Gregg Marshall on the Jim Rome Show - Coming up NOW1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
    I definitely agree with that. Maybe I'm just getting tired of that always being the question asked by the national media. It's like WSU doesn't deserve such a fantastic coach.

It will be asked for at least 5 more years...
    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
      From an outsider's perspective, I imagine the KU-WSU-UMKC thing appears reasonable.
      UMKC is in Missouri ;)

Comment

coach

Havent listened to the Rome interview yet,but I will. In regards about coach staying, I really feel that as long as we are relevent and are winning and continue to get top flight recruits, why would he leave. I dont think he feels he needs to be at a BCS school to be successful he has proved that he can do it here. The people who ask, acting like the grass is greener somewhere else really dont understand what a special place this is or the history of the program. The good thing is Marshall does.

Comment

Christ - I really thought the discussion of HCGM's future would finally die after the F4 last year. Maybe after a repeat this year.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
            As far as I know Lawrence and Manhattan are in Kansas. Last I checked UMKC was in Missouri.
            So that's why when they spell it out it's the University of MISSOURI-Kansas City. Thanks, pie -- a good reminder for those who comment first and think later.

Comment

Originally posted by vancedave56 View Post
              UMKC is in Missouri ;)
              some people will never get it.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                From an outsider's perspective, I imagine the KU-WSU-UMKC thing appears reasonable.
                agree

Comment

Originally posted by Blackmag View Post
                  Havent listened to the Rome interview yet,but I will. In regards about coach staying, I really feel that as long as we are relevent and are winning and continue to get top flight recruits, why would he leave. I dont think he feels he needs to be at a BCS school to be successful he has proved that he can do it here. The people who ask, acting like the grass is greener somewhere else really dont understand what a special place this is or the history of the program. The good thing is Marshall does.
                  Excellen point, Blackmag. Of course none of us can really speak for another person and many thiings can happen from season to season to change a coach's perspective.

As you say, as long as we are relevent, the chances are (likely) that GM would not leave for a major BCS BB school which has fallen into hard times, just fired their coach (ala UCLA last year), and he would have to start basically from the ground floor to revive the program.

But if a a storied coaching job opened up due to a retirement or the coach going to the NBA, say at Kentucky, NC, Michigan State, Louisville, or even KU (god forbid), we might just have a problem.

But if he stays, he may just give us a day (think years) like no day has been or will be again. Please STAY!

Comment

I feel like replacing Roy at UNC or Coach K at Duke whenever they retire would be a possibility for Marshall due to his connections in the Carolinas. But then again that's just speculation on my part, I doubt any of us know what all goes through his head when analyzing these possibilities.

Comment

I think he is here for at least another 4-5 years. By then jobs like NC, Duke and others may be there and he may go. But he's put this school and program on the map big time. I think there are other great coaches that wouldn't mind coming to WSU now.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerMas View Post
                        I feel like replacing Roy at UNC or Coach K at Duke whenever they retire would be a possibility for Marshall due to his connections in the Carolinas. But then again that's just speculation on my part, I doubt any of us know what all goes through his head when analyzing these possibilities.
                        Normally programs like that want to get "A 'Duke' Guy" or whatever the crap that means.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                          As you say, as long as we are relevent, the chances are (likely) that GM would not leave for a major BCS BB school which has fallen into hard times, just fired their coach (ala UCLA last year), and he would have to start basically from the ground floor to revive the program.

But if a a storied coaching job opened up due to a retirement or the coach going to the NBA, say at Kentucky, NC, Michigan State, Louisville, or even KU (god forbid), we might just have a problem.
                          If offered the job to replace a highly successful, highly popular head coach, especially one that retires; unless you were that head coaches assistant, refuse. Because that highly successful, highly popular head coach will forever be the standard by which you will be judged. And unless you can immediately exceed that standard, and continue to exceed that standard, especially after filling the roster with your own players, YOU WILL BE A GOAT.

Much better to replace a fired head coach that was a loser. A head coach the fans hate because he did not perform to their standards, or the standards of their lofty inststitution of higher BCS basketball. That way, no matter what you do, you're a improvement over your predecessor. And the fans will love you. And they will ask you to father their children. And they will hold up signs proclaiming you for President, or King. And life will be grand.
                          "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
                            Normally programs like that want to get "A 'Duke' Guy" or whatever the crap that means.
                            These two programs are going to go with someone from the "coaching tree" of that school.

Comment

Understand the inbreeding concept of selecting coaches and its comfort level, but seriously doubt that the results are better than selecting the best coach available.

Comment

Duke's coaching tree is surprisingly lackluster.

Collins at Northwestern is their great hope. If he fails, they will have no choice but to bring in an outsider when K hangs it up. That, or promote an assistant as a placeholder.

Comment

Working...
                                X