Tell me about the dark days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    They used to fly a blimp around the stadium dropping sh** on us for poop sakes!!
    I think Drake still does this. I remember noticing it on TV last year but I don't remember it this year. A quick google search confirms recent existence but not necessarily this season.

That was so pathetic to watch when I was there. Just sad.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxilla View Post
      Dear Mr. Rosewood,
      Genius Thread
      Thank you - I blame being sick and all the drugs. I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to educate me and others on the past and tell great stories and go into the history of male urination in regards to Shocker Basketball.

Comment

• I remember the Herrs/elstun combo thinking...
        Oh wow ryan Herrs is from Mcpherson theyre totally kick ass we'll win for sure!

Then years later being told he was coaching and his accoloades were "played at WSU"

Nothing against his coaching ability they are totally unrelated to his playing ability

Comment

• I have to come in a second time.I was a season ticket holder in the early 80s before my kids started playing their own stuff,so I saw some pretty good hoops. Later, in the Cohen/Thompson/Smithson era, I frequently got tickets just from friends who called and offered. One night, I seriously was offered 16 tickets by people too depressed to go.

Comment

• I remember a game in the 90's (I think) against New Mexico or New Mexico State. It was blizzardy and very very cold , walked to the roundhouse from the Cessna Stadium parking lot through the cold and snow with my seatback (bench seats then), lost by 30, back to the car through snow and cold, left my seatback, game was on TV. I am such a stud of a fan.

Edit: Crap, when I look it up it was January 1977 and we lost by 22. Missed it by that much.
            Last edited by St. Teddy; March 12, 2014, 09:36 AM.

Comment

• I believe the white guy mentioned above from Chicago was Jon Kleidon. I believe he was only here one here before he had enough of Randy. I always thought he was very talented and had the potential to be a pretty good ballplayer. If my memory is correct, he transferred to Buffalo to continue playing ball...

Comment

• This thread must have given Bob Lutz an idea for his latest blog: http://blogs.kansas.com/lutz/

Remember the days it seemed like Lutz's article always seemed to coincide with Shockernet discussions? He was constantly being accused of fishing this board for new material.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  This thread must have given Bob Lutz an idea for his latest blog: http://blogs.kansas.com/lutz/
                  Remember the days it seemed like Lutz's article always seemed to coincide with Shockernet discussions? He was constantly being accused of fishing this board for new material.
                  I messaged him on Facebook saying I'd love an article looking back at the dark days. After I sent it I realized that y'all could give me all the information I could possibly want. Thus I started this thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post
                    I remember the Herrs/elstun combo thinking...
                    Oh wow ryan Herrs is from Mcpherson theyre totally kick ass we'll win for sure!

Then years later being told he was coaching and his accoloades were "played at WSU"

Nothing against his coaching ability they are totally unrelated to his playing ability
                    I remember thinking that Elstun and Herrs were good gets when I was a kid which probably says more about the quality of Scott Thompson's recruiting than anything.

Did they both transfer out when Randy Smithson was hired?
                    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                    -John Wooden

Comment

• Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                      I remember thinking that Elstun and Herrs were good gets when I was a kid which probably says more about the quality of Scott Thompson's recruiting than anything.

Did they both transfer out when Randy Smithson was hired?
                      I thought they both stayed 4 years.

Edit.. Chad transferred to North Texas

Judging by Chads LinkedIn page.. He hasnt aged a bit

Comment

• Lived in Fairmount North on the 3rd (all male...ugh) floor with John and Boo in fall of '91. Let's just say there was plenty of activity that semester. Boo was the fastest talker I have ever encountered.

Pretty sure that I still have pictures of Rick "Air Conn" playing 3 Man at the fraternity house with us.

How about Kamau Alexander?

Cohen had a son in a fraternity and we really didn't hold back.

During Thompson's time, he came to the fraternity to talk about attending games. One of our brothers ended up on the team as a walk on.

I remember playing Florida at Leavitt and being in fron of the student section...without many behind us. Gave some guy named "Pavlic" or something close to it an earful all night.

I remember Randy saying that Westgeest was like Tony Kukoc and that Mahnord played "with his elbows above the rim" You still can't convince me that he ever saw them play before they got here. Watching Mahnord at K-State was PAINFUL. When Randy threw Mo out of practice, I believe he also threw one of the assistants out as well.

Not to go too far off here, but I also remember Team A and Team B, pre-ISASO asking for new username suggestions, Wraggs and a few others that made the old board great when the team was terrible.

Thanks for the memories. The Flicker and the Cedar were regular stops for me in college, along with the Y-Not and the Field House. I do remember calling the Cedar to gather everyone for one Senior night, but I don't remember which one. The team was so bad I think we all decided the Cedar would better than SR Night.

Comment

• Originally posted by hardyhar View Post
                          I believe the white guy mentioned above from Chicago was Jon Kleidon. I believe he was only here one here before he had enough of Randy. I always thought he was very talented and had the potential to be a pretty good ballplayer. If my memory is correct, he transferred to Buffalo to continue playing ball...
                          That's him. Except I recall a pretty unathletic, undersized player who couldn't guard a lick and was simply a spot up shooter. He got playing time as a freshman.

Now imagine if you will a current player gaining significant minutes end up transferring out to Buffalo. How times have changed.

Comment

• Originally posted by cjp27 View Post
                            Another one: Does anyone remember Billy Tubbs flipping off the crowd during the Cessna Classic, probably 1996? I believe he was coaching TCU and they were playing someone before the Shockers game. I was sitting about 10 rows behind their bench and the crowd was hanging it on Tubbs. I remember him turning around and telling us all to F-off and flipping us off.
                            OMG Yes. TCU lost to VCU in the first round of the Cessna Classic and had to play in the consolation game prior to the WSU game. Toward the end of the game, the arena was filling up with WSU fans for our game as TCU was blowing Sam Houston State out of the water. My (now) wife and I, as well as several other students got there early and watched both games in order to sit up close. The game was boring - but sitting in the front row and giving Tubbs crap made up for it. To get back at fans for heckling him, he called several time outs to delay the tipoff of the WSU game. He made a point not to talk to his team during these timeouts, he just stood there with a smirk on his face as the fans booed him. It also pissed off Sam Houston State's coach, but since when was Billy concerned about class? I couldn't help but laugh. This was classic Tubbs.

Comment

• "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Working...
                              X