No announcement yet.

Gregg Marshall on the Jim Rome Show - Coming up NOW1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exactly Royal, and that is why I laugh when people simultaneously praise Marshall as a fearless leader and slam Bill Self as a gutless coward.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
      If you take one sentence of many paragraphs, you can change the WHOLE meaning.

Here is what he said:

If you look at the whole thing, you see what point he was trying to make. He wasn't saying "If I were the coach at KU or K-State", or if he was in the future. He said "IF I WERE BILL SELF or BRUCE WEBER"
      Interesting perspective Downtown Shocker Brown. In a message board world full of "you're a moron" responses, it is nice to see a thoughtful response like that. I'll have to admit seeing the full context like that makes me wonder what Marshall really was thinking. Now I'm just confused and uncertain what to think, but thanks anyway. I don't think I agree with you, but I apreciate your approach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
        If you take one sentence of many paragraphs, you can change the WHOLE meaning.

Here is what he said:

If you look at the whole thing, you see what point he was trying to make. He wasn't saying "If I were the coach at KU or K-State", or if he was in the future. He said "IF I WERE BILL SELF or BRUCE WEBER"
        I know people try to choose their words carefully, but I don't think he was being that careful or calculated. I don't think he meant to say, if he was not Gregg Marshall and was instead Bill Self or Bruce Weber, with all their personal characteristics. I find that more than a little far-fetched.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
          Exactly Royal, and that is why I laugh when people simultaneously praise Marshall as a fearless leader and slam Bill Self as a gutless coward.
          Laugh away, I guess b/c you still don't get it. How do you see this an inconsistent? As Dr Wu stated, isn't that hard to understand.

I think all of your RPI and schedule analysis is messing with yo mind. You are seriously over analyzing and fly specking his comment.
          Marshall is WSU's coach. Do we believe that he would play anyone, anywhere with a return trip? If yes, then end of discussion.
          Last edited by ABC; January 7, 2014, 02:29 PM. Reason: more enlightening stuff to add

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
            I don't think it's hard to understand. However, I don't agree, based on his public comments, he's calling Self and Weber cowards. As a coach at WSU, it would be good for the program to play KU and KSU. But he recognizes that if the table was turned, and he were the coach at KU/KSU, he would not see the same upside for those two programs to play us.

If you change your perspective, your view is likely to change, too.
            Do I think Self is a good coach, yes. Do I think he schedules up, yes, especially compared to most of his blue blood peers. Do I find that Self scheduling like he does and not scheduling WSU perplexing, yes. Do I think that Marshall put in the same situation would do the same, not necessarily. Please tell me just what is so more "nothing to gain, everything to lose" by not scheduling WSU compared to playing Davidson, Oregon St, New Mexico at the Sprint, playing a H/H with Colorado or SDSU?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
              Do I think Self is a good coach, yes. Do I think he schedules up, yes, especially compared to most of his blue blood peers. Do I find that Self scheduling like he does and not scheduling WSU perplexing, yes. Do I think that Marshall put in the same situation would do the same, not necessarily. Please tell me just what is so more "nothing to gain, everything to lose" by not scheduling WSU compared to playing Davidson, Oregon St, New Mexico at the Sprint, playing a H/H with Colorado or SDSU?
              Bingo....

and Utah next year...
              Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Simple, in-state perception. As HCGM stated, they don't wanna let the family know that little brother can now beat up big brother.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
                  Laugh away, I guess b/c you still don't get it. How do you see this an inconsistent? As Dr Wu stated, isn't that hard to understand.

I think all of your RPI and schedule analysis is messing with yo mind. You are seriously over analyzing and fly specking his comment.
                  Marshall is WSU's coach. Do we believe that he would play anyone, anywhere with a return trip? If yes, then end of discussion.
                  I am tempted to continue, but I see we aren't getting anywhere. Agree to disagree.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                    Marshall says "anywhere, anytime"
                    Marshall says "if at KU, I wouldn't play WSU"

There are 2 possibilities:

Marshall's "anywhere, anytime" stance is based on being at WSU and subject to change if he coached elsewhere.
                    or
                    He didn't really mean it about not playing WSU as KU's coach and he is a bold faced liar for intentionally misleading people in an attempt to win this "war of public perception" with KU.

I don't think Marshall is a liar as I think option #1 is the case, but explain to me how there is any other option besides these 2.
                    But I don't think it changes no matter where he coaches, just the options change. I don't think Marshall would play Alcorn State because of his "anywhere, anytime" stance. The problem with KU is they have ~350 different schools they can schedule to play them.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdmee View Post
                      But I don't think it changes no matter where he coaches, just the options change. I don't think Marshall would play Alcorn State because of his "anywhere, anytime" stance. The problem with KU is they have ~350 different schools they can schedule to play them.
                      Exactly 350, and there are only two that they refuse to play. Us and Mizzou.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        Simple, in-state perception. As HCGM stated, they don't wanna let the family know that little brother can now beat up big brother.
                        +1

I believe this is really the point of Marshall's comment: if he were Bill Self, knowing the sort of fan base Self has, he wouldn't want to risk having those fans confronted with the sight of WSU as an equal on the court, much less having taken the upper hand. That would not be good for the either the Self or the KU athletic administration, hence the avoidance.

Comment

The problem is Self has not been in Marshall's shoes and doesn't realize the difficulty we have in scheduling better opponents. Marshall will play anyone. With our recent success he has proven we deserve some respect for a home-and-home series.

Self, on the other hand, can schedule who he wants and, more often than not, will be able to play most opponents at home with no return visit--he has that luxury--as do many of the elites: We, at this point do not. I think our continued success will heighten this conflict more, but could turn the tables with others.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocksrbest View Post
                            The problem is Self has not been in Marshall's shoes and doesn't realize the difficulty we have in scheduling better opponents. Marshall will play anyone. With our recent success he has proven we deserve some respect for a home-and-home series.

Self, on the other hand, can schedule who he wants and, more often than not, will be able to play most opponents at home with no return visit--he has that luxury--as do many of the elites: We, at this point do not. I think our continued success will heighten this conflict more, but could turn the tables with others.
                            Oral Roberts and Tulsa. Not defending Self, just pointing out that he has...been in Gregg's shoes. Doesn't justify anything....

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                              +1

I believe this is really the point of Marshall's comment: if he were Bill Self, knowing the sort of fan base Self has, he wouldn't want to risk having those fans confronted with the sight of WSU as an equal on the court, much less having taken the upper hand. That would not be good for the either the Self or the KU athletic administration, hence the avoidance.
                              When Self talks about this, it is not Self doing the talking. It is just KU, speaking through him via the radio transmitter implanted in his head during his pre-employment physical at KU Med...

Comment

• HCGM can probably play whoever he wants, just not under the terms he wants. I for one, wouldn't mind one buy game a year if it were against a perennial powerhouse (UK, Duke, UNC, etc.). It would be a good test for our team, I'd like our chances to walk out with a win, and would be good exposure with the media. It would be interesting to see which teams would actually put their money where their mouth is.

Comment

Working...
                                X