No announcement yet.

Tell me about the dark days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since the dark days ended (with the hiring of Mark Turgeon in 2000), our record is: 301-160, 155-97 in conference. In 14 years we've had two loosing seasons (MT and GMs first year), two .500 seasons (MT and GMs second year), 10 winning seasons, eight 20 win seasons, two 30 win seasons, three MVC Championships, 5 NITs, 1 NIT championship, 4 NCAA births (one upcoming), 2 Sweet 16s, 1 Elite 8, 1 Final Four. Gregg Marshall has won 25+ games each of the past five years and averages 29 wins per season over that span. He has an 81% winning percentage since the 08-09 season. Over the past 4 years HCGM has won 27+ games per season and averages 30 wins!!!
    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Speed View Post
      I might also add that while WSU was a travesty not seen in today's deflated Valley, WSU still had fan support.
      The old people that catch grief now, supported WSU through horrible times. Its something I absolutely wouldn't do as a student.
      Now Valley teams play for empty barns until they get the WSU Superbowl. At its worse, WSU still got 7000.
      Yes, you are so right about he 7,000. Hence, Coach Smithson's term for the 7,000 - Stallworth's Faithful.

Gawd, those were dreary days and I believe I saw every game right down to the last second. At time, I believed that true fans stayed, until the game was over. It was some kind of badge of honor for me. It was also some kind of self inflicted pain and brain damage. Now you know why I tork funny.
      "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by ISASO View Post
        I tell my two sons to lock this in their memory banks and never forget it because it won't always be this good.
        As one who lived thru the good days, the not so good days, the great days, the dark days, and now back to the great days, I am more optimistic that these days, while perhaps not always this good, will NEVER slip back to the dark days again!

Comment

• Another memory that popped in my head is the Coaches Show with Scott Thompson.

It seems like he was perpetually late. Kennedy would put on a happy face and kill time but you could tell he was getting a little irritated.

I got the impression Thompson shows up with his hair a mess, sweating, with a tie undone and a rumpled shirt.

All I remember Thompson saying, was, "umm . . . Mike . . . we just aren't very good right now." I bet I heard him say that a dozen times or more.

Comment

• Here is what Scott Thompson is up to nowadays, if anyone is interested.

I am happy for him. We knew him through church and he was one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
              Here is what Scott Thompson is up to nowadays, if anyone is interested.

I am happy for him. We knew him through church and he was one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.
              Thanks for passing that along. Looks like he found a great fit. Still baffling it didn't work at WSU. Seemed like a great hire.

Comment

• Originally posted by H8KU View Post
                OMG Yes. TCU lost to VCU in the first round of the Cessna Classic and had to play in the consolation game prior to the WSU game. Toward the end of the game, the arena was filling up with WSU fans for our game as TCU was blowing Sam Houston State out of the water. My (now) wife and I, as well as several other students got there early and watched both games in order to sit up close. The game was boring - but sitting in the front row and giving Tubbs crap made up for it. To get back at fans for heckling him, he called several time outs to delay the tipoff of the WSU game. He made a point not to talk to his team during these timeouts, he just stood there with a smirk on his face as the fans booed him. It also pissed off Sam Houston State's coach, but since when was Billy concerned about class? I couldn't help but laugh. This was classic Tubbs.
                I was at Tubbs ' last OU game in the Big 8 Tournament when Piatkowski gassed him for over 40...the crowd ripped him then, as well.....total clown.

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                  Here is what Scott Thompson is up to nowadays, if anyone is interested.

Coach Thompson has been at Cornell for a very long time. When he first joined the university, I believe he was the men's head baskeball coach.
                  Last edited by Ricardo del Rio; March 16, 2014, 11:46 AM.
                  "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Woke up today and then it hit me..

Today we won't be watching to see "if the Shox make it into the tournament"

We are a freaking NUMBER 1 SEED

say it 5 times. Wipe away the tears of joy. and enjoy the ride.. Remember to cherish each moment for this is what memories are made of

Comment

• Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post
                      Woke up today and then it hit me..

Today we won't be watching to see "if the Shox make it into the tournament"

We are a freaking NUMBER 1 SEED

say it 5 times. Wipe away the tears of joy. and enjoy the ride.. Remember to cherish each moment for this is what memories are made of
                      When was the last time we were an auto-qualifier?
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                          When was the last time we were an auto-qualifier?
                          I believe it was back in 1987, where we entered the tournament as an 11th seed and lost to 6th-seeded St. Johns by a score of 57-55.

Comment

• Originally posted by ciaomichael View Post
                            I believe it was back in 1987, where we entered the tournament as an 11th seed and lost to 6th-seeded St. Johns by a score of 57-55.
                            Freaking Marco Baldi. Kind of like that walk-on for Louisville last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                              Get Chicago news and Illinois news from The Chicago Tribune

"I don`t want to follow Dean Smith. The guy who follows Dean Smith is not going to be very successful. He may win a lot of games, but he won`t be very successful. I don`t want to follow Dean. I`ve got more common sense than that." Eddie Folger
                              Man was right and he knew it way back in the 80's
                              "Valley-shaking, nation-waking 29-game win streak." - Paul Suellentrop, The Wichita Eagle

Comment

• I'm really glad we had this thread because it really helped give me perspective today. As I heard people whine about the bracket I wondered "If I had a time machine and went back to 1999 and I told people "Don't ****ing worry about Y2K!" also "Buy Apple stock!" but finally I asked "What if I told you WSU would be a #1 seed but they would have to play some very good teams for a chance a the final four?" how quickly would I be arrested and shipped off to Larned?

Comment

Working...
                                X