Gregg Marshall on the Jim Rome Show - Coming up NOW1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post
    Thought it was funny that when Rome tweeted about this some responded with "why doesnt wsu schedule home and home with umkc"

Inalmost slit my own wrists
    Maybe because we actually have in the past and probably would again if they could keep their RPI north of 150. Preferably north of 100.
    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
      He mentioned that college admissions to WSU are up 75% since the Final Four, and they expect that to climb to 100% by the end of the year. Could that possibly be true? I have no reason to doubt it, but that is INCREDIBLE!!!
      Whoa! Can you support this comment with hard data?
      "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post
        Thought it was funny that when Rome tweeted about this some responded with "why doesnt wsu schedule home and home with umkc"

Inalmost slit my own wrists
        Disgruntled, ignorant KU fan?
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Why doesn't KU schedule a home and home with UMKC?
          Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
            Whoa! Can you support this comment with hard data?
            I bet he was talking applications for admissions, not actual admissions.

Comment

Maybe "admissions" means telling the truth to right a wrong. HCGM could make that happen . . .
              If you take the high road, you won't find much traffic there . . .

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                He was.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                  Coach Marshall never said the word "Admissions". He said "Applications".

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                    I was just thinking that I read an article recently where Bardo said there is no evidence that athletic success like a Final Four brings about an increase in enrollment. So I went searching and found these two articles:

Basketball success doesn't always drive enrollment

Bardo has big goals

While he doesn't say it won't help enrollment, so far it hasn't helped. Although it still could, especially if Marshall continues to get us deep into the tournament most years.

I would speculate that of the 75% number Marshall mentioned, a large majority is likely due to the increased academic recruitment efforts.
                    I don't think this is surprising. The final four occurred in April. By that time, most students already had already decided where they would attend school in September. While there may have been some late applications, I suspect the evaluation process was pretty nearly complete by the end of April.
                    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                    ---------------------------------------
                    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Can't say I was thrilled with the way he answered Rome's question regarding sticking around WSU. Don't remember HCGM's response but it was one of those waffling answers that politicians use that I despise, something along the lines of "I'm not sure". Of course, Rome asked several questions one of them dealing with the continued undefeated status of the season so it could be that he was answering that part of the question first before launching into his standard answer regarding the program, facilities, fanbase, etc.

Nonetheless, I can't fault him for not just totally announcing he's never leaving.

Agree with all the other posts regarding the classiest coach in the NCAA right now. He's definitely one of the best in the profession right now.

Comment

But Rome's question was a bit different than other questions about GM's tenure. He asked if he would/could stay at WSU "forever." I don't know if I've ever heard that question.

Marshall answered, "It's possible" and then went into something about the UNI game or the streak. I don't know if I've ever had a job that I could say 100% I would be there forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
                          Can't say I was thrilled with the way he answered Rome's question regarding sticking around WSU. Don't remember HCGM's response but it was one of those waffling answers that politicians use that I despise, something along the lines of "I'm not sure". Of course, Rome asked several questions one of them dealing with the continued undefeated status of the season so it could be that he was answering that part of the question first before launching into his standard answer regarding the program, facilities, fanbase, etc.
                          He is not going to burn any bridges or close any doors. There was a interview with a friend of his after the final 4 who said that marshall had told him that the final 4 was going to open all kinds of opportunities for a great job and he told him that maybe he was at the "great job". But this tells me that he driven and not going to settle and if he thinks he can go somewhere else and win more and make money he is going to leave.

But would we want somebody who wasn't driven like that? With winning and winning big runs the risk that somebody might want him, but you know what I will take that risk and enjoy the winning while it lasts.

Comment

Dynamics matter; situations change. I think we will be safe up to Maggie's graduation year. During that year and afterwards, I assume it will be contingent upon who comes calling.

Comment

I don't think he is driven by money. Other challenges or opportunities would certainly be appealing, though.

Comment

He's said several times before that this is a "destination job if he makes it one" or something along those lines. Pretty much the same as saying "it's possible I'll be here forever." He's also said that it would take a special situation and the right timing for him to leave. In a coach's show earlier this season regarding redshirting Shaq, he said he wouldn't have done it if he didn't think he'd be here in 5 years. It's quite obvious he's here for the long haul, and I'm glad for the most part our fanbase has calmed down about rumors and has become more confident about HCGM's tenure. I think we're all in agreement that if the right blue bloods come calling he would leave, and probably not many of us would blame him for that.

It's going to be a question the media continues to ask him. We would do well not to read too much into his answers anymore.
                                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Working...
                                X