old Town if it meant my three happened. Your three would just make me giggle a couple of times.

Comment

• Kind of a rando thought, but in the Miami/Duke game, I was reminded of what a good coach I think Larranaga is...and what a step out of comfort he made in leaving GMU....

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                              Looks like GW will pull out a double OT victory over Richmond. GW botches the foul with 3 point lead strategy and fouls the kid in the act of shooting. Otherwise it would have ended in regulation. Personally, I'd rather make them make the 3 pointer.
                              I think you're nuts if you don't foul. I read last week where someone did some research on the use of both strategies up to that point in this season. I don't remember the exact numbers but the team that fouled when up by three was undefeated. Something like 83-0. The team that didn't foul LOST THE GAME 12% off the time or something like that. That doesn't even count all the times they hit the three to send it to overtime but lost in OT. If you foul, they have to do three things perfectly: 1) make the first free throw, 2) rebound the second missed free throw and 3) make the putback with limited time, usually a second or two. If you don't foul they only need to make a three from the close college 3 line. Some coaches don't want to do it because they're afraid of being second guessed if fouling backfires. Still the numbers say fouling is by far the safer strategy. Teams need to practice this fouling strategy though. You can't do it too early or too late. Too early and you may give the other team an extra possession. Too late and you run the danger of fouling a three point shooter. Still, I'd almost rather make a typical college player make 3 clutch free throws than give him even a contested 3. Sure, you could lose the game by fouling when up by three. It's happened before. But you sure as hell aren't going to lose 12% of the time.
                              Here's a great article by a coach who got burned too many times by not fouling:

http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/up3.pdf

http://thebiglead.com/2013/01/31/college-basketball-strategy-review-fouling-up-by-three-points-late-or-playing-defense/
                              Last edited by Zubcut; January 16, 2015, 04:05 PM.

Comment

• Probably a big slate of games today.......

Anyone watching the Duke Louisville game? Cannot believe officials allow obvious violations like Harrel's travel just before the buzzer. It was great defense, without fouling, and they just let him dance in between 2 legal defenders.

I understand "letting things go", especially when they don't affect play, but that's insane and it most certainly did affect play.

Comment

Working...
                                X