Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    Link please?

Chances to make a 3...20%? 15%? I think that's low, but let's go with that.

Chance to make 1st FT? 75%? MAYBE? That's high, but let's go with that.

Have to miss the next one. I'll give in and say that's 100% (even though it's not) but you have to hit the rim too...I'll give you 95%.

THEN you have to get the rebound. I'll give you 40% and that's WAY too high.

Then you have to score. Again, I'll give you 40% and that's WAY too high.

All of those have to happen to equal a made 3 at 15% but it's less than 12% and that's using favorable numbers.
    When inbounding the ball with about seven seconds left the three point percentage was close to single digits. First, there is a good chance you can deny descent shooters the ball. Second, it is easy to defend the three when a two pointer is meaningless. I am looking for the link, but it is in blog. Standby.

Comment

• Per Sully's article, tonight was the largest comeback in Wichita State basketball history.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        Link please?

Chances to make a 3...20%? 15%? I think that's low, but let's go with that.

Chance to make 1st FT? 75%? MAYBE? That's high, but let's go with that.

Have to miss the next one. I'll give in and say that's 100% (even though it's not) but you have to hit the rim too...I'll give you 95%.

THEN you have to get the rebound. I'll give you 40% and that's WAY too high.

Then you have to score. Again, I'll give you 40% and that's WAY too high.

All of those have to happen to equal a made 3 at 15% but it's less than 12% and that's using favorable numbers.

Link as requested:

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/yet_another_study_about_fouling_when_up_3

The 3 point percentage was 16%....

Comment

• That was fun!

The remaining 14 games will not be a cakewalk.
          Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

• What an amazing win. This team has one hell of a lot of guts and soul to pull a win like this off after being so far behind a team that was playing very well.

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post
              I've seen this research, but I still like fouling because I feel like it places things in your control. You get the rebound, you win, whereas, 16% or not, the shot going in is out of your control. Sometimes the other team will get lucky. All the research tells you is that some teams can't get the rebound, or foul at the wrong time. I'd foul every time in that situation if I had WSU's team.

Comment

• I just got home from the game and here are a few of my thoughts:

I had a great seat near the court - I never saw a shred of panic in any of our guys. I told my cousin that we were going to win even when the Bears went up by 19. The guys were confident and amazing.

I was so proud to be part of ShockerNation tonight. We had a large and loud contingent. I got to meet a couple of Shockernetters too - it was awesome.

Note to MSU - if you (the fans) would show up and support your team like you did tonight - you could go undefeated at home the rest of the way. The Bear players were feeding off of the crowd and playing their tails off.

I thought Lusk did us a big favor by not playing Gavin much in the 2nd half

Hopefully, none of you listened to the "Bear Extra" postgame show. The guest commentator was obviously very drunk.

Comment

• Now that I've calmed down, great game Bears. I am so glad FVV drew the block late in the game, Scheer was definitely in flop mode. Fred hit the floor pretty hard. Curious to see how the flop tactic plays out the rest of the season.

The storyline to me is that we struggled all evening with the 3, had some key turnovers, missed some FT's (save CE). We struggled to get back only to lose ground here and there. Against all this, the Shox summoned the will to keep fighting and win. Hopefully this pays dividends in the future, other teams will never feel comfortable IF they get a lead. We're coming for you, can you stop us?

Comment

• I think we need to find a way to get Ron more shots and opportunities. I felt like we iced him out for much of the game. 15 points on five fg attempts is too efficient for my taste.

One more thing, less zone. I know HCGM likes to go there wehen multiple guys get two could in the first half, but it was so disorganized and ineffective that I think all this drama could have been avoided..

Comment

• Originally posted by JaminShock View Post
                      I've seen this research, but I still like fouling because I feel like it places things in your control. You get the rebound, you win, whereas, 16% or not, the shot going in is out of your control. Sometimes the other team will get lucky. All the research tells you is that some teams can't get the rebound, or foul at the wrong time. I'd foul every time in that situation if I had WSU's team.

That makes sense... My point was that the fouling strategy has failed to produce better results in college basketball games. Prior to my posts, others were acting like it was a no-brainer....

Comment

• Two things. both from the ESPN box:

1. The firm of Lufile, Carter, and Coleby played all 45 minutes (and exactly that), and collected 14 points, 12 boards, three blocks. and a steal. They also committed ten fouls -- nice to have a center who can do that and keep playing. That's more than serviceable on a team with the weapons WSU has at the other four positions.

2. Even apart from the inability to stop MSU in the first half (65% from the field and almost as good on threes), how do you make 18 field goals in 45 minutes, 5-22 from three, have your best foul shooter miss three times inside the last two minutes and overtime (one a potential game winner with less than 10 seconds left), and still win on the road against a respectable opponent superhyped to beat the #6 big boys? What a tribute it is to these players and this staff for them to be able to get down to business and do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
                          She was pissing me off all game
                          Keep in mind our "crazy lady". How we loved that lady who constantly leaned over the rail and screamed at the officials doing her best to lend her advise to the officials. She passed away some years ago, but we who remembered her loved what she brought to the Shocker excitement.

Comment

• Glad we won, but would like Baker to get more than 5 shots, since he seems to be feeling better. Was 3-5 today. Needs more shots.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoShox View Post
                              Glad we won, but would like Baker to get more than 5 shots, since he seems to be feeling better. Was 3-5 today. Needs more shots.
                              While I agree and was lamenting not getting more shots for Ron during the game, it should be noted that the last 8 minutes or so MSU was switching a lot of ball screens so we were clearing out, getting a big switched on to FVV, and driving. It was working, and I'm glad they kept going to it.

Comment

• Lead story on College Basketball Live now.

Comment

Working...
                                X