Tell me about the dark days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
    What I remember most is we lost to Drake in the last game of the season. That was the beginning of the end. I had never known anything except creaming them. And I remember being in shock. I was just a kid. But I remember the Shocks sucking from that moment.
    Was this when Lynnrick Rogers dropped 40 on us in the Valley tournament? We sucked long before that, but maybe you're talking about an earlier time. We lost a lot of games.

Comment

• This thread is screaming for visuals…

Horrible, horible memories...

Comment

• Originally posted by DCShockerFan05 View Post
        Was this when Lynnrick Rogers dropped 40 on us in the Valley tournament? We sucked long before that, but maybe you're talking about an earlier time. We lost a lot of games.
        The game I'm thinking of would have been in 87 or 88.
        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• I remember listening on the radio sometime in the mid-90's as a middleschooler and jumping for joy as we held on for a 1 point win over Northern Illinois for our first road win in several years.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I remember sitting in Harrah's Reno sports book on a Saturday morning watching a Cohen WSU team end the first half by only scoring about 15 pts. Me being the eternal optimist, I'm thinking to myself "just wait and the second half will be different". All of a sudden this old gray-haired dude stands up, about 3 rows in front of me, and slams down his newspaper and storms out of the sports book saying "That's the worst GD excuse for a basketball team I've ever seen".
            I was stunned (and slightly insulted) and he, after I watched the second half, was right.
            Last edited by shoxilla; March 11, 2014, 08:09 PM.
            For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
            - said no one ever...

Comment

• So there was actually paying of players and plane tickets and all those type of shenanigans going on? I'm impressed, didn't know all that and wouldn't have thought some of those guys had it in them.

Comment

• Dear Mr. Rosewood,
                Genius Thread
                For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
                - said no one ever...

Comment

• The 90s weren't so bad. Kung Wu dated several of your future wives back then. For that I'd like to say "sorry". (And in some cases "THANKS!")

I caught the Shoxer bug during the down years but went to all those games cheering my ass off and not giving a rip if we lost, because I have to maintain my sanity after all.

I made it to the 6th row in seating with only maybe 5 years of season tickets. BAHAHAHA!

But then I lost those seats due to the rennovation and that meddling new head coach that kept making us better and screwing up my seating situation. So I got relegated back to 21stish row but the row had like 6 inches of knee space. Kung Wu had thighs like watermelons back then so that wasn't gonna work. We moved to our new seats after trying some others and never looked back!! SHOUT OUT TO MY SECTION 114 HOMIES!!

Oh yeah the 90s. Flicker was still here. Cedar was still here. Nirvana was a kick ass band. They used to fly a blimp around the stadium dropping sh** on us for poop sakes!! Other than walking away with a lot of losses how could you not love the 90s?
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• I'd look it up but can't remember players names. It seems as though some saw as much action in the court of law as the basketball court.
                    If you were in any extra curricular activities Cohen & Thompson were both there begging for attendance.
                    Phi Alpha

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxilla View Post
                      I remember sitting in Harrah's Reno sports book on a Saturday morning watching a Cohen WSU team end the first half by only scoring about 15 pts. Me being the eternal optimist, I'm thinking to myself "just wait and the second half will be different". All of a sudden this old gray-haired dude stands up, about 3 rows in front of me, and slams down his newspaper and storms out of the sports book saying "That's the worst GD excuse for a basketball team I've ever seen".
                      I was stunned (and slightly insulted) and he, after I watched the second half, was right.
                      I moved the line in Vegas with a $30 bet on the Shockers vs VCU in the Cessna Classic. Shox giving 3. After my bet, the line was 3.5. Shox won by 20.
                      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• A winter coat is a major infraction of NCAA rules.

These posts are some funny sh*t. Lmao.

Nice pics of the facilities.

You can't make this stuff up.

By the way, aw never mind. One of our players had serious medicine issues. Probably more than one.

The golden years.
                        "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• I remember back in the 90's, if you were under 18, you could get any ticket for $5. We would walk up 10 minutes before a game and get a seat 5 rows from the court. Just like everyone else, I remember the dungeon-like bathrooms. I remember watching the road games on Channel 10, it seemed like we lost everyone of those by 30 points. I remember watching other games on tv, and hearing fans chant "NIT" at the visiting team when they were losing and thinking that I'd kill just to see the Shockers play in the NIT. I wasn't really old enough to remember the good days of the 80's, so all I knew was the Shockers sucking. It is really gratifying to stick with a team and see them become elite. Who among us in the '90s could have imagined that we'd ever see a run like the past few years?

Comment

• Another one: Does anyone remember Billy Tubbs flipping off the crowd during the Cessna Classic, probably 1996? I believe he was coaching TCU and they were playing someone before the Shockers game. I was sitting about 10 rows behind their bench and the crowd was hanging it on Tubbs. I remember him turning around and telling us all to F-off and flipping us off.

Comment

• My undergrad years were 95-98 so I know what bad ball looks and feels like. For someone reason the bottom seemed to have occurred during home game vs N. Illinois where we're down by 30 before halftime. That is the only time I ever left at halftime.

I recall players like Jerry Stewart, some little white guard by the first name of John (last name escapes me) from Chicago-land that was a poorman's Will Sprandling, Flowers another Windy City recruit, and the list of marginal talent goes on...

As long as we maintain a financial commitment I don't think we'll ever drop to those depths but the apathy of yesteryear sure does make these times all the better.

Comment

• Originally posted by cjp27 View Post
                                I remember back in the 90's, if you were under 18, you could get any ticket for $5. We would walk up 10 minutes before a game and get a seat 5 rows from the court. Just like everyone else, I remember the dungeon-like bathrooms. I remember watching the road games on Channel 10, it seemed like we lost everyone of those by 30 points. I remember watching other games on tv, and hearing fans chant "NIT" at the visiting team when they were losing and thinking that I'd kill just to see the Shockers play in the NIT. I wasn't really old enough to remember the good days of the 80's, so all I knew was the Shockers sucking. It is really gratifying to stick with a team and see them become elite. Who among us in the '90s could have imagined that we'd ever see a run like the past few years?
                                that garbage was on Channel 10. Today's greatness struggles to be seen.
                                Phi Alpha

Comment

Working...
                                X