No announcement yet.

Gregg Marshall on the Jim Rome Show - Coming up NOW1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think last years FF showed HCGM, the team and the country you don't need to be a Blue Blood to have national success. He has all he needs to continue that success here--except for a different conference.

Comment

IMO, HCGM will be here forever so long as the school continues to support him and enable him to build and maintain success at the highest level. Once he feels he is hitting a wall, he will have opportunities elsewhere. All we can do, as a school, as boosters, is give them man what he needs. I don't think HCGM is the type to make outlandish demands, but at the same time, he expects to have the resources necessary to compete t the highest level.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        IMO, HCGM will be here forever so long as the school continues to support him and enable him to build and maintain success at the highest level. Once he feels he is hitting a wall, he will have opportunities elsewhere. All we can do, as a school, as boosters, is give them man what he needs. I don't think HCGM is the type to make outlandish demands, but at the same time, he expects to have the resources necessary to compete t the highest level.

One of the most encouraging things I have heard from HCGM lately were his comments on a recent podcast (Andy Katz?) is that he watches games on TV where bigger schools play to half empty arenas in the non-con, while WSU packs the house every night. More proof that it will take a VERY SPECIAL opportunity to catch his attention. He also said in the same interview that he gets EVERYTHING he needs to be successful at WSU and if he can't win here, there is no question or doubt whose fault it is.

In other words, he currently sees no ceiling at all at WSU.

The only thing I think we have to worry about is the rest of the MVC pulling their weight, and even that is a minor concern right now.
        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

another 3-4 year run of NCAA tournaments, coupled with additional MVC titles and possibly sweet 16s or better and he will expect a salary in the $2-$2.5 range with probably another $500-$1 million to spread around to his assistants. If we can get to that level, I see no reason he wouldn't stay forever.

Comment

At least Marshall is answering the question honestly. Nobody wants to be dropping terms like "forever" in a lot of things. A lot of coaches sugarcoat it just to appease their fanbases by saying they'll be they're forever only to turn around a year later and leave and look like a two-faced scumbag. Not Marshall. I can respect that.

With that said, he has a good gig here and needs to be given everything he requests at the drop of a hammer.

P.S. Awesome interview! Rome with solid, professional questions. Marshall rocking it back with solid answers. Rome loves Coach.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I should clarify my last response... the direct tweet said @jimrome - Did you ask why he's not calling UMKC for a home-and-home? #consistency
              Reply Retweet Favorite More Collapse

Which as we all know is absolutely insane.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                Coach Marshall never said the word "Admissions". He said "Applications".
                Yes, I misspoke, applications, not admissions, but thanks to the 25 people who have corrected me now :)

Comment

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
                  Yes, I misspoke, applications, not admissions, but thanks to the 25 people who have corrected me now :)
                  It wasn't geared at you as much as the 25 people who didn't see the 25 previous times this was pointed out.

I wanted to make sure it was clear that you misspoke, and that they all looked stupid talking about something that wasn't said.

Comment

That's a huge increase in admissions!

Comment

Very good interview. HCGM is an excellent ambassador for WSU and the city of Wichita.
                      He has a future in PR if he ever decides to get out of coaching.

Comment

As far as I know Lawrence and Manhattan are in Kansas. Last I checked UMKC was in Missouri.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                          As far as I know Lawrence and Manhattan are in Kansas. Last I checked UMKC was in Missouri.
                          Geography course. Thats epic.

Rack em!!
                          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                            I don't think he is driven by money. Other challenges or opportunities would certainly be appealing, though.
                            Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
                            Dynamics matter; situations change. I think we will be safe up to Maggie's graduation year. During that year and afterwards, I assume it will be contingent upon who comes calling.
                            These are right. He is presently motivated MOSTLY by family and winning. He probably will want reasonable increases for staff and self.

Comment

From an outsider's perspective, I imagine the KU-WSU-UMKC thing appears reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                I definitely agree with that. Maybe I'm just getting tired of that always being the question asked by the national media. It's like WSU doesn't deserve such a fantastic coach.

Comment

Working...
                                X