No announcement yet.

Tell me about the dark days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one more thing on the burgers story. Rick gathered up 3 game tickets and when we went to Wendy's the next day, he made his a triple.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuente 858 View Post
      one more thing on the burgers story. Rick gathered up 3 game tickets and when we went to Wendy's the next day, he made his a triple.
      I rmember going to a holiday tourney in Wichita, I think it was the "McDonald's Classic", and wondering if we still got Wendy's burgers when we hit 100.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
        The probation was for violations at the end of Harry Miller's tenure (1976-78)- not for anything that occurred on Gene's watch. Here is the 1982 AP article detailing it.
        Thank you. An OFTEN overlooked fact when this discussion comes up. No penalties came from anything to do with Antoine, Cliff, X et al. NONE, although admittedly WSU did in fact cheat during those days. We simply out bid some other schools (cough ku cough).

Of course, cash payments to players from Doug Compton with the FULL knowledge of and in many cases handed out by HCLB get NO ncaa attention.

Yeah, I'm not still pissed.

Comment

Reading through all this is cathartic.

I was a freshman during the 1994-1995 season, but I had gone to games as a kid since the mid-80's. I knew we had way too much support and tradition to stay down, but I had no idea it would last that long.

For all of Randy Smithson's faults, he really did provide some hope for Shocker fans who knew what the potential was at Wichita State.
          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
          -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
            Man, starting this reminiscing has really opened some suppressed memories! Paul Wight as center...Valvano as a possible HC...seems I recall Valvano mentioning somewhere he had some back pain on his initial visit to WSU, but thought little of it. Great guy, but glad we didn't hire him. Jason Perez was/is a true superstar... could've been a household name had he played in a different scenario. I still admire him for sticking to his WSU commitment. If you think we FANS had it tough, those few really great players deserve ALL our respect and admiration!
            he wanted the job. he was on record as saying he thought he could win a national championship here (that would make him a member of team b). the problem was, his new york wife didn't want anything to do with wichita, kansas. she nixed it. rip jim valvano

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
              Reading through all this is cathartic.

I was a freshman during the 1994-1995 season, but I had gone to games as a kid since the mid-80's. I knew we had way too much support and tradition to stay down, but I had no idea it would last that long.

For all of Randy Smithson's faults, he really did provide some hope for Shocker fans who knew what the potential was at Wichita State.
              The Smithson hire, along with Evans and Williams signing on gave me hope too. That hope vanished as soon as I heard Randy being interviewed on the radio.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                Of course, cash payments to players from Doug Compton with the FULL knowledge of and in many cases handed out by HCLB get NO ncaa attention.
                Roger Morningstar and Dana and David Pump told me it absolutely ended with HCLB.
                "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                  The Smithson hire, along with Evans and Williams signing on gave me hope too. That hope vanished as soon as I heard Randy being interviewed on the radio.
                  Randy was actually a successful JuCo coach at the time; he and Steve Eck were tossed about as possibilities at WSU, although I'm not sure how seriously they considered Eck. Turns out they both were similar in their approach to coaching; too close to Bobby Knight's approach. Degrading players doesn't always motivate them...

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    Near the end of the pre-Roundhouse Renaissance years I don't recall peeing in a trough. There were rows of tall porcelain urinals with the drains at floor level (albeit well below ground level). Towards the end their was some kind of gray slime backing up out of some of the urinals at the far end of the restroom I usually frequented. Not sure how may upchuck episodes that triggered. The solution, however, was that the just closed those urinals off buy building a Masonite cover over them, which maybe was the best solution. Bottom line it was gross.
                    This thread is screaming for visuals…

What we had:

RDR; Never a #2
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Are you sure that last one isn't from bishop Carroll ?

Comment

• I really didn't have an understanding just how bad the basketball had gotten in the late 80s & 90s because I never played basketball thus I didn’t paid much attention to the sport until I was done with my baseball "career." I use the word "career" loosely played one year of juco. Being consumed with baseball most of my life I always looked at WSU as a baseball school and when I started going to WSU, ’98-‘01, most of the student focus was on baseball and basketball was pretty much an afterthought. At that time I had lost my passion for baseball and started following basketball. I can still remember the strange looks I'd get when I'd ask a fraternity brother if they wanted to go to a basketball with me. Smithson really didn't pander to the student body.
                        Once Turg was hired he sent out his assistant coaches to 'recruit' students to come to the games. I think it was coach Rohn that stop by the house to get us 'fired up' about the basketball team plus that’s when they started making ticket free to students. I went to most of the games during Turg's first year and some the next year mainly b/c I graduated in December then moved out of town. When I visited I'd always try to catch a game at the round house or the Coliseum. Once I moved back in '04 I went to all the games and I've been season ticket holder since '05. I have been enjoying the ride ever since.
                        Last edited by ShoxFan7; March 11, 2014, 04:18 PM.
                        If you're not going to go all the way, why go?

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          I still maintain that the Roundhouse Renaissance was the most important factor in getting our athletic program heading in the right direction making it possible not only to attract quality coaches but providing those coaches with a real jewel to show off to recruits. Let's hope we have learned our lesson. As @PlayAngry: stated our program was beyond flat broke back then and it took us a decade + to dig out of the financial hole create by our under-supported and under-funded football program.
                          The day that Charles Koch 'invested' was the day I knew the sleeping giant would soon awaken; Schaus had an investment plan and Charles participated. Hopefully President Bardo has anther plan to present to Charles. $100MM would be pocket change to someone worth nearly $40B.

Comment

• BTW, I believe they still have pee troughs in the men's rooms at Cessna Stadium if anyone is interested in reminiscing in that regards (as Steve Shogren would say).

Comment

• SANY0560.jpg

What I remember!
                              I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
                              If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                                The restrooms were just as bad as anyone could imagine.

I could muster through a pee, but I always worried that if a #2 was necessary, I would have to leave the arena.
                                I recall that many of the 'rusted' and 'busted' stall doors had been removed and on a couple of occasions, some poor soul was taking a #2 in a doorless toilet. :culpability:

"Those were the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end..."

Comment

Working...
                                X