Tell me about the dark days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
    I'll be here after your class gets out. I'd love to know more about the violations and transfers.
    I don't know if it was posted, but Wichita State had Antoine Carr, Cliff Levingston, X, Aubry Sherrod, and Greg Drieling. KU was pissed that WSU was getting the recruits from Wichita that they thought they deserved, and had the NCAA (based in KC at that time) conduct an investigation. They found improper benefits given to WSU basketball players. Here are some articles about that. http://www.nytimes.com/1982/02/10/sp...ita-state.html

The "recovery"

Fogler, who refuses to comment on the Smithson regime, has also changed the type of player WSU has recruited. The Shockers, who had back-to-back Academic All-Americans in Jamie Thompson and Ron Mendell in the `60s, had a low graduation rate under Smithson and his predecessor, Harry Miller. Fogler hopes to change that. He signed four players last month and just lost out on top 25 prospect Mike Maddox, whose father played football and basketball at WSU. He went to Kansas.
    Then, Mike Cohen was hired in 1989 after Fogler left to coach Vandy.
    Get this The Salina Journal page for free from Thursday, April 6, 1989 The Salina Journal Sports Thursday, April 6,1989 13 Cohen new WSU basketball coach Shockers promote .... Edition of The Salina Journal

After working 25 years for the opportunity to become a college basketball head coach, Mike Cohen had trouble putting his feelings into words Wednesday after being introduced as Wichita State University's new head coach. Cohen, who turns 46 on April 26, has spent the last three years as a Shocker assistant under Eddie Fogler. He was promoted exactly one week after Fogler resigned to become head coach at Vanderbilt University. The fulfillment of this 25-year coaching journey, which began at a New Jersey junior high school, forced Cohen to pause several .times to fight back tears and clear his quiver- Ing voice during an afternoon press conference in Levitt Arena

"Having been in the city for three years, I understand the magnitude of the importance of •Wichita State basketball not only to the university, but to the city itself," Cohen said. "I have grown to feel like a native Wichitan and I "understand the importance of this job.
    "Life is ironic," Cohen added. "Four years ago to this day, my father passed away. I'm not crying because of that, I'm just saying it's amazing how one day is so bad and four years •later it couldn't get any better.'' '.
    Upon announcing his move to Vanderbilt, Fogler endorsed Cohen as his successor. ;
    "I can't thank Eddie enough for mag- Mike Cohen's career The coaching career of Mike Cohen, who Wednesday was named head basketball coach at Wichita State University: 1986-89
    Mike Cohen was introduced Wednesday as the new head basketball coach at Wichita State University. nanimously promoting me and recommending me for this job," Cohen said. "Eddie is a dear friend who has given Wichita three great years. I inherit a very respected program throughout the country. I'm very proud of that and I look forward to the challenge.''
    "Quite frankly, there was no other candidate," WSU athletic director Tom Shupe said. "He's the right person for this job. He's the right person for a lot of reasons. "Mike Cohen deserves this opportunity because he's earned it. He's a blue-collar kind of guy who has come up through the ranks. He's coached in high school, he's coached Division III, he's coached Division I. He's been associated with institutions that have academic awareness high on their lists. All of those things are very positive."
    Cohen, who signed a four-year contract at $70,000 per year, also had the support of the returning Wichita State players.
    "We lobbied for him quite a bit," said Phil Mendelson, a 6-11 forward from Grand Junction, Colo., who will be a sophomore next year. "He's a great person and I think he deserves a chance to be a head coach. He's been working at it for a long time and we're happy for him.'' Cohen is a native of Newark, N. J., and a 1964 graduate of Seton Hall University. Before joining Fogler's Shocker staff, Cohen spent five years as an assistant at George Washington University and five years as an assistant at Montclair State College in New Jersey.
    "There's no silver spoon in his career... what he got, he's earned," Shupe said. "I think he's going to continue to earn that respect and do the job for us."
    The transplanted New Jersey native said he hopes to make Wichita his permanent residence. "I don't envision ever leaving Wichita State," Cohen said. "There's nothing I can not attain here career-wise or basketball-wise. The resources supplied by the university are second to none.
    "I love Wichita, Kansas. I fell in love with Wichita the first day I arrived here," said Cohen, who was joined at the press conference by his wife, Ann, whom he met in Wichita, their two sons and his sister from New Jersey. "Eddie Fogler would not let me accept the job until I came to see Wichita, and I was not in town more than 30 minutes when I turned to Eddie and said, 'I would like to take the job you have offered.' "I can't believe it's me standing up here. Wichita has given me my life, my wife and now a career." Cohen said there are some differences between his coaching philosophy and that of are "excited about coming" to WSU. He said he will continue recruiting efforts today in preparation for next Wednesday's national signing date.
    The new Shocker coach already has begun putting together a staff. Cohen said his top assistant will be Tom McCorry, currently an assistant at Niagara University. The two have been friends for more than 20 years, first becoming acquainted while rival coaches at New Jersey state colleges. McCorry has been a head coach at Trenton State College and also served as an assistant at James Madison University, Boston University and Northeastern University. Cohen also has offered a job to Rick Duckett, a three-year part-tune coach on Fogler's WSU staff. Duckett is a candidate for a coaching job at another school, Cohen said, and is considering the offer.
    Scott Thompson, who guided Rice's basketball team to its first 20-victory season since 1953-54, resigned to take the head coaching job at Wichita State Monday night.

HOUSTON — Scott Thompson, who guided Rice's basketball team to its first 20-victory season since 1953-54, resigned to take the head coaching job at Wichita State Monday night.Houston television station KHOU reported Thompson, 37, was signing a five-year deal at Wichita worth between $1.5 million and $2 million.

At Wichita State, Thompson replaces Mike Cohen, who resigned after compiling a 32-56 record in three seasons and losing 20 games this year, a school single-season record for losses.
    Thompson led Rice to a 20-11 mark this season. Through five seasons with Thompson, Rice was 65-79.
    "I told the guys the program will go on with or without Scott Thompson," he said. "The hard part is that I feel we will be good in years to come, and I still love Rice."
    Nevada Las Vegas and Oregon had sought to talk with Thompson.
    Representatives of former North Carolina State coach Jim Valvano were negotiating Wednesday night with Wichita State officials who hope to hire Valvano as the school's basketball coach.

[quote]WICHITA, Kan. — Representatives of former North Carolina State coach Jim Valvano were negotiating Wednesday night with Wichita State officials who hope to hire Valvano as the school's basketball coach.
    Valvano's attorney, Woody Webb of Raleigh, N.C., said the former coach's agent was in contact with Wichita repeatedly Wednesday by phone and fax machine.

"They are considering a very attractive offer," Webb said of Valvano and his wife. "I do know that they are moving as expeditiously as they can on this and they hope to have some resolution by the weekend."
    He said a decision could be reached as early as this morning.
    Warren Armstrong, Wichita State president, said Wednesday there's no deal yet and it may be a week or more before a coach is named. He said his goal still is to have a coach before the NCAA tournament ends April 6.
    Valvano wasn't available for comment Wednesday.
    Valvano resigned under pressure from North Carolina State after the 1990 season and is in the second year of a three-year, $900,000 contract with ESPN. He had a 209-114 record at N.C. State, including a national championship in 1983.
    Wichita State is looking to replace Mike Cohen, who resigned last month, effective the end of the season. Cohen had a 32-56 record in three seasons.[/url]
    Then Smithson/Evans

About the cheating:
    Did you miss the first three in the cheating series? Part 1, 25-21 | Part 2, 20-16 | Part 3, 15-12 Are you ready for this? Great stuff up for this week. My God, if cheating was art these are...

9: Wichita State University- 7 Major Infractions

Welcome the Cheating Hall of Fame, the schools with 7 or more infractions. We start our jaunt into greatness with the Wichita State Shockers, who prove you don’t need no stinkin football program to cheat with the best of em. The Shockers have stared down the barrel of the infractions committee 7 times, starting back in 1956. That year their mens basketball program was busted for transporting recruits from their home to the campus, resulting in a public reprimand. Weak. On to 1958, where the football team (yup, they had a football team for a while) was found to have paid players. Money was funneled to the players through the Downtown Quarterback Club of Wichita, resulting in around $10,000 in cash and tuition payments. Now, usually this gets a team a pimp hand from the NCAA, but someone associated with WSU took a shot in the mouth and they only received one year of probation. In 1963 the basketball team used a professional talent scout, received another public reprimand. Again, weak. Finally, in 1968 WSU popped it’s cheating cherry legitimately. It was determined that the football coach and several of his assistants provided cash, airfare for vacations, clothes, lodging, and improper entertainment (no hookers, just movies). All of these violations and another 23 secondary violations resulted in a 3 year TV ban, a two year postseason ban, and two years of probation. Shocking. Now that their toes are wet the basketball team decided to get some. In 1974 the bball team was busted for improper financial aid, improper recruiting (another scout), improper transportation (drove a kid to his summer job), and academic fraud (falsified a high school transcript for a kid). All of this added up to a two year TV ban, postseason ban, and probation extension. The basketball team was back at it in 1982 when it was determined they provided improper entertainment, extra financial aid, transportation to tryouts and illegal inducements, unethical conduct, and they falsified a certificate of compliance. Another one year postseason ban, 3 more years probation, and reduction of scholarships for two years. Finally the football team had a last ride of sorts in 1983 going out with improper recruit contact, entertainment, exceeding coaching staff limits, unethical conduct, and falsified a certificate of compliance. Another triple double (2 years tv and postseason ban and 2 years probation) and the beginning of the end for Shocker football, as the university dropped the sport in 1986.
    7) Wichita State Baseball and Basketball — Major Infractions: 7 Wichita State’s baseball and basketball programs have flourished, largely because they can cheat with the big boys. The baseball program has been one of the most successful in recent history, winning the 1989 College World Series and finishing second in 1982, 1991, and 1993. The basketball program reached the Final Four in 1965, Elite Eight in 1981 and Sweet Sixteen in 2006. Of the seven infractions, mentioned here, my favorite involved the basketball team getting punted out of any tournaments after the Elite Eight run in 1981. Seems that the following year, WSU got caught handing out cash payments and and freebie airline tickets. The best part, at the time the penalties were imposed, Wichita State led the NCAA in major infractions. Suck on that, big boys.

There you go @Rosewood. The legend is that KU had some people on the inside of the NCAA when KU requested that they look into WSU. Greg Dreiling transferred to KU, which I think is the WSU commit that pissed off KU. As soon as WSU wins a head to head with KU, look for the probes. It happened with Maurice, it would have happened with Perry (thank God it didn't work out), and if WSU gets any head to head with KU in the future, the probes will happen then.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• An article from the Lawrence paper on the Evans investigation. It claims it was another "high-level" program, not KU. Hence the OSU speculation.

Comment

• about Greg Dreiling. Truth is we had thoroughbreds along the front line and Greg was more of a plodder. He had expected to start at center and was coming off the bench. But mostly I believe he left because his girlfriend was at KU. I think he made the best decision for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
          An article from the Lawrence paper on the Evans investigation. It claims it was another "high-level" program, not KU. Hence the OSU speculation.
          yeah, sure. It's what I'd expect the NCAA in KC to say, especially to a Lawrence newspaper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fuente 858 View Post
            about Greg Dreiling. Truth is we had thoroughbreds along the front line and Greg was more of a plodder. He had expected to start at center and was coming off the bench. But mostly I believe he left because his girlfriend was at KU. I think he made the best decision for him.
            He did have a girlfriend at KU and states that's the reason for the transfer, which I believe. However, I do think KU launched the NCAA investigation due to "recruitment envy" at the time; that's the investigation that led to Smithson's firing, even though he was "clean".

Comment

• I remember KU finally agreeing to a home and home, and beating the heck out of us. It was very hard to take. One reason why I hate them so much.

Comment

• Thank goodness those days did finally come to an end.

Comment

• What I remember most is we lost to Drake in the last game of the season. That was the beginning of the end. I had never known anything except creaming them. And I remember being in shock. I was just a kid. But I remember the Shocks sucking from that moment.
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
                    Are you sure that last one isn't from bishop Carroll ?
                    I somehow avoided using the restrooms at Carroll for all four of my years there and I'm still suffering digestive issues because of it. Totally worth it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Royalno5 View Post
                      I remember KU finally agreeing to a home and home, and beating the heck out of us. It was very hard to take. One reason why I hate them so much.
                      Kinda depends on how you define "home and home". We played in Lawrence and lost, we played in KC twice and lost both, and we played in Wichita and won. Probably why they don't want a "true" home and home now!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Therapy View Post
                        I somehow avoided using the restrooms at Carroll for all four of my years there and I'm still suffering digestive issues because of it. Totally worth it.
                        One time. Still traumatized.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                          Words
                          Thank you - this is exactly the type of deep dive I was looking for. I'm half expecting that someone digs the past violation stuff up with the recent baseball stuff and writes a hack of article. But you can't run from the past. This is great to know.

Comment

• I remember getting blown out at Syracuse so bad they actually lut Paul Wight in and the whole team busted out laughing
                            :(

Comment

• If I remember correctly...Mike Cohen cancelling a HOME game to play on the road so his team could get more road experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                It was Larry Callis that played with the cast, and later Darren Miller also did. It was hilarious that not only was Miller wearing a cast, but he was a center and shooting 3's with it.
                                Although earlier...I remember Richard Morsden playing with a mask on to guard his broken nose.

Comment

Working...
                                X