Gregg Marshall on the Jim Rome Show - Coming up NOW1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
    Duke's coaching tree is surprisingly lackluster.

Collins at Northwestern is their great hope. If he fails, they will have no choice but to bring in an outsider when K hangs it up. That, or promote an assistant as a placeholder.
    Tommy Amaker at Harvard?
    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
      Tommy Amaker at Harvard?
      I'd be really surprised if he has a chance after 1 NCAA bid in 10 seasons as a BCS head coach. He's killing it at Harvard, but that probably doesn't merit a shot at one of top 5 jobs in the country. He flopped bigtime with a lot of resources at Michigan.

Brey at Notre Dame is another decent coach from the Coach K tree, but 9 bids in 13 seasons at ND (and just 1 Sweet Sixteen in those nine bids) probably precludes him as well.

I suppose Bobby Hurley could become a candidate if he dominates at Buffalo and quickly jumps to a better gig.

Comment

Duke already has their next head coach:

"Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
          You comment doesn't jive. I don't see the correlation one bit.
          Can you expand a little ABC?

Comment

Originally posted by ripemupshocks View Post
            Most likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
              Can you expand a little ABC?
              Marshall is talking hypotheticals and not meant to be literal. Even Jim Rom, after Marshall was off the air, said those comments were basically calling out Self and Weber. You are comparing applies to lug nuts.

Comment

So are you saying that Marshall would indeed play WSU if he were at KU, and that he is simply positioning himself right now through his comments? Because if not, the other alternative is that Marshall really means it, which means just what I have already said, that Bill Self is doing the same thing Marshall would do if in his shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                  You are comparing applies to lug nuts.
                  He does that a lot. That's his staple.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                    So are you saying that Marshall would indeed play WSU if he were at KU, and that he is simply positioning himself right now through his comments? Because if not, the other alternative is that Marshall really means it, which means just what I have already said, that Bill Self is doing the same thing Marshall would do if in his shoes.
                    I'm starting to think you are SN's Bob Lutz equivalent.

Comment

• I am responding to this issue that you brought up; that Marshall says he will play anywhere, anytime (as long as there is a return game), but in his comments regarding KU/KSU, he say's "that if I were them, I wouldn't play us either" and thus that is in conflict.

That you raise that as an inconsistency don't make no sense. He ain't going to be KU or KSU's coach ever.

Comment

• Marshall says "anywhere, anytime"
                        Marshall says "if at KU, I wouldn't play WSU"

There are 2 possibilities:

Marshall's "anywhere, anytime" stance is based on being at WSU and subject to change if he coached elsewhere.
                        or
                        He didn't really mean it about not playing WSU as KU's coach and he is a bold faced liar for intentionally misleading people in an attempt to win this "war of public perception" with KU.

I don't think Marshall is a liar as I think option #1 is the case, but explain to me how there is any other option besides these 2.

Comment

• Marshall is saying IF he were a gutless wonder and a puzzy and named Self or Webber that he wouldn't play WSU.

I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            Marshall is saying IF he were a gutless wonder and a puzzy and named Self or Webber that he wouldn't play WSU.

Could you supply a logic diagram for your premise? I am having trouble understanding.

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                              Marshall is saying IF he were a gutless wonder and a puzzy and named Self or Webber that he wouldn't play WSU.

I don't think it's hard to understand. However, I don't agree, based on his public comments, he's calling Self and Weber cowards. As a coach at WSU, it would be good for the program to play KU and KSU. But he recognizes that if the table was turned, and he were the coach at KU/KSU, he would not see the same upside for those two programs to play us.

If you change your perspective, your view is likely to change, too.

Comment

• If you take one sentence of many paragraphs, you can change the WHOLE meaning.

Here is what he said:

“It would be great for us and great for the state and maybe the nation to see a game like that,” he said on Rome's show. “I think the last four years we've proven that we're a pretty good basketball team and I understand why they won't play us. I mean, they really don't have a whole lot to gain. They've been the big brother for so long, and they just don't want the little brother, who's now grown up, to be able to compete with them and maybe win. They don't want to give up that superiority in the household. If I were them, I wouldn't play us either. That's just my honest opinion. I would not play the game, if I were Bill Self or Bruce Weber.”
                                If you look at the whole thing, you see what point he was trying to make. He wasn't saying "If I were the coach at KU or K-State", or if he was in the future. He said "IF I WERE BILL SELF or BRUCE WEBER"

Comment

Working...
                                X