#6 WSU @ Missouri State Official Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShoxFan45 View Post
    I may be in the minority here, but I was thinking about this before the situation today... I do not at all like when we foul, up three, with a short amount of time remaining. I have seen Ruffin, Tatum, Tolliver, all make last second shots, yes. But unless we foul, the best the other team can do there is tie. With a made free throw and possible tip out.. a three could lose the game. Why give them the chance. And when the game comes down to a rebound, officials tend to swallow their whistles.. and a rebound becomes a scrum.. I don't know.

I know it has been discussed here before. But when we chose to foul, I kinda cringed. Then the almost tip in, the almost walk from Baker, loose ball. Gosh. Just rather take my chances.
    It's the right thing to do, period. Just look at the math.

Comment

• It says that our hightlights are coming up again on SC, we'll see if it happens this time...

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
        How the crap did SWOMO get blown out by LuC? Not hitting their 3s ???
        They didn't defend (Loyolla shots 61% for game and 56% from 3pt), didn't hit their FT (they shot 52% for game). MSU had 6 assists while Loyolla had 20 and MSU got out-rebounded.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
          How the crap did SWOMO get blown out by LuC? Not hitting their 3s ???
          Yes. They were 4-20 from 3 in that game.

Edit: Plus what @SB Shock: said.
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
            Can someone enlighten me on the "U" thang.
            ESPN wraps school logos into a "U" that is used on ESPNU and other ESPN channels. There are some other Valley schools that have "U"s, but we don't. There's a whole thread on it:

Comment

• The last minute of regulation and the 5 minute overtime takes well over 30 minutes to play.

Comment

• In theory, WSU highlights will be coming up soon on Sportscenter on ESPN2.
                "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Originally posted by sdshox View Post
                  Anyone else hear the lady behind the TV guys? "Valley Officials are not Fair." LOL.
                  She was pissing me off all game

Comment

• Originally posted by chitown_shocker View Post
                    If you are playing the odds, you foul. This was explained well during the game. The odds say it is more difficult to 1. Make a free throw 2. Miss a free throw and get the board. 3. Make the follow.

It may always look like you came close to losing, but odds are better than a decent look at a three.
                    This isn't true. There are enough instances of this strategy and the non-fouling strategy to show a small advantage statistically to not fouling. I think Kenpom has the articles explaining why there is a misconception on this topic.

Comment

• Originally posted by sdshox View Post
                      Just went back through the statcrew log, looks like it was correct, although live stats from MoSt, which feeds ESPN, etc., did not accurately have the displays correct. If you look at the video, the stat-bug said "Bonus" instead of "Bonus+"...

Long story short, book and officials were right, all electronic stats were wrong. I'll reserve the sternly worded letter for later.
                      The people working the scoreboard were driving me crazy tonight b

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                        The last minute of regulation and the 5 minute overtime takes well over 30 minutes to play.
                        I know, right? I was recording the FVV horizontal move with 50 seconds left in regulation and thought "I'll just record the rest of regulation." 6 minutes later, I got tired of holding up my phone and had to stop!

Comment

• Originally posted by 150946shox View Post
                          I'm so ashamed of you.
                          You should be thanking me. I changed our mojo.

You did see that I was getting regular updates and didn't want to muck up that good mojo.

Now that my stomach isn't in knots, I've been able to thoroughly enjoy the last 10 minutes plus OT.....for a second time.

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post
                            This isn't true. There are enough instances of this strategy and the non-fouling strategy to show a small advantage statistically to not fouling. I think Kenpom has the articles explaining why there is a misconception on this topic.
                            I believe that there has been extensive analysis in the NBA that under a certain time remaining (I'm thinking 7 seconds) fouling is statistically advantageous. Whether differences in 3-point shooting percentages in the pros and college make that calculus different at the NCAA level, I don't know, but I think the evidence is pretty well established at the NBA level.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                              It's the right thing to do, period. Just look at the math.
                              People have and the math says not to foul. It is extremely difficult to make a three when the other team knows you need it. The shooting percentages have a remarkable drop in the late game situations. Unfortunately, out of the hundreds of games a day there may be a dagger three once every few weeks(which gets a ton of media coverage) that causes people to overestimate how likely the shooting team is to score.

As stated in another post there is historical data that backs this up. See kenpom...

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
                                The people working the scoreboard were driving me crazy tonight b
                                No doubt. That was some pathetic scoreboard work.

Comment

Working...
                                X