No announcement yet.

Wichita State media love thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are becoming more of a regional draw. Excellent!

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
      Wouldn't you just lose all hope for humanity should Wichita St. win the national championship in April but tragically finish in the final AP poll as #2 or #3 in the country. I could almost see that happening. Lol

#1 - Duke
      #2 - 3rd Place - Arizona
      #3 - National Champion - Wichita St.
      #4 - 4th Place - Kentucky
      If I remember correctly, and I didnot go back and do any research to confirm, I believe something similar to this happened to George Mason after they upset UConn. GMason beat UConn and made it to the Final 4. Then when the final AP poll came out for the year, the voters put UConn number 4 and GMason number 5.
      That always irratated the sh*t out of me.

Comment

• Final poll is worthless. Isn't that what the tournament is for?

Comment

• TCJ Sports Year in review: Wichita State played angry, played well

The theme developed from an upstart mentality characteristic of a basketball mid-major: Play Angry. In the process, Wichita State played well enough during the 2012-13 season to reach the Final Fou…
          Last edited by ABC; December 28, 2013, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• My wife is from Seneca, KS (14 miles from Nebraska and NNW of Topeka).

In the '90's when we visited for the holidays, I'd check on WSU games. The only thing in the Topeka paper was the score listed under "Other College Games". The same was true for the Kansas City paper.

The times, they are a-changin'. Now WSU is getting regular (and positive) writeups in both Topeka and KC media. I think we can add the Hutch paper to media giving the Shox more coverage. Baker is probably getting the Shox media coverage in that part of western KS. (Not much out there, which explains why the KSU network has so many radio stations - it takes 20 stations to reach 2,000 people for a specific event out there - I just made that up).

Cracking the NE markets is HUGE. That's pure KU territory. If you ignore some mutual animosity between KU and WSU fans, you're left with the NE_KS/SC_KS split which existed long before basketball was relevant in Kansas.

The Shox getting any press in NE KS is a new thing. The Shox getting positive press up there is a step in the direction of getting the Shox a better perception in that part of the State. It appears the Shox are no longer considered a slightly better version of Emporia State, which was the attitude through the '90's. They may have had us overrated.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• We went to the CBE tournament and one of my wife's friends went with us who lives in OP said it made her feel great to see so many Shocker fans in downtown KC. Some of the tavern owners around the P&L district seemed to at least be knowledgeable about WSU. So yes it may be changing.

Comment

• The Shocks got a good mention during the Syracuse-Nova game on CBS today. During the game they flashed up the mascots of the final 4 teams from last year along with their records and national rankings. The announcers mentioned that three of the final 4 teams are doing great again this year and that only Michigan was not off to a great start.

Also during halftime of the Lousville-Kentucky game on CBS, they flashed up all of the undefeated teams right now. The only one they talked about was Wichita State. Seth Davis basically repeated the same comments that he printed earlier about how WSU won't go undefeated because the Valley road is tough and has the "best fan bases in the country".

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
                  The Shocks got a good mention during the Syracuse-Nova game on CBS today. During the game they flashed up the mascots of the final 4 teams from last year along with their records and national rankings. The announcers mentioned that three of the final 4 teams are doing great again this year and that only Michigan was not off to a great start.

Also during halftime of the Lousville-Kentucky game on CBS, they flashed up all of the undefeated teams right now. The only one they talked about was Wichita State. Seth Davis basically repeated the same comments that he printed earlier about how WSU won't go undefeated because the Valley road is tough and has the "best fan bases in the country".
                  Didn't gotlieb try to initiate a discussion regarding the Shox being overrated in that Louisville game? I'm not sure why in the hell anyone supports his show in the afternoons. He's one of the only ones left natinally that won't give us credit.
                  "We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. As the general manager, I just can't figure out where else to play." -Pat Williams

Comment

• Originally posted by jpshocker View Post
                    Didn't gotlieb try to initiate a discussion regarding the Shox being overrated in that Louisville game? I'm not sure why in the hell anyone supports his show in the afternoons. He's one of the only ones left natinally that won't give us credit.
                    Snore..... snore...... snore.....

ps. This thread is about love.. :-)
                    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Best Start - (12-29-13).jpg

Comment

• Parrish

Comment

• Not love, but not hate either. Accurate assessment.
                          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• It is a damning piece on our weak conference.

Ohio State plays No. 6 Michigan State at the Breslin Center on Jan. 7 while Louisville plays No. 10 Memphis at the Yum! Center on Jan. 9. So that'll be a big week for those two programs. But Wichita State doesn't have a similar opportunity because the Shockers do not have a scheduled game remaining against a currently ranked school (or a school that figures to be ranked at any point during the rest of this season). Such is life in a Missouri Valley Conference that's missing Creighton. And though there's nothing much Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall could've done to avoid this, it could still be an issue on Selection Sunday.

I mean, how many so-called signature wins will the Shockers have then?
                            “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                              Not love, but not hate either. Accurate assessment.
                              I'm all for keepin' it real, but #17 is an outlier with almost every other poll.
                              "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                              -John Wooden

Comment

• He's 1000 times correct. BYU, Alabama, and most of all Tennessee have all withered away.
                                The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Working...
                                X